Smells Like Teen Spirit

Anything yellow and blue
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I agree - I think we'll win and draw most if not all until the end of the season, but I think Stevenage will do better. Yes, we'll get Beano back, but he'll need to get back into form. Meanwhile they've got Yemi et al banging in hat-tricks every bloody game.

Of course, we get to play them at home, which is a full six-pointer, and if we can win that then we'll have a chance of finishing top.

However, my prediction is that we'll make the playoffs - and walk them!
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

It's all about form though innit ... we're playing poorly, Stevenage and Rushden are winning 6-0 and 8-0. Mind you they can get the jitters too, surely Stevenage can't be as consistent as Dagenham were??
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:surely Stevenage can't be as consistent as Dagenham were??
That's blown it then!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:It's all about form though innit ... we're playing poorly, Stevenage and Rushden are winning 6-0 and 8-0. Mind you they can get the jitters too, surely Stevenage can't be as consistent as Dagenham were??
Maybe we can “do a Burton Albion
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:It's all about form though innit ... we're playing poorly, Stevenage and Rushden are winning 6-0 and 8-0. Mind you they can get the jitters too, surely Stevenage can't be as consistent as Dagenham were??
Maybe we can “do a Burton Albion
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by YF Dan »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Denial doesn't help, it makes things worse.
In his prime he probably would have helped, but he's in his late '70s now so I suspect his pace might have gone.
Heheheh! Nice gag bozza.

I seem to recall he had a magnificent beard in the Boreland book.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Stevenage were dreadful last night against a very avarage Histon side.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quottomoufc&quot wrote:Stevenage were dreadful last night against a very avarage Histon side.
Hmm. 21 shots to Histon's 9, local press suggest it was like Thermopylae. And a Jon Ashton winner, sigh.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quottomoufc&quot wrote:Stevenage were dreadful last night against a very avarage Histon side.
But they won.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

About 15 of those shots were by Odubade and all off-target.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

BBC Report suggests they were lucky - selcted quotes:

But it was far from convincing by the league leaders, who never hit top form.

And they almost paid late on when Andy Pugh's shot flew the wrong side of the post before Chris Day turned Nathaniel Knight-Percival's attempt over the bar.

And although the performance was far from impressive, ......

But Stevenage never threatened a repeat of the heights they hit in Saturday's 5-1 FA Trophy semi-final, first leg win over Kidderminster.

Indeed, Graham Westley's side could not have complained if Histon had grabbed a late point, with Knight-Percival going closest to grabbing an equaliser.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

According to the commentators on Three Counties Radio Stevenage were unconvincing against Crawley and Histon. We shall see how good they are when they face the high pressure games against us and Luton.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by YF Dan »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:
Hmm. 21 shots to Histon's 9, local press suggest it was like Thermopylae. And a Jon Ashton winner, sigh.
I'd say if you get 21 shots in a match, there's a pretty good chance you are going to win.

People get excited when we have 5 or 6 chances.

As an aside, a stat I noticed on Sky Sports News today...Wayne Rooney scores with 14 percent of his chances, Ronaldo 17 percent, and Lionel Messi 20 percent. So if the best players in the world score 1 in 5 or 6, can we expect more from our players?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:
I'd say if you get 21 shots in a match, there's a pretty good chance you are going to win.

People get excited when we have 5 or 6 chances.

As an aside, a stat I noticed on Sky Sports News today...Wayne Rooney scores with 14 percent of his chances, Ronaldo 17 percent, and Lionel Messi 20 percent. So if the best players in the world score 1 in 5 or 6, can we expect more from our players?
I would have thought we could expect similar stats, as our strikers are playing against similar standard opposition to themselves.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I would have thought we could expect similar stats, as our strikers are playing against similar standard opposition to themselves.
I guess it depends on whether the quoted stats are for overall chances or on-target chances. If it's the latter, then yes we probably could expect a similar return. If it's the former, I'd suggest we should be expecting a lower return as I would expect strikers at this level to have a smaller percentage of the chances actually being on target than players at a higher level.