Sam Deering (home)
56%
No one
No votes

Total votes: 16

boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Well, first off, I don't want any decision to be a knee-jerk one. This is helped by the current lack of available alternatives, so we have some time to consider our options before any new players arrive (if, indeed, they do), although with rumours of Jamie Guy about to return to Colchester we may not get first dibs on any new player anyway.

Second, if LSD shows some contriteness, and apologises, then I think it would put a different perspective on things than if he either lets it ride or laughs it off, so I think he needs to be given some time to do that (not immediately after having a reasonably serious operation). Obviously I don't condone what Sam is alleged to have said (haven't seen the comments myself, just the usual TIU allegations), but I know a number of people who say that Sam isn't racist. His alleged remarks would seem to contradict that, but as someone said up-thread, what people say at 17 shouldn't necessarily be used as a stick to beat them with. I know I came out with all sorts of shit at that age that I wouldn't dream of saying now (I used to call the Chinese takeaway the Chinkie, and the local newsagents the Paki Shop, but I don't think I was a racist, just ignorant - indeed, I was on the receiving end of a lot of racist abuse in my youth and I know how unpleasant it is).

All of this is a long-winded way of saying I think we should sleep on any decision for a few days.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:Perspective.

A long time ago I was 17 and I did and said a lot of things of which I am not proud. But I am older now and wiser and embarrassed to look back on it.

Deering is probably feeling pretty dreadful just at the moment.

He was wrong and by now will know that his expressions were unacceptable in any sense. but what he doesn't need is an outbreak of pious commentary.
So public condemnation of racism is pious commentary is it? You might want to re-think that.

That SD deserves sympathy for his broken leg is completely irrelevant to the racism issue, and should not be confused with it. If anything that SD made these comments about those assigned to care for him, probably makes it worse.

Yes, he was wrong to make the comments, and we would hope that he does recognise that he was wrong and why he was wrong. However, that should not deflect from the need to send a clear message to him, to those who look up to him, to those who act in the same manner as him, and to the people and community that have been offended.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

We, the Rage On sponsors of LSD, have done more than most sponsors do for their charges i.e. we have puchased a new pair of boots for him and I for one am particularly disappointed with what he has done. I don't think it would be inappropriate for Rage On, as his sponsor, to write a letter expressing our disappointment, especially when you remember that Rage On has been an active participant in the &quotKick Racism Out of Football&quot campaign.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Did any of you read SD's comment in its original context? It was a bit like when Big Ron thought he was off-air.

The lesson must be never to put anything on any forum or facebook or bebo or myspace or blog that you would not mind seeing on the front page of the Oxford Mail - or whatever.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Regardless of the outcome of this racism issue, I think football clubs (and any industry that makes young people very rich and places them as role models) need to counsel their young players on how to behave and how to cope with these pressures. The piece of advice on top of that list needs to be to stop using sites such as Facebook. There are now numerous examples of youngsters threatening their careers by trying to impress their friends by posting comments. We all did stupid stuff as youngsters but now its out there on the net for eberyone to see and people with a lot to lose need to think even harder about what they say and do.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:Did any of you read SD's comment in its original context? It was a bit like when Big Ron thought he was off-air.

The lesson must be never to put anything on any forum or facebook or bebo or myspace or blog that you would not mind seeing on the front page of the Oxford Mail - or whatever.
Yeah.

Oddly, just the other day, the one and only Nigel Short popped up on my Facebook screen (we have a mutual Friend) saying something characteristically objectionable*. Now as it happens I'm not going to publicise it, partly because Nosher says this stuff all the time anyway and doesn't care, and partly because it's not fair to the Friend. But other people might think and act differently.

[* not in the same sense as Deering's comments, I should add]
entirely disenchanted
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

What a dissapointing and tricky situation.

I would suggest a letter is written to Sam expressing how dissapointed the members of ROL are who have sponsored him and asking for his comments on the situation.

Any reply should be posted and a poll then taken as to what to do.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

That is a sensible suggestion which I support Scooter.

This is diificult but I am a Trustee of a youth charity and think that you should work on the basis of giving young people the chance to consider what they have done and account for their actions, before moving on.

The letter should state clearly that those who contributed to his sponsorship and boots are very disappointed and are considering cancelling/switching their sponsorship but would like a written explanation first before deciding what to do.

Is anyone monitoring the follow up on Facebook. Is he contrite?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

What a silly lad. Given the Rage Online stance against racism (especially the ROAR page), it seems impossible for the site to continue sponsorship.

I wish him well for the future, because I firmly believe that all people have the capacity for change, and maybe all the negative reaction will cause him to alter his attitude. I certainly hope so.

As for the club's response, while it has been excellently quick, a monetary fine doesn't really affect a youngster with a good salary and no dependents. I would prefer some sort of &quotcommunity service&quot element to the punishment perhaps going to help coach an asian youth football team might be a good place to start.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Obviously a very wrong and stupid thing to do. I hope he sees and understands the error of his ways.

But nontheless I want a fit Sam Deering playing for the U's again asap. He's the most exciting youngster we have seen for years and years.

Wonder what Liverpool fan's are truly thinking about Gerrard right now.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

making a racist comment doesn't necessarily make one a racist, and as amershamwrighty says, we've probably all said or done stupid things we wish we could undo, particularly when we were young.

if sam deering apologises and shows he understands that what he said was wrong, and why, then i would be happy to continue to sponsor him. that's on the grounds that i'm happy to support a young person who learns from mistakes, but i'm certainly not happy to do so for a racist, no matter how talented an asset he is for united.

the club are right to criticise him and fine him (minimum), but only sam deering can really make amends for this. i hope it's not going to be brushed under the carpet because he happens to be one of the more talented footballers on our team.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

My initial rection was to cancel the sponsorship*. Then I remembered what happened to my wife, who is most certainly not racist. Coming round from a caesarean operation she took one look at the nurse and shouted 'Get that black ba___rd away from me'. Once fully conscious she spent the following week apologising profusely to the same nurse. I agree with Scooter's proposal.

*Always assuming Martin received my very very late contribution?
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:This is a very disappointing turn of events.

I would hope that the comments are borne of naivety, rather than anything more sinister and SD is going to need to make a public apology on top of any discipline and eucation process, as well as undertake significant positive and public action in the community he has abused. He is going to need to convince not just us, supporters and the football club his employer, but perhaps more importantly those who the comments were directed at.

Its a sad indictment of society that has taught him not only that it is wrong to think in such a manner, but also that he found it acceptable to speak in such a manner.

Personally, I think switching of sponsorship by RO would be appropriate, and would hopefully send a lesson that those who have given him direct and actual support, are unable to do so when he comments as he has done.

I don't disagree with you, but let's please remember he's just a 17 year old kid. A tricky one for RO re sponsorship. Up to what the majority who put up the dosh think I guess.

The club acted very promptly and professionally. That's the only positive to glean from this sad little story.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I’m with the idea of a poll of those who contributed (presumably we’ll have to do that by email), but not until we’ve heard from Sam in the next few days.

Given we can’t ask for our money or boots back, we could make sure that the Rage Online name is no longer associated with him, should that be the decision of the majority. I assume that we’ve not used the corporate pair of tickets that comes with sponsorship, so they could be donated to some sort of charity. God only knows what we do with the shirt, though there are some people on TiU who are openly proud to be racist so maybe they would like it.

What a bleedin’ mess..
Zeke
Dashing young thing

Post by Zeke »

On a related note, I think management needs to send a very strong message to its players about the sort of content being put on sites like Facebook. Here in the States, there have been numerous instances of young athletes being penalized for either putting stupid pictures up or posting inappropriate messages. Be it the Northwestern University women's soccer team being suspended for posting pictures of its hazing of younger players to the New England Patriots cheerleader who was fired for posting pics of her and a friend drawing swastikas on the forehead of a passed out friend, young players should be told to avoid making these kinds of mistakes that are potentially life changing.

An example here in Austin, shortly after Obama was elected, a promising young reserve player on the University of Texas football team was kicked off the team for posting a rascist comment about Obama on his Facebook page. Apparantly, a friend had texted a disgusting joke about Obama and the young man thought it amusing and put it up. His coach found out about it a few days later and booted him off the team and yanked his scholarship, no questions asked. He has subsequently withdrawn from school.

My point is, the club could avoid this kind of embarrassing and distasteful situation with a little proactive education.
Last edited by Zeke on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.