Unusual Events at Crewe

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: I hope you were careful about what you sent to the Oxford Mail today, says I, as your take on matters is always the first match report I read in terms of the non-internet post-match diagnosis. Hope you didn’t criticise Wilder for playing Craddock out of position, hope you didn’t bang on too much about the ref, hope you didn’t even suggest that playing just one up front won’t get Oxford United out of this League (like we did in the first half), hope you didn’t say that it was Them rather than Us who were doing the over-physical stuff - but if you do and The Fail step on yet another mine (like they did when they lost nearly all their TiU customers recently) then I’ll be the first in line to voice an opinion rather than accept Jon Murray’s two page spread as the gospel on the game, just like dozens of others behind me in the queue...
No.
Yes.
No.
Yes
Or something.
There are so many different angles one can take.
In Jon's defence he has to write his stuff as the game takes place.
Can't believe the speed with which Chris W gets his stuff out either.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote: I hope you were careful about what you sent to the Oxford Mail today, says I, as your take on matters is always the first match report I read in terms of the non-internet post-match diagnosis. Hope you didn’t criticise Wilder for playing Craddock out of position, hope you didn’t bang on too much about the ref, hope you didn’t even suggest that playing just one up front won’t get Oxford United out of this League (like we did in the first half), hope you didn’t say that it was Them rather than Us who were doing the over-physical stuff - but if you do and The Fail step on yet another mine (like they did when they lost nearly all their TiU customers recently) then I’ll be the first in line to voice an opinion rather than accept Jon Murray’s two page spread as the gospel on the game, just like dozens of others behind me in the queue...
No.
Yes.
No.
Yes
Or something.
One day Tufty will also step on a mine, given that sometimes he hits the 'send' key before the game has even finished :D
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
No.
Yes.
No.
Yes
Or something.

I'm confused! Where do we start applying those answers? Do you mean you weren't careful about what you sent? You may be a couple of answers short!

Anyway, (for people who weren't there) how long did it take the ref to change his mind and disallow the &quotgoal&quot and what tipped the balance?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
Anyway, it’s nice to be back home again at last (having stayed over the border last night) and on reflection I really liked Crewe. A big car park right next to the ground with PROPER exit routes, a wonderful view from the away end of a massive stand (Crewe have a quarter of their stadium at a Premiership standard) and a very away friendly clubhouse bar right next to their away ticket window that was selling Carlsberg on special offer for just £1.95 a pint. Wow, I even went back for a half just for the buzz of handing over only a pound coin for a beer. And the bogs inside the ground were akin to something you’d expect from an established League Club, unlike the toilets at Hereford last time around.
That home stand was huge, quite a surprise seeing just a big single tier rather than the identikit double tiers like our South Stand. I am starting to enjoy this adventure back to the football league, although with not much to compare to, this one reminded me of Woking and their big stand behind the goal. The stand behind the goal to our left was ridiculously shallow, only about 10 rows deep with executive boxes, and they hadn't even used the corners - almost as rubbish as the Luton stand to the left of the Oak Road - but not quite.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
No.
Yes.
No.
Yes
Or something.

I'm confused! Where do we start applying those answers? Do you mean you weren't careful about what you sent? You may be a couple of answers short!

Anyway, (for people who weren't there) how long did it take the ref to change his mind and disallow the &quotgoal&quot and what tipped the balance?

My take on it was that the linesman didn’t flag because he didn’t think that the player in the offside position had touched the ball. The referee knew the player had touched the ball but looked to his linesman and saw no flag so assumed he wasn’t in an offside position. It was only the persistence of the Oxford players that brought the two together. I imagine the conversation was along the lines of:

Ref “But you didn’t flag
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I'm sure that Ben Purkiss, being a law graduate, would have had a large involvement in the discussions.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Anyway, (for people who weren't there) how long did it take the ref to change his mind and disallow the &quotgoal&quot and what tipped the balance?
It's on the BBC highlights...

http&#58//news&#46bbc&#46co&#46uk/sport ... 955&#46stm
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:Anyway, (for people who weren't there) how long did it take the ref to change his mind and disallow the &quotgoal&quot and what tipped the balance?
It's on the BBC highlights...

http&#58//news&#46bbc&#46co&#46uk/sport ... 955&#46stm
OK, so by all reports the officials were dreadful over the 90 minutes, but having now seen the incident and seen how close to Clarke the offside player was, I can understand why the linesman did not register that the ball was deflected off him. I am just relieved that the officials listened to our players to the point of talking to each other and then reversing their (incorrect) decision.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Forget the ref, what I want to know is who's that defender stood 2 yards outside the line of the post as the ball flew just inside the post for their goal.

And who is it in the left back position that tries to take on two Crewe players and loses the ball, just before their volleyed chance across the face of goal (only visible on the longer Yellow Player highlights)?

Two absolutely shocking pieces of defending.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:Forget the ref, what I want to know is who's that defender stood 2 yards outside the line of the post as the ball flew just inside the post for their goal.

And who is it in the left back position that tries to take on two Crewe players and loses the ball, just before their volleyed chance across the face of goal (only visible on the longer Yellow Player highlights)?

I pretty sure the defender marking the edge of the 6 yard box is Ben Purkiss. You're right it's a shocker
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:Forget the ref, what I want to know is who's that defender stood 2 yards outside the line of the post as the ball flew just inside the post for their goal.

Add to that a ridiculous challenge by Constable which was just crying out for the ref to show a second yellow.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Other strange out of positions were one of our defenders up in attack, then minutes later, Constable tracking back in defence and trying to clear for a throw in, making a wonderful pass up the line for the Crewe players.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:[Add to that a ridiculous challenge by Constable which was just crying out for the ref to show a second yellow.
The first booking was ridiculous though. But a very silly thing to do when already on a yellow.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:[Add to that a ridiculous challenge by Constable which was just crying out for the ref to show a second yellow.
The first booking was ridiculous though. But a very silly thing to do when already on a yellow.
Indeed. He should take lessons from you given that you got a yellow card for your Oxford Mail article last week but went and moderated it for the Crewe game (though I prefer the real stuff you write in terms of a ‘fans view’).
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
Quite. No matter how daft the original yellow, you simply can't go jumping in to a challenge like that.