terry TAYLOR...

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

terry TAYLOR...

Post by OUFC4eva »

Interesting letter/email published in the NLP today by our Goldalming
correspondent re the Conference Management.

&quotBrian Lee must go!&quot was the headline.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: terry TAYLOR...

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:Interesting letter/email published in the NLP today by our Goldalming
correspondent re the Conference Management.

&quotBrian Lee must go!&quot was the headline.

TT was also going on about every club needing to be at or near financial break even to be allowed into the Conference.

Would be an interesting number of clubs in Div 5 if that rule was brought in.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

That was indeed me, albeit edited and published a week late by NLP.

Clubs at all levels should operate at no worse than break even in my view.

I don't see why directors should be able to hock the future of clubs as their temporary playthings, usually leaving a mess forthe supporters to sort out.

It is only because of directors having ambition beyond their capability that causes clubs to go to the wall, or enter administration for local businesses and the taxpayer to pick up the bill.

It is not operating a level playing field if clubs are allowed to spend beyond their means whilst others act prudently.

Overspending also contributes to excessive wage demands from players, which then affects all clubs, and leads to higher ticket prices, and/or reliance on other income such as TV money.

Oerspending leads to interest costs, which in turn leads to reduced future budgets, or a spiral of overspending to make up perennial deficits.

We might well have a few more part time clubs as a result, and we might well have a slightly different World order of football supremacy, but neither is a bad thing. How many of use think that Chelseahave bought their way to the top with funds that they do not have? Most I should think. It mak a very uninteresting competition when the competition can be bought, even if you can't really afford to buy it.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Indeed. A bit like Us in the 1980's.... However, whenever I see the Milk Cup, I think of the wonderful sides I watched play in my very early days as an oufc supporter. In no way do I think of the debt buying that trophy (or our position in the top division) got Us in to. One which we're still paying back today, in the form of non-ownership of our stadium etc etc

Good times, the 1980's. Whatever happens to Chelsea in the future, I bet their hardcore supportbase will look back at the noughties with as much fondness as we look back at the 1980s.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Indeed. A bit like Us in the 1980's.... However, whenever I see the Milk Cup, I think of the wonderful sides I watched play in my very early days as an oufc supporter. In no way do I think of the debt buying that trophy (or our position in the top division) got Us in to. One which we're still paying back today, in the form of non-ownership of our stadium etc etc

Good times, the 1980's. Whatever happens to Chelsea in the future, I bet their hardcore supportbase will look back at the noughties with as much fondness as we look back at the 1980s.
I doubt they would if Abramovich got bored and pulled the plug.

Yes the argument fully extends to us in the 1980s. But who knows where we and every other club would be if no one had been allowed to overspend. We might now be a top flight team on a sustainable basis, and Chelski might be a Blue Square Premier club. Ticket prices might be affordable to everyone, instead of only the prawn sandwich brigade being able to see the likes of ManUre and Chelski, and football might be at more regular times and not subject to TV scheduling, and matches might be live on TV without having to subscribe to Sky.

Every time I think about playing the likes of ManUre and Liverpool, I can't help but remember the Mirror Group pensioners, and the local companies that got shafted by Maxwell, both during and after his reign, as a result of Maxwell's actions.

You have to live your life with morals, not a me me me attitude, having no cares for your responsibilities, or the rights of others.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I was in the Mirror Group pension scheme and I for one don't mind trading my pension as it was for the good times we had.

Having said that I wouldn't trade my current pension pot for similar success.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I was in the Mirror Group pension scheme and I for one don't mind trading my pension as it was for the good times we had.

I suspect there may have been one or two (tens of thousands) in the Mirror Group pension scheme who didn't have much interest in OUFC. A shed load of people lost pretty much their entire pension rights just as they were approaching retirement. Not good, and certainly not worth a trophy.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I was in the Mirror Group pension scheme and I for one don't mind trading my pension as it was for the good times we had.

I suspect there may have been one or two (tens of thousands) in the Mirror Group pension scheme who didn't have much interest in OUFC. A shed load of people lost pretty much their entire pension rights just as they were approaching retirement. Not good, and certainly not worth a trophy.
First Wilder, now you diss the Milk Cup. Will this blasphemy ever end?!? :wink:
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quottheox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

First Wilder, now you diss the Milk Cup. Will this blasphemy ever end?!? :wink:
:lol:

Johnny Aldridge likes to dress up in women's clothes...
Joey Beauchamp preferred Swinedown...
Jim Smith likes the sauce... oh hang on a minute, at least let's make it realistic. :lol:
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Everyone will hate me for saying it, but franchises would be the best way to manage it. If the concept of &quotOxford United&quot was owned by a neutral body (e.g. a trust, or perhaps the FA?) and there was a right to reclaim it from an unsuitable owner, then the winners would be fans.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Reintroducing the salary cap would be a good start. followed by some kind of capital adequacy assessment.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Fully agree(!!) with GY on this one - as someone who was just a bit too young to be taken to the Milk Cup it has since been nothing but money troubles which has resulted in our plumment down the divisions, well that David Kempout and Brian 'I don't need Mooney or Craig Davies' Talbot.

Living within our means should see us doing well in league 1, with the odd go at promotion - not too much to ask surely?