Saw that coming

Anything yellow and blue
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Saw that coming

Post by YF Dan »

Mr Wilder needs a serious look at his second half tactics, not just this match, but generally. Chaos. Negative. Shambolic.

Our tactics, in case Macc weren't sure, were published in the paper this week. Hope to score early, then we'll defend because we fancy our chances of holding out for the win.

Only, if your only tactic is to defend, defend, defend, you will concede. To have a team on the run like we did, and to then try to shut up shop is stupidity.

Bollocks.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

Couldn't have put it better myself Dan, spot on.

We were so in control at half time could have been 4 up. Had we come out with the same approach in the 2nd half we would have quickly killed off any hope they had.

However we just handed their confidence back to them.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Saw that coming

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Mr Wilder needs a serious look at his second half tactics, not just this match, but generally.
Yep. That's the fourth match this season that we &quotshould&quot have won, yet managed to lose.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Mr Wilder needs a serious look at his second half tactics, not just this match, but generally. Chaos. Negative. Shambolic.

Our tactics, in case Macc weren't sure, were published in the paper this week. Hope to score early, then we'll defend because we fancy our chances of holding out for the win.

Only, if your only tactic is to defend, defend, defend, you will concede. To have a team on the run like we did, and to then try to shut up shop is stupidity.

Bollocks.
Ditto.

We were a joke which was summed up by our Manager plotting a fightback whilst being propped up by the dugout, arms folded.

On a side note, what was Mickey Lewis doing in the pre-match warm up, when Melville, Hodgy, Lindsay were putting the players through their paces?

I look forward to our tactics being reeled out this week so the man clinging to his job in Northampton can plot his assault on us next week.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Yeah I noticed this.

Wilder looked very &quotwell you lot f**ked this up and you're not getting any help from me&quot by standing there arms folded, leaning on the dugout.

I pointed out before the game on Twitter that the players looked very relaxed during the pre-match. Too relaxed. joking laughing and pissing about. Was really un-Wilder like..
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Having stayed in the same hotel on the Friday night as the team, whilst the players were kept in a separate room for dinner and then the evening, Wilder, Melville, Hodgy, Mad Dog et al were in the bar, and Melville and Mickey had not left there by the time we went to bed at about 1am. And they weren't drinking tea. Although the manager wasn't there at that point, and neither Andy or Micky were playing obviously, it's a pretty piss-poor way to prepare for a league game.

Speaking to Andy M on the morning of the game, he suggested the squad were naive and needed to learn how to win games. Based on Saturday, it's not only the players whio need to learn this.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Shame, it's not the first time I've heard about the management team &quotbeing a little hardcore&quot

Even heard rumours that some on the team, outside that clique were unhappy at the unprofessional attitude.

Whilst this sort of bonding while winning is somewhat ignored, whilst losing it's something people will pick on straight away.

Real shame if they went out pre-match. That's harks back to the pre CW days..
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotBrahma Bull&quot wrote:
&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Mr Wilder needs a serious look at his second half tactics, not just this match, but generally. Chaos. Negative. Shambolic.

Bollocks.
Ditto.

We were a joke which was summed up by our Manager plotting a fightback whilst being propped up by the dugout, arms folded.

On a side note, what was Mickey Lewis doing in the pre-match warm up, when Melville, Hodgy, Lindsay were putting the players through their paces?

I look forward to our tactics being reeled out this week so the man clinging to his job in Northampton can plot his assault on us next week.

Come on BB, blame the players not the manager'sbody language. The defending was shocking in the second half.
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Shame, it's not the first time I've heard about the management team &quotbeing a little hardcore&quot

Even heard rumours that some on the team, outside that clique were unhappy at the unprofessional attitude.

Whilst this sort of bonding while winning is somewhat ignored, whilst losing it's something people will pick on straight away.

How can you blame the appalling second half on the management team going out for a few beers on the Friday night? Sorry, this smacks of short memories some of you lot were deifying Wilder less than six weeks ago.

:cry:
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

the drinking culture is not confined to this management team to my knowledge the culture goes back at least to horton and moss
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:Having stayed in the same hotel on the Friday night as the team, whilst the players were kept in a separate room for dinner and then the evening, Wilder, Melville, Hodgy, Mad Dog et al were in the bar, and Melville and Mickey had not left there by the time we went to bed at about 1am. And they weren't drinking tea. Although the manager wasn't there at that point, and neither Andy or Micky were playing obviously, it's a pretty piss-poor way to prepare for a league game.

Speaking to Andy M on the morning of the game, he suggested the squad were naive and needed to learn how to win games. Based on Saturday, it's not only the players whio need to learn this.
I'm not doubting the facts you have posted, but it's anecdotal evidence of how they prepared all week.

/////

Over at the other end of Oxford I think Fordy may be in a bit of trouble...
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:
&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Shame, it's not the first time I've heard about the management team &quotbeing a little hardcore&quot

How can you blame the appalling second half on the management team going out for a few beers on the Friday night? Sorry, this smacks of short memories some of you lot were deifying Wilder less than six weeks ago.

:cry:
Well one of the earlier posters said that Wilder was not involved, it was others in the Management Team. Given that it is the night of the week before which they do their most important day's work, I think they should refrain. Surely they should be in the best frame of mind possible for the Saturday and as fresh as they can be in the morning? If I have an important meeting 'on the morrow' I don't go out and get lagered the night before.

As the Management Team have said, we have a very young team and so what sort of example is that to set?
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

I'm not blaming any drinking by the management team on us losing the match and I don't begrudge them having a drink! The timing of it and the giving people an excuse to have a go that worries me.

Did you notice how lackluster the warm up was pre-match? was really really noticeable. It was clear something was up before the talk of this came about. Maybe Mickey was feeling unwell....
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:I'm not blaming any drinking by the management team on us losing the match and I don't begrudge them having a drink! The timing of it and the giving people an excuse to have a go that worries me.

Did you notice how lackluster the warm up was pre-match? was really really noticeable. It was clear something was up before the talk of this came about. Maybe Mickey was feeling unwell....
Maybe Mickey fancies the Dead Mans shoes at Oxford City.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

I'm in no way saying that booze caused us to lose - far from it, as I said Wilder and the players were not there (although my girlfriend swears she saw champagne bottles outside the room of one of the players). It's just the attitude and professionalism. If I was one of the squad and two of the coaching staff were hungover and breathing stale booze all over me in a warm-up or on the coach I would think that the standards at the club weren't very high.