Setanta Shield

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I cannot remember the exact rules on this, but it is something along the lines of 10 of the squad have to have played in the last two (league?)games, which does not give us much leeway, given that our only changes between the two were for injuries that are still keeping the player out.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I say, let's put a strong team out. We've started a little winning run, and beating FGR - who are on a losing run - will keep things going.

Winning this trophy didn't do Aldershot any harm last year, did it?

Besides, this is almost certainly the last year this trophy will happen. I can see Setanta taking over sponsoring the FA trophy next year and merging the two competitions, especially as they're looking to cut costs.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:I say, let's put a strong team out. We've started a little winning run, and beating FGR - who are on a losing run - will keep things going.

Besides, this is almost certainly the last year this trophy will happen. I can see Setanta taking over sponsoring the FA trophy next year and merging the two competitions, especially as they're looking to cut costs.
They may well sponsor the FA Trophy but I can't see how they could merge the two. I don't think the FA would like the idea of a sponsor changing the format of one of their events.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: I caught a snippet on RadOx after the game. Jerome said we’d get £4k if we win on Tuesday. Can anyone find a link to that, plus what happens money wise if we progress further?

And given that the FA are not running this competiton just who is making the rules here, as in any other competition a transgression for fielding a weakened side went out years ago? It smacks of the twenty twenty for 20 to me.

It's certainly tinpot and makes the LDV Vans (or whatever they call it now) seem half-decent.
This article from last year has some detail on the prize money and the rules regarding players.
It appears the prize money has changed, and perhaps the rules too for 2008/09, however it is more info than I can find anywhere else.
&quotno fewer than ten of the 16 players named on the team sheet must have taken part in the club’s two previous Football Conference fixtures.&quot
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

When it says &quottaken part&quot does that mean played, or been in the squad? If it's the latter then the team could look something like this:
Hinchliffe
Day
Bennett
Willmott (on the assumption that Quinn is nearing fitness)
Carruthers (in the absence of any other left-back options)
Dobson
Hutch
Burnell
Haldane
Yemi
Taylor

Not too shabby, and not really risking too many first teamers either.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by YF Dan »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:I say, let's put a strong team out. We've started a little winning run, and beating FGR - who are on a losing run - will keep things going.

They may well sponsor the FA Trophy but I can't see how they could merge the two. I don't think the FA would like the idea of a sponsor changing the format of one of their events.
Fair point. Merge probably wasn't the right word. I doubt there will be both competitions next year though.