Jeremy Clarkson

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Addendum - you can tell tomorrow's game is off can't you.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Clarkson is an odious, childish, selfish, unfunny cretin and Top Gear is an embarassment to the BBC. Why licence fee money is spent on those infantile wankers, spunking expensive petrol away, polluting the planet, encouraging little boy racers, white van arseholes, and corporate car cocksuckers to drive like lunatics, while providing free advertising space for car companies, I'll never know.

He's an idiot. I regret the fact he wasn't sacked. He should keep his bigoted, narrow minded comments to The Sun. Arse.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

You don't like him much then Dan.

I don't watch Top Gear but unfortunately it gets good viewing figures I believe. But so does so much lowbrow tat.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:&quotPublic figures have reacted angrily to the presenter's remarks, with Labour MP Gordon Banks saying what Clarkson said was &quotunforgivable&quot. (BBC site)

Gordon Banks? Brilliant!
Why's that? Because he's one eyed as well? :D

What a load of horse s*** this story is.

Anyone see Will Young on Question Time last night? Thought the crooner spoke well.
Will Young clearly had very little idea regarding the subjects he was mouthing about, and came out largely only with headline statements and little to back up his so called arguments. His defence of Carol Thatcher's comment was particularly loathesome.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:Why should Thatcher be sacked and Ross not? Because he's more 'fashionable'? Because he makes more money for the Beeb? There needs to be consistency regardless.
Because Thatcher made a racist and disgusting comment and refused to apologise for it, and in fact repeated it. Ross made some rude remarks and was contrite, apologteic, lost £1.5m and was suspended for 3 months.

Rudeness in itself isn't a justification for sacking. Racism, or rather making a racist comment is.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Clarkson is an odious, childish, selfish, unfunny cretin and Top Gear is an embarassment to the BBC. Why licence fee money is spent on those infantile wankers, spunking expensive petrol away, polluting the planet, encouraging little boy racers, white van arseholes, and corporate car cocksuckers to drive like lunatics, while providing free advertising space for car companies, I'll never know.

He's an idiot. I regret the fact he wasn't sacked. He should keep his bigoted, narrow minded comments to The Sun. Arse.

I quite like Clarkson (and James May and Richard Hammond). I love Top Gear. I find Clarkson funny. I like fast cars and interesting races of one transport versus another, and the unusual methods used to demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of different vehicles. There is a 2 year waiting list for tickets to be a member of the audience of Top Gear, which shows there are a lot of people who agree with me.

I think he is right on some of the issues he gets criticised for, by those who hold a rigid political view and don't stop to think about the issues properly. I hate the way judgement of a character is made from afar based on a politically motivated impression of the public persona.

It is just as inaccurate and irrelevant for someone to say &quotpetrol = bad&quot, as it is for someone to say &quotforeigners come over here and take our jobs&quot. Both are ill thought and silly.

Clarkson is sometimes over-bearing and over zealous in his comments, and his comment about Gordon Brown being one-eyed was way over the line, the comment that Brown is a Scot is irrelevant and pointless, but Gordon Brown is an idiot who has been responsible in a very large part for wrecking the economy of this country and he will pay for it at the ballot box, and our grandchildren, and maybe our great grandchildren will pay for the financial cost.

Clarkson sometimes publicly strays into the idiotic realms of the Daily Mail, but he is entertaining and presents a show which gives me pleasure and that is what TV is about.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Clarkson is an odious, childish, selfish, unfunny cretin and Top Gear is an embarassment to the BBC. Why licence fee money is spent on those infantile wankers, spunking expensive petrol away, polluting the planet, encouraging little boy racers, white van arseholes, and corporate car cocksuckers to drive like lunatics, while providing free advertising space for car companies, I'll never know.

Personally I think Top Gear is one of the best programmes on TV. And it probably brings in more money via world-wide TV rights than it costs Licence payer money to make.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:[

I quite like Clarkson (and James May and Richard Hammond). .
James May is fine when with Oz Clarke out drinking.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

I'm with Dan on Clarkson - Can't stand the bloke. Top gear is a sit com.

I don't think he should be sacked for his recent comments though. Although having said that I think a few on here are missing the point about the offensiveness of his remarks. It isn't because he called GB an idiot it was the linking of partial blindness to being an idiot. In the same way that it's OK to call somebody black or a bastard but not to link the two.

I do regret he wasn't sacked for his on-air comments about killing prostitutes.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

With Clarkson I can take him or leave him as the show producers do some original things now and again.

Not so Russell Brand, who goes out of his way to get in as many objectionable topics and words as he can and feeds off morons who laugh just because someone mentions the F,C, or W word live on stage. A bit like Roy Chubby Brown but without the funny clothes.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Geoff »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotGeoff&quot wrote:Why should Thatcher be sacked and Ross not? Because he's more 'fashionable'? Because he makes more money for the Beeb? There needs to be consistency regardless.
Because Thatcher made a racist and disgusting comment and refused to apologise for it, and in fact repeated it. Ross made some rude remarks and was contrite, apologteic, lost £1.5m and was suspended for 3 months.

Rudeness in itself isn't a justification for sacking. Racism, or rather making a racist comment is.
My point, or rather my suspicion because we'll never know, is that had the crimes been reversed it would still have been Thatcher who was sacked and Ross who had a slap on the wrist.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:

My point, or rather my suspicion because we'll never know, is that had the crimes been reversed it would still have been Thatcher who was sacked and Ross who had a slap on the wrist.
Maybe..

Depends on what your definition of 'rude' is GY. I thought Ross's behaviour was quite disgusting. He's also nowhere near as funny as he makes out, (not that that's a sacking offence.)

Carole Thatch did seemingly lose the plot. But the Beeb never did like Iron Maggie.

Generally, I think there is a mood in the country to 'get' celebs who act in an out of order way.

Lot of worried people having a lash out at their supposed 'betters'.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:

You may well be right on that.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGeoff&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Because Thatcher made a racist and disgusting comment and refused to apologise for it, and in fact repeated it. Ross made some rude remarks and was contrite, apologteic, lost £1.5m and was suspended for 3 months.

Maybe..

Depends on what your definition of 'rude' is GY. I thought Ross's behaviour was quite disgusting. He's also nowhere near as funny as he makes out, (not that that's a sacking offence.)

Carole Thatch did seemingly lose the plot. But the Beeb never did like Iron Maggie.

Generally, I think there is a mood in the country to 'get' celebs who act in an out of order way.

Lot of worried people having a lash out at their supposed 'betters'.
Indeed. Rudeness and comedy are both very subjective. I personally thought Ross was out of order as well, and I don't find him funny at all.

However, racism is several notches further up the scale of disciplinary offences in my book.

Neither Ross nor Thatcher should have behaved as they did, however, I think both got appropriate punishments for their respective offences in my view. Arguably, Thatcher should have been sacked from the BBC completely and the repeating of the offence and refusal to apologise does not help her cause.