Do you enjoy listening to the drum the away fans bring?

Anything yellow and blue

Do you enjoy listening to the drum the away fans bring?

Yes
10%
No
70%
Not bothered
20%

Total votes: 30

The OXman Cometh
Brat

Post by The OXman Cometh »

Drums? so non league.
If you need a drum to create any sort of atmosphere then give up, as already pointed out we have the best singing in the world in our stadiums, we dont need drums.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Maybe the solution is that we use a free standing plastic seat (or even two or three if needed) in the West End for any away fan(s) who want to bring a drum to Minchery Farm. That way we don’t have to ban away drums and most people are happy.

And if Ian is worried about the cost I’ve got some old deckchairs he can have for nowt...
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Maybe the solution is that we use a free standing plastic seat (or even two or three if needed) in the West End for any away fan(s) who want to bring a drum to Minchery Farm. That way we don’t have to ban away drums and most people are happy.

And if Ian is worried about the cost I’ve got some old deckchairs he can have for nowt...
Sweet, that gets my vote!!!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Apparently Aldershot weren't allowed to bring their drum(s) in yesterday.
YeOx
Toddler

wimps.

Post by YeOx »

I find it very odd that most people seem to have a Drum phobia, i suspect that many of these cannot think for themselves and instead go with the flow.''They are so Non-league'' Is a popular saying, are they really?
There are far Bigger Clubs Home and Abroad whose Supporters use Drums to Enhance the Atmosphere.
Now most Clubs in this Country are obliged to have all seater Stadiums- many will agree that the Atmosphere has suffered badly because of this, therefore anything that might help to tip the balance is surely worth a go?

Those with a drum phobia - let's hear your alternative ideas to make the Atmosphere better.
UTM.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:Apparently Aldershot weren't allowed to bring their drum(s) in yesterday.
Source?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re: wimps.

Post by A-Ro »

&quotYeOx&quot wrote:I find it very odd that most people seem to have a Drum phobia, i suspect that many of these cannot think for themselves and instead go with the flow.''They are so Non-league'' Is a popular saying, are they really?
There are far Bigger Clubs Home and Abroad whose Supporters use Drums to Enhance the Atmosphere.
Now most Clubs in this Country are obliged to have all seater Stadiums- many will agree that the Atmosphere has suffered badly because of this, therefore anything that might help to tip the balance is surely worth a go?

Those with a drum phobia - let's hear your alternative ideas to make the Atmosphere better.
I've already given my ideas earlier in the thread. Do you really enjoy the incessant thump, thump, thump provided by some inane idiot? do you really think that it improves the atmosphere, I certainly don't, I much prefer the wit, banter and volume that a big crowd is able to produce.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

&quotYeOx&quot wrote:I find it very odd that most people seem to have a Drum phobia, i suspect that many of these cannot think for themselves and instead go with the flow.''They are so Non-league'' Is a popular saying, are they really?

Trouble is, once drums become an accepted part of the matchday thing then people will want to move on from that, and eventually you'll get a Mike Oldfield style percussion set with triangles, tubular bells, tom toms and glockenspiels. Or the game will become overrun with Glastonbury rejects, banging their tablas around a bonfire made from discarded programmes and shredded yellow pages. We must stop this madness before it starts.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

&quotboris&quot wrote:

Trouble is, once drums become an accepted part of the matchday thing then people will want to move on from that, and eventually you'll get a Mike Oldfield style percussion set with triangles, tubular bells, tom toms and glockenspiels. Or the game will become overrun with Glastonbury rejects, banging their tablas around a bonfire made from discarded programmes and shredded yellow pages. We must stop this madness before it starts.
We might see Ross back at games then.
YeOx
Toddler

Post by YeOx »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

I've already given my ideas earlier in the thread. Do you really enjoy the incessant thump, thump, thump provided by some inane idiot? do you really think that it improves the atmosphere, I certainly don't, I much prefer the wit, banter and volume that a big crowd is able to produce.[/quote]

I thought a crowd of almost 8,000 people constituted a 'big crowd' for us-
'Able to' and actually producing volume are a bit different. I have heard more noise coming from half that number of people many times, it all depends on what 'motivates' people, the Aldershot match obviously failed to ignite the passion and enthusiasm of the home crowd, therefore what can be done in these cases?
Wait until the next home match and hope it improves? I'm pretty certain that if some brave soul went against popular opinion and brought a Drum along to a home match -the 'Volume' would increase, if only from the Outraged anti-drum brigade!!
I really cannot see why there is so much apparent hatred of a stupid Drum
-Yes, a Stupid drum! Why not give it a go, if it fails all those erm drumming up support will probally slink away into the night/afternoon..
Next! Ahh Vuvuzelas!!! :O)
UTM.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Wait until the next home match and hope it improves? I'm pretty certain that if some brave soul went against popular opinion and brought a Drum along to a home match the 'Volume' would increase, if only from the Outraged anti-drum brigade!!
YeOx
Toddler

Re:

Post by YeOx »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]“Wait until the next home match and hope it improves? I'm pretty certain that if some brave soul went against popular opinion and brought a Drum along to a home match the 'Volume' would increase, if only from the Outraged anti-drum brigade!!
UTM.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:Apparently Aldershot weren't allowed to bring their drum(s) in yesterday.
Source?
I've got no reply so I'm bringing it back to the top of the board as I understand the Oxford United board have this issue on their agenda and the last I heard was that the matter was not resolved. Just curious, that's all, and also because Aldershot did actually motivate their fans at their (not very nice) Ground through the use of drummers.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

&quotYeOx&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

I've already given my ideas earlier in the thread. Do you really enjoy the incessant thump, thump, thump provided by some inane idiot? do you really think that it improves the atmosphere, I certainly don't, I much prefer the wit, banter and volume that a big crowd is able to produce.
I thought a crowd of almost 8,000 people constituted a 'big crowd' for us-
'Able to' and actually producing volume are a bit different. I have heard more noise coming from half that number of people many times, it all depends on what 'motivates' people, the Aldershot match obviously failed to ignite the passion and enthusiasm of the home crowd, therefore what can be done in these cases?
Wait until the next home match and hope it improves? I'm pretty certain that if some brave soul went against popular opinion and brought a Drum along to a home match -the 'Volume' would increase, if only from the Outraged anti-drum brigade!!
I really cannot see why there is so much apparent hatred of a stupid Drum
-Yes, a Stupid drum! Why not give it a go, if it fails all those erm drumming up support will probally slink away into the night/afternoon..
Next! Ahh Vuvuzelas!!! :O)
I thought the Aldershot support was loud enough without their drum(s). I thought our support for an 8000 crowd was poor but that is a common reaction when the team isn't playing all that well. It's bad enough having to watch your team delivering a below par performance without some partially deaf half wit trying to encourage the fans to sing when they don't really want to. It's a much more spontaneous and joyful affair when the team provides the impetus for the singing.

Thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump.

Come on you're supposed to be enjoying this.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:
Source?
I've got no reply so I'm bringing it back to the top of the board as I understand the Oxford United board have this issue on their agenda and the last I heard was that the matter was not resolved. Just curious, that's all, and also because Aldershot did actually motivate their fans at their (not very nice) Ground through the use of drummers.
It was a comment on proboards from one of the Oxford 'Ultras' who had spoken to one of his comrades from Aldershot. I've no idea if it is a new policy at the club, or just a one-off.