Oh dear

Anything yellow and blue
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re: Oh dear

Post by tomoufc »

What's your point GY? Do you disagree with him?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

At last, some honesty in campaigning!
Mark Sennett
Brat

Post by Mark Sennett »

This whole incident is hilarious.
Please sponsor the OxVox Walk to Wycombe to raise funds for Helen &amp Douglas House and the Oxford United Youth &amp Community Trust. You can donate online at www.justgiving.com/oxvox
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

John Prescott twatting that bloke who egged him 9 years ago was hilarious.
kuriaki
Sperm

Post by kuriaki »

Just a thought - maybe she was a bigot.
headless_pnub
Brat

Re:

Post by headless_pnub »

&quotkuriaki&quot wrote:Just a thought - maybe she was a bigot.
If that's the case then tell her you disagree with her view point, not say she is a lovely lady then grumble to your staff about her when you think you're out of earshot.

If he thought she was a bigot, people would have much more respect for him if he'd told her to her face.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:
If that's the case then tell her you disagree with her view point, not say she is a lovely lady then grumble to your staff about her when you think you're out of earshot.

If he thought she was a bigot, people would have much more respect for him if he'd told her to her face.
Can't agree with that. I'm sure we all have situations where we have to be polite to people to their face but slag them off to others in private. Specially when we're 'letting off steam'. That's all Gordon Brown was doing. I think it's disgraceful that something he said basically in private and in confidence has been broadcast across the country.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Remember when he became Prime Minister? He told us to judge him on his &quotvision.&quot

Sound advice.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

But why is it that as soon as the immigration word is uttered
words like racist and bigot seem to follow ?

Why can't there be a serious, grown up debate about immigration
including both the positives and the negatives.

It's a taboo subject.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by YF Dan »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:

Can't agree with that. I'm sure we all have situations where we have to be polite to people to their face but slag them off to others in private. Specially when we're 'letting off steam'. That's all Gordon Brown was doing. I think it's disgraceful that something he said basically in private and in confidence has been broadcast across the country.
Completely agree.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

But he told her to her face that she was a lovely lady who had served her community well, and then - in private - firstly grizzled about how he shouldn't have been put in front of her and secondly called her a bigoted woman.

Whatever your politics, if you are trying to persuade millions of people to elect you to run the country, you don't want to be caught doing that.

Caught is maybe the operative word, because Cameron got collared by some chap yesterday about special care education and we don't know what he said in the car afterwards.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

There's a huge weight of evidence that suggests most 'hecklers' are plants, normally from opposition parties, but it's not uncommon also for 'friendly hecklers'. The appear to give the speaker a hard time but actually merely provide an opportunity to show how capable the person is at dealing with the public, allowing political points to be made in a TV news friendly format (ie not just a press conference). That's an aside.

I think the decision to broadcast the clip is what should be discussed.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

I agree about plants, but broadcasting the clip was (IMHO) newsworthy and in the public interest, especially at election time - whether by the BBC (which has had enough issues about impartiality) or commercial stations.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Who cares, but just for a laugh I’ll do a Hat prediction for next week.

Labour 1, LibDems 1, Tories 1, “others