Chances of Deano being sold by Sunderland?

Anything yellow and blue
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Sideshow Rob »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:Though Hull have just signed Jimmy Bullard for £5m, so they might be a little less desperate for a right-sided midfielder now...

Shame - 25% of £5m is a reasonably considerable sum
or Fulham might need one
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

He is heading to Wolves for £3m according to The Daily Star, apparently. Mick McCarthy is keen to re-sign his former player.
Peterorange
Puberty

latest news

Post by Peterorange »

Looking good!

from that finger-on-the-pulse organ, the Wallingford Herald

http&#58//www&#46heraldseries&#46co&#46 ... _windfall/

also in the Sunderland Echo today

http&#58//www&#46sunderlandecho&#46com/ ... 3957&#46jp
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: latest news

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotPeterorange&quot wrote:Looking good!

from that finger-on-the-pulse organ, the Wallingford Herald

http&#58//www&#46heraldseries&#46co&#46 ... _windfall/

also in the Sunderland Echo today

http&#58//www&#46sunderlandecho&#46com/ ... 3957&#46jp
You can bet your bottom dollar, that of the £5m, Sunderland will allocate only a small proportion to DW and the majority to Murphy, to avoid the sell on clause.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re: latest news

Post by boris »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
You can bet your bottom dollar, that of the £5m, Sunderland will allocate only a small proportion to DW and the majority to Murphy, to avoid the sell on clause.
Doesn't work like that I think. I'm fairly sure that if the valuation on a player appears wide of the mark the club could get a decision from a tribunal as to the player's worth.

And Bohemians have a 10% sell-on for Murphy.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

And you'd like to think the experienced, long-term captain of the club would be worth considerably more than a squad striker who only played six games last season.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotHog&quot wrote:And you'd like to think the experienced, long-term captain of the club would be worth considerably more than a squad striker who only played six games last season.
Let's hope so.

If DW is worth say £3.5m of that £5m, a 25% sell on would be £875k.

I wonder how much of that Mr Lenagan will want as partial repayment of his loan? A sizeable chunk I would think.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

I am working in Sunderland today and our factory is next door to the Sunderland Echo (that bit is irrelevant as is the fact that their cafe, which is open to the public serves donner kebab and curry sauce for breakfast).

The word on the street up here is that the deal is 90% complete with £4M allocated against DW and £1M against Murphy. Also worth noting is that I've heard two people mention that the deal is both players or none i.e. it will collapse if one of the two players fail to agree to the move.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:And you'd like to think the experienced, long-term captain of the club would be worth considerably more than a squad striker who only played six games last season.
Let's hope so.

If DW is worth say £3.5m of that £5m, a 25% sell on would be £875k.

I wonder how much of that Mr Lenagan will want as partial repayment of his loan? A sizeable chunk I would think.
Given that the club is clocking up deferred interest on the loan, repayment ain't such a bad thing
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I hope that the rumours that we may have cashed in with Sunderland the sell on clause are well short of the mark.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:I hope that the rumours that we may have cashed in with Sunderland the sell on clause are well short of the mark.
That would show up somewhere in the accounts wouldn't it?
Of course we won't see the 08/09 accounts until 2010.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:I hope that the rumours that we may have cashed in with Sunderland the sell on clause are well short of the mark.
Who’s we? Firoka, OUFC, or the Wigan Warriors 12th Man Fund? This long running Deano transfer speculation has induced a lot of chicken counting before the egg has hatched.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
That would show up somewhere in the accounts wouldn't it?
Of course we won't see the 08/09 accounts until 2010.

Don't think so, reckon it would not be necessary to disclose in such detail. Fans will never know is my steer. Happy to be corrected on disclosure point. .
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The accounts of OUFC usually show player contracts and amortisation (ie signing on fees being written off over the period of the contract) and profits/losses on sale of players.

There is also normally a note about a contingent asset regarding further amounts due from player sales, the amount and timing of which was uncertain, and so had not been included in the accounts.

There are a number of suggestions/rumours on the Deano sell-on clause:-
- it was bought out early (last Autumn say). This sounds plausible, as OUFC might think it better to have say £250K last Autumn when against the wall, rather than a potential £500K (or nothing if he got a career ending injury) some unknown time in the future.
- when WPL took over, Kassam valued the sell on clause at X, and WPL would not pay for it, so Kassam retained the sell on clause. Or perhaps the purchase price of OUFC includes an adjustment related to this amount.
eg Price is £2m, plus final proceeds when Deano sold by Sunderland. Not sure how this fits in with FA regulations on player contracts, but it would otherwise seem to fit in with my understanding of UK law.
- lastly, all proceeds go to the club, for them to use for whatever WPL like.