12th Man mascot at Wembley

Anything yellow and blue
Mark Sennett
Brat

12th Man mascot at Wembley

Post by Mark Sennett »

Oxford United has kindly donated the opportunity to be the club's official mascot at Wembley to the 12th Man. We have set up an ebay auction so fans can bid for the chance to lead the United players out on to the pitch for the Conference Play-off final. The winning bidder must chose a person under 16-years-old to lead the players out on to the pitch (as Wembley will only allow children to be mascots).

The mascot will be allowed to be accompanied by one adult (the adult will wait in the dug outs while the mascot goes on the pitch) and will meet the Oxford players in the dressing room before kick-off and then lead the team out on to the pitch. No tickets are included in the package so the winner must have match tickets and will be led to their seats by stewards when they return to the tunnel area.

The auction is already live on ebay and the starting price for bidding is £1. Bidding will end on Monday 10 May at around 14:00.

The auction can be viewed at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0600689363

Good luck to all those that bid!
Please sponsor the OxVox Walk to Wycombe to raise funds for Helen &amp Douglas House and the Oxford United Youth &amp Community Trust. You can donate online at www.justgiving.com/oxvox
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Nice one. I've put an early position in ................ (mmmm, will I get away as under 16, I wonder ??)
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:(mmmm, will I get away as under 16, I wonder ??)
I reckon
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

£51 already...
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

£77 actually....
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

The question, can I squeeze into a junior shirt? :shock: :lol:
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

It's already gone way over what I can afford for Jason. Elitist scum! :wink:
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Wait til the jokers from other clubs start bidding - it'll go through the roof!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Not a very popular scheme this one ...

http://forum.oxvox.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=504

and I agree it appears exclusive, if not grasping. The good thing about every 12th Man initiative so far is they are relatively inexpensive and evryone has the chance to contribute eg £2 for a badge or wristband but this auction is purely for the affluent (or stupid?). Much prefer Tim's idea of a draw for all junior ST holders.
Mark Sennett
Brat

Post by Mark Sennett »

Hi Hog,

I don't want to cover old ground too much. But people have every right to express their views on any 12th man idea. The 12th Man encourages individuals to run events and that is what I am doing. Some will be big hits others may attract criticism.

As I mentioned I wanted to do a raffle but it wasn't possible (see other threads for why) the club liked my idea of an auction and ran with it. The idea has had great coverage from the press and the current bid is already over £500. So I am pleased that this will draw a decent amount of revenue.

It's easy to take the moral high ground on this subject and I appreciate this view point. But Oxford United is a business and Wembley is a great opportunity to attract extra revenue. I am glad that one youngster will have a great day and the 12th man will earn a few quid.

Thanks to those that have already bid and good luck to those that intend to.
Please sponsor the OxVox Walk to Wycombe to raise funds for Helen &amp Douglas House and the Oxford United Youth &amp Community Trust. You can donate online at www.justgiving.com/oxvox
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

Sorry Mark but I can't agree with you on this one.

As several people have said the great thing about the 12th Man initiative is it gave everyone the opportunity to support the club for small sums of money.

This is taking the whole thing to a different level, I would love my daughter to be the mascot but sorry with three kids and a mortgage and the prospect of the Bullingdon Club Old Boys being about to run the country I just can't stump up £534 ( which is the current bid ) and many others are in the same boat.

It's not sour grapes which will be an easy retort, it's that many times throughout the season we have put a couple of quid in a bucket to get a badge or a mask or whatever and have felt engaged with the initiative. This auction has taken that feeling of being able to be involved away.

If it wasn't possible to arrange a means of raising money from the mascot opportunity that is more in keeping with the 12th man ethos you should have said thanks but no thanks to the club and let them as a business auction it. After all the net effect to OUFC would probably be about the same.

As you rightly say OUFC are a business, the 12th man initiative however isn't.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:Nice one. I've put an early position in ................ (mmmm, will I get away as under 16, I wonder ??)
My cat is only 5, and he's loaded at the moment. However, the item appears to have been &quotremoved&quot so he's a bit fed up.

If I can be helpful then why not auction off the Milk Cup while you're at it? That should raise a few bob for the Wigan Warriors 14th Man Fund.

Ditto for James Constable, but hey, I forgot, IL's going to do that anyway if we win on May 16th so the Man from Wigan can walk away with his money almost intact after the summer season ticket sales are in the till.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMark Sennett&quot wrote:Hi Hog,

I don't want to cover old ground too much. But people have every right to express their views on any 12th man idea. The 12th Man encourages individuals to run events and that is what I am doing. Some will be big hits others may attract criticism.

As I mentioned I wanted to do a raffle but it wasn't possible (see other threads for why) the club liked my idea of an auction and ran with it. The idea has had great coverage from the press and the current bid is already over £500. So I am pleased that this will draw a decent amount of revenue.

It's easy to take the moral high ground on this subject and I appreciate this view point. But Oxford United is a business and Wembley is a great opportunity to attract extra revenue. I am glad that one youngster will have a great day and the 12th man will earn a few quid.

Thanks to those that have already bid and good luck to those that intend to.
Clearly Mark's intention was good in that he simply wanted to raise additional funds, this just wasn't the right opportunity to do it.

As Tim has said on OxVox, this opportunity, which is likely a once in a lifetime chance for a junior, should be on a free draw of OUFC junior members.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

I bid at £50 so I got an email from ebay telling me the item had been removed for breach of ebay rules....
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:I bid at £50 so I got an email from ebay telling me the item had been removed for breach of ebay rules....
James, don’t worry about that stuff for now, as in less than 2 minutes time we will get the exit polls from the main media sources and find out (most probably) who is going to be running our Country when we wake up in the morning.

I just hope that whichever political party ends up dominant likes football and Oxford United in particular. Well, it’s a welcome distraction to all this stressy Wembley stuff for now..