Us but worse

Anything yellow and blue
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Us but worse

Post by YF Dan »

On a different scale admittedly, but anyone else find similarities between us and Newcastle?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Cheered me up no end seeing them drop today. All the media were going on about what a tragedy it would be etc. etc. I just felt very sorry for Hull, and I'm glad they stayed up.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I couldn't care less about any of that lot, tbh. I was pleased that Sunderland stayed up, purely because I think they might be more likely to sell Deano and his value won't have dropped so much, but otherwise I can't see how Newcastle's situation is in any way comparable to ours.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:Cheered me up no end seeing them drop today. All the media were going on about what a tragedy it would be etc. etc. I just felt very sorry for Hull, and I'm glad they stayed up.
What a tragedy - blah blah blah. Why? Of course it will hit genuine Geordie fans hard but why any different to say Hull. Why don't the media understand that passion does not just exist in the North East (although Boro fans seem to have give up the ghost long ago with empty seats a plenty at the Riverside) and on Merseyside. Who is to say we are not as passionate as the Geordies - just not as many of us.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

What credentials did Alan Shearer possess to win that relegation battle?

The obsession with the &quotGeordie Nation&quot to have a &quotmessiah&quot in charge
of their club has been a failed policy Bobby Robson notwithstanding.

What I find staggering is how poor Newcastle are when you consider the players they have. You'd take their squad over Stoke's for example any day but I guess you need courage, plenty of fight, strength of character and Newcastle's players did not have enough of it.

The fans wanted Keegan and Shearer and Ashley duly gave them what they wanted and indeed craved. He invested £210m of his own cash as well on top of the initial purchase price and debt he took on.

Newcastle have at least 15 players on more than £50,000 per week and NO RELEGATION CLAUSES built into their contracts!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:What credentials did Alan Shearer possess to win that relegation battle?
NONE.

What about Kinnear. Hasn't he still got a contract?

If Ashley had not brought Wise in and left KK in charge of transfers I feel he would have been significantly out of pocket but nowhere near as much so as he is now going to be in the Championship.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Us but worse

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:On a different scale admittedly, but anyone else find similarities between us and Newcastle?
No.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I just thought 'so what?' really. Newcastle have hardly been a permanent fixture in the top flight - this will be their 5th post-war stint in the second tier. Obviously the whole 'best fans in the world' thing annoys me greatly, when they were regularly struggling to get 20,000 not so long ago.

But of course even the BBC seem to think that football was invented in 1995, so it's not surprising that Newcastle are held up as some kind of giants of the game.

Frankly, when you appoint a manager with ZERO experience at any level to help you fight relegation, you deserve everything you get.
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

I spend the majority of my working week in the Newcastle / Sunderland area so are reasonably qualified to speak on this subject....

Kernow Yellow hit the nail on the head. Just because they NEARLY won the league in the 1990's and Keegan acted like a prat on TV there seems to be a cult following for them, largely influenced by TV. Honestly speaking, the SAFC fans I know are far more passionate about their team than the NUFC fans are. SAFC have yo-yo'd a few times in the past few years and yet the support rarely wanes. I know you can say the same for NUFC this year but will it continue for a Tuesday night fixture at Blackpool? For the record, as a momento I purchased a pair of SAFC pyjamas for my little boy. Not that I'm biased or anything, it was simply something for him to relate to the place where daddy goes to work.

I will keep the Deano post up to date with any transfer info that I pick up.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I just thought 'so what?' really. Newcastle have hardly been a permanent fixture in the top flight - this will be their 5th post-war stint in the second tier. Obviously the whole 'best fans in the world' thing annoys me greatly, when they were regularly struggling to get 20,000 not so long ago.

But of course even the BBC seem to think that football was invented in 1995, so it's not surprising that Newcastle are held up as some kind of giants of the game.

Frankly, when you appoint a manager with ZERO experience at any level to help you fight relegation, you deserve everything you get.
Heard a Newcastle supporter on the radio saying that they had never before been in The Championship!! Why does the second tier of English football also not count when it was the good old fashioned Division 2?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:Frankly, when you appoint a manager with ZERO experience at any level to help you fight relegation, you deserve everything you get.
And when you appoint Joe Kinnear &amp when you appoint Mr Wise. What a mess that football club is in.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:On a different scale admittedly, but anyone else find similarities between us and Newcastle?
No.
Well, here's some to get you going, AO.

They appointed a &quotmessiah&quot to stave of a plausible threat of relegation, assuming the feel good factor alone would keep them up.

And most of their &quotbest fans in the world/country/league&quot assumed they were too good/big to go down.

Oh, and they're incredibly close to financial meltdown as well.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
No.
Well, here's some to get you going, AO.

They appointed a &quotmessiah&quot to stave of a plausible threat of relegation, assuming the feel good factor alone would keep them up.

And most of their &quotbest fans in the world/country/league&quot assumed they were too good/big to go down.

Oh, and they're incredibly close to financial meltdown as well.

Club gets relegated shock. Club short of dosh shock. Club appoints bozo tyro as manager shock. What's this particularly got to do with Oxford United? Sorry, don't get it.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Newcastle are the 16th biggest football club in the world, Oxford United were the 69th best supported club in England last year.

Oxford have a turnover of about £1.8m a year, while Newcastle pay considerably more than that just to pay the basic wage of Michael Owen.

Newcastle have 132 people employed in their marketing department, Oxford have David Jackson.

Alan Shearer used to work for Match of the Day, Mark Lawrenson used to work for Oxford.

Hard times for both clubs, but the similarities more or less end there.

////

But there is always some light at the end of the tunnel. e.g. does anyone remember a police dog called Bryn biting a Burnley player in 1987, an event that indirectly stopped the Premier League's newest team losing their Football League status? No, thought not - we were too busy celebrating staying up in the top tier of English football (again).
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Torquay player