Yahoo in interesting article shock!

Anything yellow and blue
dr ceri
Brat

Post by dr ceri »

To be honest I find Jim White's stuff really annoying. He's so patronising about us whenever he deigns to comment, and it's annoying he only turns up to offer his shallow misguided remarks when his beloved Manure are in town.

Or is it just me?
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotdr ceri&quot wrote:To be honest I find Jim White's stuff really annoying. He's so patronising about us whenever he deigns to comment, and it's annoying he only turns up to offer his shallow misguided remarks when his beloved Manure are in town.

Or is it just me?
Good assessment. He uses OUFC as his 'little local league' team crutch, snigger snigger :(

But his book on kids football is very good, I'll admit that. Based on Summertown Stars as I'm sure you know.

I played for Stars in their first ever game. We were thrashed.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotdr ceri&quot wrote:To be honest I find Jim White's stuff really annoying. He's so patronising about us whenever he deigns to comment, and it's annoying he only turns up to offer his shallow misguided remarks when his beloved Manure are in town.

Or is it just me?
No it's not just you Yahoo's writing on most sports (I read a lot of the Baseball stuff) is smug to a whole new level. Almost as if you should feel grateful to be let into their private joke. And White is one of the smuggest of all. You can almost hear the self satisfied noises coming out of his keyboard.
Peterorange
Puberty

Re:

Post by Peterorange »

&quotYankee Clipper&quot wrote:

Or is it just me?
No it's not just you Yahoo's writing on most sports (I read a lot of the Baseball stuff) is smug to a whole new level. Almost as if you should feel grateful to be let into their private joke. And White is one of the smuggest of all. You can almost hear the self satisfied noises coming out of his keyboard.
I haven't read much of his stuff, I'm not sure why I was today - slow day at work. Early Doors can be quite amusing but I agree on the 'smug' epithet generally.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Shame really, because there is an interesting and important story in here trying desperately to break free of his dreadful style. There does seem to have been a shift in the transfer market in recent years - for example, with what appears to be (without any evidence to back this up) a big jump in lower-league clubs' use of long-term loans. Is it simply a question of lower-league football economics, or is it driven by what is happening at the top, with more player imports and more home-grown players therefore having to seek to get games lower down?*

Teams trialling lots of players in pre-season friendlies, many of whom are not up to it, however, it not new(s).

* Apropos the World Cup showing, I noticed one of England's U19 goalscorers the other day plays for Wycombe. It made me wonder how many players in teams like Spain and Germany were from Fourth Division sides...(count those three dots!) Come on you Stattos.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Whooo. 200 posts and I am now in puberty.
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Got a point on the trialists and Sky Sports News. That Crockford impressed but did not get another opportunity is an inequity. The use of the 4 at Brackley was inexplicable.

However it is a typical exaggeration in favour of a good story, as opposed to an examination of the facts. I’d summarise our transfer activity as: retaining continuity of the playoff team whilst recruiting better at value for money than those released.

Agree with Dr Bob. Some important issues are within this article contrast between clubs and players at the top and bottom of the professional game. Pity they aren’t explored in any depth.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:
But his book on kids football is very good, I'll admit that. Based on Summertown Stars as I'm sure you know.

That is an excellent book, it has to be said.

As for your Summertown Stars game, was your selection based on nepotism? :wink:
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:

That is an excellent book, it has to be said.

As for your Summertown Stars game, was your selection based on nepotism? :wink:
Of course. As a matter of interest what sort of local boys football career did some of the posters have. Perhaps there is a book to be written Boris?

I played for Stars for a couple of years and then Wolvercote B.C.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I played for Cumnor Minors when we were the whipping boys of the North Berks League. Conceding 30|| goals, especially against the likes of Didcot, was routine. I seem to recall that a week after our 2-1 victory against Goring, our rivals for the wooden spoon, they dropped out of the league (losing to Cumnor was obviously too embarrassing). I did once win a runners-up medal - in a five team tournament when three teams tied for first place. Maybe such a record should not be immortalised in print.