Stadium name

Anything yellow and blue
YeOx
Toddler

to change

Post by YeOx »

I think naming it after a local link is the Traditional and fair way, my choice is 'Sandford Park' -which to me sounds suave and sophisticated, unlike some of the offerings. :lol:

A Sponsors name would otherwise be acceptable, depending on who the Sponsor was of course.
UTM.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:Minchery Manor.
WTF !
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Am I the only one who gets p!ssed off every time I hear BBC Oxford refer to it as The Kassam Stadium? I know it's the BBC and they like to be accurate but I think they're actually a little more in tune with the listeners than that and they could refer to it as The United Stadium!

I like The United Stadium but would like The United Oxford Stadium more. I could live with a Minchery reference but would prefer something like Minchery Fields rather than Faaarrrrrm!

Had I won the Euromillions a couple of weeks back the new stand I would have built* at the fence end would have been named after my late father-in-law who helped to build The Manor on his days off in the 50's.

* would have paid someone to build
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

“Had I won the Euromillions a couple of weeks back the new stand would have been built
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:If it were decided to name the ground and the 4 (!) stands after the five individuals who have had the biggest impact upon the development of the Club since 1893, whom might they be ?

That should help shift a few more copies of Boris' book, but my punt would be :

Ron Coppock
Arthur Turner
Ron Atkinson
Jim Smith
Fred Ford.

Any other suggestions ?
Much as I approve of any attempts to help shift copies of my book(s), however feeble (!), I don't think any of those mentioned would necessarily have had the biggest impact since 1893 (possibly Arthur Turner). If that's the criterion then I'd go for:
Dr Robert Hitchings
Vic Couling
Harry Thompson
Arthur Turner or Jim Smith (or arguably Robert Maxwell)
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

I was also wondering whether to include Robert Maxwell, and also Firoz Kassam as despite their obvious failings, the former saved the club from going out of business and the latter delivered a new stadium.

But I bottled it !
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

My thunder has been completely stolen by Joey's Toe, but I ABSOLUTELY agree with everything said and for exactly the same reasons that Minchery Farm is geographically accurate and pretty unique, and would identify United immediately. Can't really enjoy the prospect of the &quotUnited Stadium&quot as we already have an unexciting and non-descript nickname, I don't think we should add to that burden.

Any takers for the 'Andy Knapton Stand'? (I'm also a fan of Ken Fish, Jim Smith and Vic Couling for the others).

Finally, since I'm in a naming mood, how's about a 'Sean Reck Undeveloped 4th Side', a 'Joey Beauchamp Physiotherapy Room' and a 'Billy Whitehurst Salad Bar'?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

How about the Milk Cup Stand, if that's allowed? We've still got the thing after all!
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:How about the Milk Cup Stand, if that's allowed? We've still got the thing after all!
We've got a copy I think Liverpool have got the original.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:
&quotGeoff&quot wrote:Minchery Manor.
Personally I don't want the word 'Manor' anywhere near it, The Manor is (unfortunately) in the past. And anyone who suggests 'The New Manor' should be taken outside and shot.
...except those trying to resurrect Ilkeston Town, whose ground is already called The New Manor.