20%
Take the money and add it to the flag fund
7%

Total votes: 15

Mooro
Grumpy old git

Burgess

Post by Mooro »

Although it is probably complete speculation on the part of some bored journo, there is a story suggesting Dennis Wise is ready to put in a £250k bid for Andy burgess come the transfer window...

Assuming that we must be close to the wage cap, should we take the money to strengthen the squad or keep arguably our most influential player?

By the way, can anyone remember what we paid R&ampD for Burgess &amp Dempster?
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Wasn't it 50k for the pair of them.

I heard the Leeds rumour as well - I'd be quite happy with £250k he hasn't exactly been setting the world alight recently.

I rather think we'll get less then that though.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I don’t think the fee was ever formally disclosed, though I do remember Jon Murray printing something along the lines of £30k, but that’s not been confirmed since.

The last time we were officially told any fee involving any Oxford United players was the £85k that Verona paid us to release Craig from his contract, and the £15k we paid for Yemi to get him from Eastbourne.

I just wish Deano would see the light and move clubs - then we’d have some serious cash to play with in the transfer market as we’d get 25% of it.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Interesting contrast to D&ampR who are also said to be selling players in January for a not dissimilar fee.

Question comes as to whether they will be able to re-invest that money in new players to improve their squad overall and push on or whether this signals the beginning of the end for their title challenge.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

From Saturday he looks like he's been tapped up already. We don't have the luxury of accomodating unsettled players - if we can't reassure him that we can beat their offer, then let him go and get in someone who wants a go. With the money we might even afford a pair of half-decent wings, then worry about the striker situation when we're up.