Is it time?

Anything yellow and blue

Has Patto been given enough time as Manager?

Yes, sack him, he'll never make us into title winners
46%
No, for feck's sake, it's only 3 months into his first full season
54%

Total votes: 24

Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

What, like the dead cat bounce that happened when Jim Smith first took over, you mean?!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

That was different. Jim screwed up because he was under pressure to deliver, and by deliver I donÔÇÖt mean saving us from relegation but getting us up the League II table into a respectable position post-Kassam to show how great WPL were. As a result he tinkered more than he had to and it backfired in the worst possible way.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:What, like the dead cat bounce that happened when Jim Smith first took over, you mean?!
The one last season when Patto took over was really good too.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I said no because there have been some signs of improvement - the last few league home games is clearly what Patto is aiming for - and I much prefer that then the dross we had under Kemp/Talbot/Atkins.

Agree with Mooro, people all to easily forget the net result of changing manager every season brings - our demise to the conference. Even Atkins managed to turn things around after two full seasons in charge and hasn't exactly set the world alight elsewhere - sacked from Rovers and Torquay.

I also think Patto has had his hands tied by the financial situation at the moment (Smith brought a number of loan players in when things started going wrong - Patto clearly isn't allowed to do that) and the contracts previously - Hutchs wages would pay for another three players at this level and this would give us the depth we need to the squad - at the moment what can Patto do - he has to play the same players because we haven't got any depth.

That doesn't excuse performances like Histon Grays and Lewes (footballing giants!) as we're better then that but he needs to start getting the best out of these players and fast.

All about confidence to me - teams see us as a easy three points away from home at the moment and our heads drop as soon as we concede. Compare that to our first season in the league - teams feared us, were happy with a draw and we believed we could beat anyone.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Myles said 'Maybe David Kemp was right after all......'

Wash your mouth with soap and water immediately!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Two more games for me. Mess those two up and the season's almost over before Christmas (again).
That’s it for me, I'm not kidded by Kiddie.

OUT - before our season dies completely.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Every football fan who knows anything about the game knows the cliche that you have to give a manager time to build a winning team and success doesn't come over-night. So why is it that there are so many Oxford fans calling for Patterson to be sacked? Hasn't the last 12 years of failure taught them anything?

The last Oxford manager given the luxury of 2 full seasons in charge was Denis Smith for the 94/95 and 95/96 seasons. Anybody remember what happened in 1996?

Before Denis Smith, Brian Horton had 2 full seasons in charge. OK he didn't win promotion but in his second full season we finished in the highest league position we've ended a season since he left.

Before Horton the previous manager with 2 full seasons was Jim Smith. His second full season was the 84/85 season.

I think there's a pattern developing here.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Given the resources available to Patto compared to the rest of the league I’m sorry, but a record of W22 D8 L19 in Division V ain’t good in my view, and it reads even worse if you take away the 9 wins in 11 games he got at the end of last season, when nothing mattered other than the players win bonuses.

I’m also very, very, bored of watching hoofball, listening to excuse after excuse and that familiar line of “we’re only x points from the play-offs so if we go on a little run….
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Hey, we've still got ... no, I can't do it!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotMally&quot wrote: The last Oxford manager given the luxury of 2 full seasons in charge was Denis Smith for the 94/95 and 95/96 seasons.
http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... pe=manager
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMally&quot wrote:Every football fan who knows anything about the game knows the cliche that you have to give a manager time to build a winning team and success doesn't come over-night. So why is it that there are so many Oxford fans calling for Patterson to be sacked? Hasn't the last 12 years of failure taught them anything?

The last Oxford manager given the luxury of 2 full seasons in charge was Denis Smith for the 94/95 and 95/96 seasons. Anybody remember what happened in 1996?

Before Denis Smith, Brian Horton had 2 full seasons in charge. OK he didn't win promotion but in his second full season we finished in the highest league position we've ended a season since he left.

Before Horton the previous manager with 2 full seasons was Jim Smith. His second full season was the 84/85 season.

Yes, but we could see improvement under these guys. I cannot see that we have made one step forward under Patto. We are now even losing by more than one goal a game which was not something that had happened until the last eight days. (That signalled Smith out). We are going backwards not making progress. Yes he is rather hamstrung by Jim Smith's attrocious decision making - play free and easy with money that wasn't his - but he should still be doing a lot better than he is. At this point in time I have no faith that he will turn it around any time in the next x years. Where is there any evidence that he knows what he is doing. 12 months and what. He might have to learn his trade somewhere but not at the expense of continuing to ***k up the football club I support in the same way others who have gone before him have done.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

I have voted no but if the away performances do not improve I would get rid just before the Stevenage game.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:Every football fan who knows anything about the game knows the cliche that you have to give a manager time to build a winning team and success doesn't come over-night. So why is it that there are so many Oxford fans calling for Patterson to be sacked? Hasn't the last 12 years of failure taught them anything?

Yes, but we could see improvement under these guys. I cannot see that we have made one step forward under Patto. We are now even losing by more than one goal a game which was not something that had happened until the last eight days. (That signalled Smith out). We are going backwards not making progress. Yes he is rather hamstrung by Jim Smith's attrocious decision making - play free and easy with money that wasn't his - but he should still be doing a lot better than he is. At this point in time I have no faith that he will turn it around any time in the next x years. Where is there any evidence that he knows what he is doing. 12 months and what. He might have to learn his trade somewhere but not at the expense of continuing to ***k up the football club I support in the same way others who have gone before him have done.

Patterson's future will be governed by next three matches. We have to get some points away from home. This Thursday is particularly important.

I don't agree there has been no progress at all.

The youth players are coming through and are looking like decent performers and we seem to have become really quite effective at home.

I'd rather watch the team we have got now than the team of late October 2007 as well.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote: The last Oxford manager given the luxury of 2 full seasons in charge was Denis Smith for the 94/95 and 95/96 seasons.
http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... pe=manager
Are you seasonally challenged Snake? Atkins never got 2 full seasons.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:I have voted no but if the away performances do not improve I would get rid just before the Stevenage game.
When you say &quotjust before&quot, do you mean about five minutes?
entirely disenchanted