Travesty

Anything yellow and blue
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Travesty

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Looking at matches on this day, how the hell did this team beat Everton away? Surely the worst team to pull off an upset ever.

Match details
Date of match: 22-09-1999 (1999/00)
Competition: League Cup 2R
Opponents: Everton
Manager: Malcolm Shotton
Venue: Away
Attendance: 10006
Result: Won 0 - 1

Team Details
1 Andre Arendse
2 Les Robinson
3 Paul Powell
4 Peter Fear
5 Joey Beauchamp
6 Steve Davis
7 Mickey Lewis
8 Matt Murphy
9 Paul Tait
10 Steve Anthrobus (replaced by Derek Lilley)
11 Rob Folland
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

It was certainly a masterstroke playing Joey at centre half.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Not forgetting that the same team held them to a draw in the first match.

That team bettered Everton over 120 minutes.

I assume Everton were going through one of their bad patches at this point.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Not really that bad a team is it - only Fear, Davis and Antrobus really...
The rest is a decent enough side...
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotSWA&quot wrote:Not really that bad a team is it - only Fear, Davis and Antrobus really...
The rest is a decent enough side...
Arendse? Second-spell Bobby Ford? 34-year-old Mad Dog? folland?

Remember this was a Premiership side they were playing
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

They weren't going through a bad patch. If I remember correctly Preston went there in the FA Cup and the papers were full of &quotwill Preston be the first team to win at Goodison this season?&quot with everyone conveniently forgetting that we had already done it some months before.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

They weren't going through a bad patch. If I remember correctly Preston went there in the FA Cup and the papers were full of &quotwill Preston be the first team to win at Goodison this season?&quot with everyone conveniently forgetting that we had already done it some months before.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

The presence of Joey in that side gives the lie to the claim that one player doesn't make a team.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I well remember that game, and it got me thinking about the best goalkeeper we’ve ever had as opposed to the worst Number Nine (which has to be Steve Anthrobus?) but even on the Rage Online database I can’t find any stats.

Beano is well up on the list up front but who is statistically our best Number One? And no smart answers along the lines of Mr. Salmon being our worst keeper please.

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... dhoc_id=88
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

They definitely were not going through a bad patch. I'm pretty sure they went the whole season, or certainly a very long time, unbeaten at home (or so they claimed conveniently forgetting our match!).
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

A point of interest is that Rob Folland is now working on a production line in the same Llanelli based manufacturing company that I work for.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:I well remember that game, and it got me thinking about the best goalkeeper we’ve ever had as opposed to the worst Number Nine (which has to be Steve Anthrobus?) but even on the Rage Online database I can’t find any stats.

Beano is well up on the list up front but who is statistically our best Number One? And no smart answers along the lines of Mr. Salmon being our worst keeper please.

What stat do you want to use for best keeper? For me number one is Steve Hardwick but with a huge &quotlove&quot for Phil Whitehead
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

Roy Burton was my hero as a teenager (me as a teenager, not him).
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotYankee Clipper&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:I well remember that game, and it got me thinking about the best goalkeeper we’ve ever had as opposed to the worst Number Nine (which has to be Steve Anthrobus?) but even on the Rage Online database I can’t find any stats.

What stat do you want to use for best keeper? For me number one is Steve Hardwick but with a huge &quotlove&quot for Phil Whitehead
I have had a look at the pre-written queries and there doesn't appear to be an appropriate one. I wouldn't know where to start on writing a bespoke query.

What would be nice to see is a list of keepers having played at least 1 season (50 matches) with their average goals conceded per game with the best (lowest) at the top.

I would hazard a guess that Jim Barron would be up there - as would our current keeper despite his occasional clanger.

At the bottom - possibly Tardiff.

Oh - as an afterthought - exclude penalty shoot outs if any.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

A request has been made to my incredibly overworked IT Department to produce a suitable query for goalkeepers. With a bit of luck it may happen.