GET IN THERE !

Anything yellow and blue
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I was in a minority of one in my patch of the SSU, but I thought the booking for Batt was fair enough. He was late and he was high ... sure he didn't intend it, but their defender got the ball first and the ball was gone when Batt arrived. I'm not sure what else the ref could have done given that he was going to ignore all the green-tinged spectacles baying for a red card.

It's not intrinsically that much different from the Midson booking in that sense: I don't think Midson intended to hack their player down, he just got his angles and timings all wrong, but no-one was arguing over that one.

Couldn't really see the Green thing clearly but it didn't look much to me ... I think the test would be &quothow pi##ed off would you be if that were your defender and they got awarded a penalty&quot ... and the answer would be very very pi##ed off indeed.

Overall, I thought the ref had a decent game.

Creighton and Bulman were immense yesterday, most people had good games and credit to Constable for controlling his mouth for much of the match, despite some provocations that would normally have him bellowing in fury ... I wonder if the greater sympathy he got from the ref came from him being less in his face? Substitutions seemed to disrupt the shape again, although I guess Yeovil were throwing the kitchen sink at that point. Seemed to be huge amounts of empty space on our left as a result. I couldn't understand the intention of the Murray-Deering change, either.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote: Substitutions seemed to disrupt the shape again, although I guess Yeovil were throwing the kitchen sink at that point. Seemed to be huge amounts of empty space on our left as a result. I couldn't understand the intention of the Murray-Deering change, either.
We were getting pushed further back and Perry was obviously there to shore the defence up. Green was absolutely knackered when he went off. As for Deering I think the thinking was that he could take the pressure off a bit with a bit of dribbling and clever passing into space as they pushed more and more forward. He didn't really do this to any great effect.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Errr... We can't get Newcastle until round 3, when they enter.

Scumdon at home would be ideal on my 30th birthday...
Midson wanted Newcastle too - what's the matter with these people. Pull yourselves together?
That's probably where I picked it up from.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I din't think Perry was all that ffective, inf act I would say we were weaker when he came on.

Deering didn't involved as much as we have come to expect so his sub was not very effective either.

Let's not forget this was a cup game and Yeovil were inevitably going to chuck the kitchen sink at us inthe last 5 minutes.

I thought the ref got all the big decisions right. He could have been a little tighter on some fo the niggly fouls breaking up play, of which there were many from Yeovil.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

The Northwich player interviewed post match today said he wanted Newcastle too. Odd that they don't even know the make up of the compo!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

[quote=&quotBaboo&quot][quote=&quotSnake&quot]Steady on the alcohol, or you may end up inviting me to be one of your vast number of “friends
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:[p.s. Barrow = banana skin.
League or Cup or both?
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot][quote=&quotBaboo&quot][quote=&quotSnake&quot]Steady on the alcohol, or you may end up inviting me to be one of your vast number of “friends
Peterorange
Puberty

Re:

Post by Peterorange »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:What language is that by the way?
The whole match was live (with Spanish commentary) on atdhe.net

Thank God it was - since Radio Oxford got thrown off the internet after half an hour of the match.

It was a great help to ex-pats.
I ended up watching it online too on an ESPN variant, I was going to the game but haven't been too well. We looked very good and a uninformed observer would definitely have called us as the league team.

Can't remember a more solid Oxford team from front to back, it was great the way Constable was defending from the front and forcing mistakes.

Like others I found the Murray for Deering sub an odd one, its always difficult to come into centre mid, and with 10 minutes left and Yeovil battering away he was bound to struggle.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotPeterorange&quot wrote:Like others I found the Murray for Deering sub an odd one, its always difficult to come into centre mid, and with 10 minutes left and Yeovil battering away he was bound to struggle.
i think he was brought on as he could get on the ball and keep it at his feet.

creighton did deserve his man of the match award yesterday, but the amount of work and running put in by the whole team was notable, particularly murray, bulman, and clist.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:
&quotPeterorange&quot wrote:Like others I found the Murray for Deering sub an odd one, its always difficult to come into centre mid, and with 10 minutes left and Yeovil battering away he was bound to struggle.
i think he was brought on as he could get on the ball and keep it at his feet.

creighton did deserve his man of the match award yesterday, but the amount of work and running put in by the whole team was notable, particularly murray, bulman, and clist.
I'd add Batt to that list too. In the build up to the goal, he gave the ball away about 15-20yds into the Yeovil half, then chased back, what? 30 yards? to win it back again and slip it inside to Murray, Murray to Green, Green to Midson, bosh!
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Kinniburgh was pushed from behind. It wasn't obvious &quotlive&quot but the replays on the internet stream I was watching made it look a clear cut foul.

We looked good again, better than Yeovil (who may have been having an off day, but still). Once again the midfield won it really, Bulman/Clist and Murray never gave Yeovil time of the ball and they never settled.

Quite pleased with the draw too, on the face of it Barrow is a bit of a let down after Yeovil, but it was only during the draw itself that I realised there were very few teams that would have been a good draw. A winnable game is more important than league opposition again.
OUFC_Gav
Toddler

Re:

Post by OUFC_Gav »

&quotLucky on the Kinniburgh incident? Yes, I thought their player was just about to tap it into an empty net. The only thing I can think is that Kinniburgh was pushed into Clarke. Strangely the Yeovil players did not protest much.&quot

No luck (apart from actually getting some decent officiating, their player quite clearly pushed Kinniburgh into Clarke - frankly should have been booked.

I think the really big question is, given his reaction to being on camera when off the pitch, how excited and mad would Chappers have been on it? (http&#58//mincheryfarmweb&#46co&#46uk/m ... storyid=29 if you have no idea what I'm on about...
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

The ITV highlights did us a dis-service.

At the village bonfire party last night, all who had seen it told me we were lucky!

They laughed or scorned when I told them we dominated for most of the match.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:The ITV highlights did us a dis-service.

At the village bonfire party last night, all who had seen it told me we were lucky!

They laughed or scorned when I told them we dominated for most of the match.
From the highlights, I summised that we were well on top until we scored, but after that Yeovil dominated and could easily have scored at least once but for some woeful finishing.

Is that not the case?