Not bad

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Not bad

Post by GodalmingYellow »

but I bet they can't put a fruit pastille in their mouths without chewing.

Get there early on Saturday, that result and performance will no doubt boost the gate.

I was told we've sold nearly 5,000 season tickets this year. Anyone on here know if that is accurate?
ConcreteBob
Baby

Post by ConcreteBob »

Wonderful performance, just shows what playing the ball on the ground can do.
OUFC_Gav
Toddler

Re: Not bad

Post by OUFC_Gav »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:but I bet they can't put a fruit pastille in their mouths without chewing.

Get there early on Saturday, that result and performance will no doubt boost the gate.

I was told we've sold nearly 5,000 season tickets this year. Anyone on here know if that is accurate?
Just over 4000 I think.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Was also nice to see an away side come to Minchery and try to play football. To be fair to Bristol, they had the better of the early exchanges and put in some nice crosses which is probably something we haven't seen from an away (or home?!) side for about 4 years!! I also think they must have felt a bit hard done by at 4-1 down.

Oddly, we were far more dominant in the second half but didnt score quite so many which was a shame. I wouldn't have minded 8 or 9!!!

It was just brilliant though wasn't it?! We played some truly wonderful stuff at times and players took their chances.

More of the same please!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Hummm... last time I heard plaudits like this was after our home game V Wimbledon. And what happened post that? We only won one of the subsequent EIGHT games.

No one can ever say it is dull supporting this team!

YELLOWS!
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

Great performance last night and I feel encouraged for the rest of the season. Hopefully we'll hold our own in L2. Heslop looks like a really good signing and I was chuffed for Midson that he got a goal as he once again worked his socks off.

Could be a long old season for Bristol Rovers...
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:Great performance last night and I feel encouraged for the rest of the season. Hopefully we'll hold our own in L2. Heslop looks like a really good signing and I was chuffed for Midson that he got a goal as he once again worked his socks off.

In my own inimitable style after about 15 minutes of play I turned to my mate and said &quotI really don't know what Jack Midson offers us up front&quot only for him to go on and have one of his best games for us.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:Great performance last night and I feel encouraged for the rest of the season. Hopefully we'll hold our own in L2. Heslop looks like a really good signing and I was chuffed for Midson that he got a goal as he once again worked his socks off.

In my own inimitable style after about 15 minutes of play I turned to my mate and said &quotI really don't know what Jack Midson offers us up front&quot only for him to go on and have one of his best games for us.
On Sat at Burton, when Beano got booked and everyone was chanting his name, one chap behind me was complaining to his mate about Beano and then shouted out, to his fello Oxford Fan's singing Beano's praise &quotHE'S NOT THAT GOOD&quot

Errr....
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

I think you'd have to go back to the days of Joey in his prime to find a midfield performance equal to that of Heslop's last night. For this level of football, he's a real find. Surprising that he didn't make the break through at Barnsley on what we've heard and seen to date. If he stays fit and on form, we might well be in with a shout this year.
bringiton
Baby

well well well

Post by bringiton »

...i thought it had a draw and penalties stamped all over it beforehand. BR definitely looked better in the early exchanges and we looked very nervous and rushed..then the floodgates opened on what was a perfect night.

The fifth goal would have graced any stage- the-pass-the cross-the finish...how long will we be able to hold on to beano in that form was the only concern as we tripped and skipped acroos the car-park!

the subs all looked very good when they came on too. happy days indeed
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

And, indeed, the last time we scored six goals in a match at home, the sequence of subsequent results was LDDWDLL ... and the last time we won 6-1 at home, the sequence that followed was LWDDLDLLWL.

But fortunately, Recordmeister has done the gloom, doom, one swallow doesn't make a summer, peaking too early stuff for me, so ...

Still trying to get over the weird feeling of being 4-1 up after 30 minutes (kept looking at my watch and checking my pulse to see if it had stopped or I had died). Probably won't get too many chances to play like that in Division Four but what was really pleasing was the way we played, players looking to break into space, players looking for a pass rather than just hit and hope, a bit of patience in build up.

Odd to single out a defensive-minded player in a night like that, but credit to Bulman for harrying and breaking up and preventing them building) humble pie for me, big credit to Batt who looked very good going forward singing my old tune, Midson's ability to win intelligent headers, to look for space and to look for an incisive ball really paid off for once. But everywhere things worked and everytime things worked out better than you could hope: when Hall came off, I thought Heslop was tiring badly too, so to prove me right he got up and down and scored in the 92nd minute.

Hey ho, what it means in the long run who knows, probably very little, but what a great night. Even had a decent drive home.
Last edited by Ancient Colin on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:I think you'd have to go back to the days of Joey in his prime to find a midfield performance equal to that of Heslop's last night. For this level of football, he's a real find.
Heslop's 35 yard chip was sublime and reminded me of Paul Simpson or Bobby McDonald.
YeOx
Toddler

Natural High.

Post by YeOx »

Absolutely over the proverbial after last nights superb performance.
A night that went a long way to re-paying the years of hurt, everyone of our players (except maybe Ryan Clarke who had little to worry him!) were on fine form and the ball was stroked around the pitch gracefully and with panache, so many excellent performances to single anyone out- and rightly so.

Like many i'm aware that it could be a classic case of 'After the Lord Mayors Show' on saturday- especially as there will be a large crowd (7, 500 || ?) but i'm certain CW will be reminding the players they have to maintain the set Standard and get the right result.

A decent home draw in the CC2 would be a boost.
UTM.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Will we see a Conference display from Bury (2 games, 2 losses so far so) on Saturday? I fear we could see XI men behind the ball for 90 mins following on from last nights result.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Will we see a Conference display from Bury (2 games, 2 losses so far so) on Saturday? I fear we could see XI men behind the ball for 90 mins following on from last nights result.
But now when the opposition &quotpark the bus&quot infront of the goal it looks like we've got a player (Heslop) who can score through the drivers window from outside the box.

I'm not sure if his performance last night can be compared with Beauchamp at his best or Hebberd (John Murray believes it was as good a performance as any in the best part of 25 years!) but he's certainly a quality player not only a great striker of the ball but also makes intelligent runs and defence splitting passes.

Early days still but it looks like we've found a more than adequate replacement for Murray's creativity in midfield.

As for the game - SIX- One!!! - The U's are definitely BACK and even if the Bristol fan's wanted to know who we were early on last night I'm pretty sure they knew by the time the final whistle went.