Non-league attendance records

Anything yellow and blue
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

This is going to end up more qualified than the Stargate SG-1 world record.*

Probably best to set out your stall in advance, research it, and not bother about the rest.

So, &quothighest attendance for a post-war/post-Premiership 5th-tier regular league game&quot? Clunky, maybe, but exact.

* If you have to ask, you don't want to know.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:This is going to end up more qualified than the Stargate SG-1 world record.*

Probably best to set out your stall in advance, research it, and not bother about the rest.

So, &quothighest attendance for a post-war/post-Premiership 5th-tier regular league game&quot? Clunky, maybe, but exact.

If its post Premiership, it is post-war by default, unless you are counting the Iraq &quotwar&quot.

If we simply say for a fifth tier league game.

Headington had some big crowds in the fifties.

BTW I have to ask!
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

The biggest Headington home attendance that I can find for a Southern League game is 10,160 for Headington United v Yeovil on 7 April 1950. However, attendance records throughout the 50s are very sketchy, so there may well be some bigger ones of which I (and the Howlands) are unaware.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotboris&quot wrote:The biggest Headington home attendance that I can find for a Southern League game is 10,160 for Headington United v Yeovil on 7 April 1950. However, attendance records throughout the 50s are very sketchy, so there may well be some bigger ones of which I (and the Howlands) are unaware.
My anorak is way to small for the Howlands, so I'm going to bow to their vastly superior knowledge on that one.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Andy Howland no longer buys an anorak with ‘OUFC’ written on it anymore as far as I can ascertain, so we’ll just have to make do with the net for now.

Now c’mon, IF we beat the Conference attendance record on Boxing Day it will be the highest crowd in “Division Five
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:This is going to end up more qualified than the Stargate SG-1 world record.*

BTW I have to ask!
Are you sure you want to descend into the depraved depths of Sci-Fi anorakdom? :)

Geek Warfare!

Back on the subject of records, it looks like one of the harder ones to track down. Even if you start at the Alliance League, there don't seem to be any readily available records out there.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Tony Kempster might know although he doesn't keep records on his site.
entirely disenchanted
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Thanks Ed, but I’ve already been chatting to Tony Kempster on the email about this matter. Because he did not know my next cunning plan was to push out the question to the people/anoraks who inhabit the forum on his excellent site.

When that did not work I tried this forum, and in the end I even resorted to asking the I-freaks on TiU (though I don’t know why I bothered with that). Anyway, the upshot is that no one knows it appears.

So that’s it from me on this subject as I’m giving up on it. I’ve taken my anorak off and will enjoy reading the Oxford Mail shortly after Boxing Day when Jon Murray writes something like “it was the largest non-league crowd since, err, I’ve honestly no idea
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]Thanks Ed, but I’ve already been chatting to Tony Kempster on the email about this matter. Because he did not know my next cunning plan was to push out the question to the people/anoraks who inhabit the forum on his excellent site.

When that did not work I tried this forum, and in the end I even resorted to asking the I-freaks on TiU (though I don’t know why I bothered with that). Anyway, the upshot is that no one knows it appears.

So that’s it from me on this subject as I’m giving up on it. I’ve taken my anorak off and will enjoy reading the Oxford Mail shortly after Boxing Day when Jon Murray writes something like “it was the largest non-league crowd since, err, I’ve honestly no idea
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]Andy Howland no longer buys an anorak with ‘OUFC’ written on it anymore as far as I can ascertain, so we’ll just have to make do with the net for now.

Now c’mon, IF we beat the Conference attendance record on Boxing Day it will be the highest crowd in “Division Five
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

[quote=&quotGodalmingYellow&quot][quote=&quotSnake&quot]Thanks Ed, but I’ve already been chatting to Tony Kempster on the email about this matter. Because he did not know my next cunning plan was to push out the question to the people/anoraks who inhabit the forum on his excellent site.

GodalmingYellow
Senile

No idea if it is the record or not but we're not giong to beat it:

10/9/1949 Chelmsford City v Colchester United Southern League 16,807
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

By means of a diversion to our ‘blip’ there is some good news. Having worn out my anorak looking for stats (and asking others to do the same) I’ve come to the conclusion that (at least according to the Internet) the crowd we had on Boxing Day was the highest attendance for a league game outside of the Football League for over 50 years since Boston United entertained Peterborough United on 18th August 1956 in front of 13,431 people.

Can anyone find anything to beat this?

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/seas56.html
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotSnake&quot wrote:By means of a diversion to our ‘blip’ there is some good news. Having worn out my anorak looking for stats (and asking others to do the same) I’ve come to the conclusion that (at least according to the Internet) the crowd we had on Boxing Day was the highest attendance for a league game outside of the Football League for over 50 years since Boston United entertained Peterborough United on 18th August 1956 in front of 13,431 people.

Can anyone find anything to beat this?

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/seas56.html
56/7 Cheltenham v Weymouth 11,550 beats ours and is in the last 50 years. Actually it was 22 December 56, so its 4 days longer than 50 years from our match.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Bugger, just when I thought I’d cracked it along comes Terry with another one.

Anyway, I’ve now all but given up on it and mailed Jon Murray to ask his sports team to do some work on the topic.