The unrecognised tactical genius of English football

Anything yellow and blue
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Arghhhh. There are mitigating circumstances. But I humbly apologise.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: The unrecognised tactical genius of English football

Post by Geoff »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:That's what happens when you're abroad, you miss things.
Well I certainly don't miss him. It almost ruined my weekend when I saw him being interviewed on MOTD.
Actually, good luck to him for rebuilding his career. He's obviously a very decent assistant manager.

He is, debatably, the worst manger we have ever employed however.
No debate required.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote: Well I certainly don't miss him. It almost ruined my weekend when I saw him being interviewed on MOTD.
Actually, good luck to him for rebuilding his career. He's obviously a very decent assistant manager.

Absolutelt spot on!

Hmmmm.....this may be worth a separate thread, but there are people who have been associated with my beloved football club who have damaged it in some way and I find it impossible to feel anything other than ill-will towards them.

Kemp said some very unpleasant things about OUFC when he was dismissed. Kinnear is just a liar who left us in the Kemp lurch. Andy Burgess is another one.

Contrast them with - Steve Basham.....Mark Wright....and others who have left us but still have feelings for the club.

OUFC have been too big a part of my life for a very long time for me to forgive fly-by-night types who turn up, take a wedge and then have a pop at us from a distance.

Good luck to David Kemp ? How about good luck to Dave Langan instead.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote: Well I certainly don't miss him. It almost ruined my weekend when I saw him being interviewed on MOTD.

No debate required.
Disagree. Call Brian Talbot and Mark Wright. Oh yes,and Bill Asprey.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Kemp's arrogance made him the worst I can recall.

He thought he was brilliant, had never achieved anything before, was always quick to blame everybody else and never showed any sign of really caring.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote: Actually, good luck to him for rebuilding his career. He's obviously a very decent assistant manager.

No debate required.
Kemp 31 games, 24 points = 0.774 points per game
Talbot 44 games, 46 points = 1.045 points per game
Wright 22 games, 19 points = 0.864 points per game
Asprey 70 games, 80 points = 1.143 points per game

Statistically at least Kemp is the worst.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

A tough one is this, as you have to consider the level we were playing at as well as the results and the backroom hassle and/or money and Chairman problems they had to put up with.

For example, Mark Lawrenson had a 4,8,11 record (W,D,L) in the top flight while KempOut’s read 7,3,21 in the third tier.

Other candidates include those who’ve had loads of money thrown at them just to beat non-league and often part-time opposition, such as Jim Smith in his second spell and now Patto. Graham Rix (6,7,16) never really impressed me much either, and like Mark Wright (4,7,11) both of them also had problems with sensitive but non-football issues.

On the flip side, of the best managers we’ve ever had then there is no question it’s between Jim Smith in his first spell and Maurice Evans (46, 41,61). Our best ever manager was of course Ramon Diaz (10,7,8 ) but he wasn’t that all that fantastic when he managed us.

I also liked Denis Smith and Horton Out though I have a feeling this debate has some legs on it and will never be resolved.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: On the flip side, of the best managers we’ve ever had then there is no question it’s between Jim Smith in his first spell and Maurice Evans (46, 41,61). Our best ever manager was of course Ramon Diaz (10,7,8 ) but he wasn’t that all that fantastic when he managed us.
I don't think you can really discount Arthur Turner from the best managers contenders - quite possibly the most important person in the history of the club.

Mark Lawrenson - small error on his stats though, most of the games were of course in the second tier of English football, not the top tier.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotGeoff&quot wrote: No debate required.
Kemp 31 games, 24 points = 0.774 points per game
Talbot 44 games, 46 points = 1.045 points per game
Wright 22 games, 19 points = 0.864 points per game
Asprey 70 games, 80 points = 1.143 points per game

Statistically at least Kemp is the worst.
Even without the stats he produced the most shapeless hoofing football known to mankind. Also, didn't he (allegedly) swear at the fans in the Beech Road on two occasions?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:Kemp said some very unpleasant things about OUFC when he was dismissed.
I was thinking about this the other day and how what he said actually turned out to be pretty much on the money.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Re:

Post by amershamwrighty »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:I will use this thread, if I may, to raise another subject.

I see Mike Newell is back in football management. What is the consensus on Mike Newell. Is he the hero who stood up and counted against corruption and treated shockingly for doing so.. or a mug who got what he deserved?

Unfortunately (following Snake's theory) with the position Luton find themselves in these days, I wonder how Luton fans regard him.
Good point raised by DLT here which has been lost in the 'David Kemp is a ****' rants in which I, amongst others, participated.

I reckon the answer is...both.

I applaud his integrity, a rare quality in footy. But I think he might have been a mug as well. Footy is a bit rotten - not as bad as racing or boxing - and he is lucky to find a chairman who hasn't blackballed him for his honesty.

An indictment of the game, perhaps.