On the pitch

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

D'oh! How careless of me to try and write Sw1ndon on this forum...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

keyboard warrior
Baby

Re:

Post by keyboard warrior »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:I also took my Nine year old in the LRT for the 2nd time, language although bad wouldn't be a reason to stop brining her, but She was scared of the trouble.

It's not just us though, Forest Green's fans set upon Telford coaches after the Setanta Shitcup or whatever it was, York fans are notorious and Wimbledon are currently getting critisiced for bottle throwing.

Morons are morons. Doesn't matter who they support.

On a better note, the pre-kick off stuff was probably the best atmosphere at the Kasstad and even equals some of the Manor days. Good effort by he fans there.

I also bring my two young girls to games. They were quite amused by people going on the pitch. They certainly were not scared. I will not be taking them in coming seasons though because of this &quotW***ker/W***kers&quot chant that has become popular. I just don't want them hearing that. Much of the over-reaction to the pitch invasion was probably by the same people that shouted this at the game.
I find this &quotholier-than-thou&quot attitude quite strange. I read a post on TIU [forgive me] that said we are a family club and we don't want people like &quotthat&quot here. We would rather have 6000 than 10000 crowds. Shouting &quotw***ker&quot constantly at people does not fit with my view of a family club, and they would not last long on The Apprentice if they were prepared to turn away a large sum of money. I'm sure KT would not be thinking along those lines.

I'm sure a lot of the rubbish being spoken at the moment is related to the disappointment of not making the play-offs, and having to play again in this poxy [oops] league.

I, personally, find the majority of the people in the centre OM, quite hard to bear [crap songs, more loyal, sexism, racism, homophobia] but I put up with it because I want to watch Oxford United. I just wish that they got off this moral high ground that they think they occupy, and stop criticising people that aren't the same type of fan as them, because when times are hard in the future we might regret being choosy about who pays to watch our team.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotkeyboard warrior&quot wrote: I also bring my two young girls to games. They were quite amused by people going on the pitch. They certainly were not scared. I will not be taking them in coming seasons though because of this &quotW***ker/W***kers&quot chant that has become popular. I just don't want them hearing that. Much of the over-reaction to the pitch invasion was probably by the same people that shouted this at the game.
I find this &quotholier-than-thou&quot attitude quite strange. I read a post on TIU [forgive me] that said we are a family club and we don't want people like &quotthat&quot here. We would rather have 6000 than 10000 crowds. Shouting &quotw***ker&quot constantly at people does not fit with my view of a family club, and they would not last long on The Apprentice if they were prepared to turn away a large sum of money. I'm sure KT would not be thinking along those lines.

I'm sure a lot of the rubbish being spoken at the moment is related to the disappointment of not making the play-offs, and having to play again in this poxy [oops] league.

I, personally, find the majority of the people in the centre OM, quite hard to bear [crap songs, more loyal, sexism, racism, homophobia] but I put up with it because I want to watch Oxford United. I just wish that they got off this moral high ground that they think they occupy, and stop criticising people that aren't the same type of fan as them, because when times are hard in the future we might regret being choosy about who pays to watch our team.
Sorry but that's bollocks.

Yes, the first guy running the length of the pitch in his underpants was quite amusing (although completely brainless given that we had a free kick, time was running out and we were desperate to score 2 goals).

But if the rest of them never turn up again then so much the better. Or do you think we should welcome with open arms people who goad - and even assault - opposing players while the game is in progress?

As to your point about bad language - I understand that it must be uncomfortable listening to it with your children in tow, but that's what you get in the middle of the London Road end, I'm afraid. Has been for as long as I've been going to football. It's part of the atmosphere, like it or not. I'm sure there are areas of the ground where it's not like that, if you're that put off by it
give me an O
Embryo

Re:

Post by give me an O »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I'm sure there are areas of the ground where it's not like that, if you're that put off by it
The south stand is very family friendly on matchdays (especially at the fence end) personally I'm not a fan of the bad language and if i was taking younger children thats where i would sit. Stewarding could be stronger in the SSL to remind the occasional swearer but to be fair the south stand is very family friendly!
Chris Wilders Yellow Army!!!!
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Dead right.

SSL is fine - I think you get a more sophisticated level of 'terrace humour' there as well.

I mean - for goodness' sake - you can't buy a ticket for the London Road End and then moan about the language.

If you go to Anfield you hear ghastly songs about Munich and if you go to Old Trafford you get the same about Hillsborough.

But it is possible to distance yourself from the lass savoury stuff buy sitting somewhere else.

I realise that doesn't make it acceptable, but it is a fact of life - deal with it !
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:
I hope we don't owe the HMRC too much.
HMRC is much less of an issue than it was a year or two ago. They now accept debt repayments over a lengthy period of time quite willingly.
I did ask Hector how much we owed them, but they came back with what appeared to be a valid FOI exemption to data disclosure (i.e. they would not tell me) so I never pursued it.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotkeyboard warrior&quot wrote:
&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:I also took my Nine year old in the LRT for the 2nd time, language although bad wouldn't be a reason to stop brining her, but She was scared of the trouble.

It's not just us though, Forest Green's fans set upon Telford coaches after the Setanta Shitcup or whatever it was, York fans are notorious and Wimbledon are currently getting critisiced for bottle throwing.

On a better note, the pre-kick off stuff was probably the best atmosphere at the Kasstad and even equals some of the Manor days. Good effort by he fans there.

I also bring my two young girls to games. They were quite amused by people going on the pitch. They certainly were not scared. I will not be taking them in coming seasons though because of this &quotW***ker/W***kers&quot chant that has become popular. I just don't want them hearing that. Much of the over-reaction to the pitch invasion was probably by the same people that shouted this at the game.

I take the point about the wanker chants but that's what they are. As for your daughters being amused by the pitch invasion then that's perfectly understandable as they are unlikely to know that it's illegal, that it could have long term implications for the club or that it was the last thing the team needed at that point.

If you already knew what the centre of the OM stand was like then I'm surprised that you were surprised by the wanker chants and that you took your daughters in there.

The simple answer is move to the South Stand.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotkeyboard warrior&quot wrote:

Why not just explain to your children what a wanker is, before someone else does to them or they go and Google it themselves?

At the end of the day it’s a derogatory word aimed at men who have little or no common sense, rather than men who masturbate (and are by strict definition “wankers
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotkeyboard warrior&quot wrote:[The simple answer is move to the South Stand.
But not all areas are language free.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotkeyboard warrior&quot wrote:[The simple answer is move to the South Stand.
Indeed. I wouldn’t want to book seats in the SSU anywhere near you if I was taking my children to a game, as you’re a bit of a rebel and you sit at the back of your stand.

But the SSU is still a bit tame for me, and the East Stand a bit rough, which is why my ST is at the back of the Manor Hospital Stand.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:The simple answer is move to the South Stand.
I'm sure Chomsky would have something to say about that.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:
I hope we don't owe the HMRC too much.
HMRC is much less of an issue than it was a year or two ago. They now accept debt repayments over a lengthy period of time quite willingly.
I did ask Hector how much we owed them, but they came back with what appeared to be a valid FOI exemption to data disclosure (i.e. they would not tell me) so I never pursued it.

It's confidential information, anybody bleating to you at HMRC would be sacked.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote: But not all areas are language free.
Indeed. I wouldn’t want to book seats in the SSU anywhere near you if I was taking my children to a game, as you’re a bit of a rebel and you sit at the back of your stand.

But the SSU is still a bit tame for me, and the East Stand a bit rough, which is why my ST is at the back of the Manor Hospital Stand.
Which is the roughest stand of the lot from my experience there last Sunday. When will you learn that the real supporters sit in SSU right by the half way line? :wink:
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote: But not all areas are language free.

Rebel? Have you seen him at the game with his weak lemon drink and cheese sandwiches pointing out the technical mistakes in the matchday programme? :lol: