Chris Carruthers: Off the transfer list!

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Chris Carruthers: Off the transfer list!

Post by OUFC4eva »

Good news.

Still bemused though.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Patto seems to be using the transfer list as his version of the naughty step for badly behaved children.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

The new physio will probably be next.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Patto seems to be using the transfer list as his version of the naughty step for badly behaved children.
Except when my toddler 'demands to be taken off' the naughty step, that's not 'exactly the kind of reaction I'm looking for'.

This whole episode seems bizzarre to me:
DP: 'You're on the transfer list'
CC: 'No. Take me off it'
DP: 'That's the spirit.'

I see our club captain is denying any problems between the players and Patto and claiming this is the most 'honest' bunch of players he's played with. What does he mean exactly? No-one's nicked his watch from the locker room?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I see our club captain is denying any problems between the players and Patto and claiming this is the most 'honest' bunch of players he's played with. What does he mean exactly? No-one's nicked his watch from the locker room?
No, he's talking about when they all sit around, saying &quotLet's face it lads, it's not the gaffer's fault. The problem is that we're all shite.&quot
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: I see our club captain is denying any problems between the players and Patto and claiming this is the most 'honest' bunch of players he's played with. What does he mean exactly? No-one's nicked his watch from the locker room?
This one has always confused me even though it's something managers are always saying. I take it to mean that the players are honest in that they go out and give 100% for their money. On the other hand when you ever suggest that players aren't giving 100% the same managers will tell you that &quotno player goes out to play without giving 100%&quot.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

On the general question of players trying, while I think I've seen players give less than 100%, I don't think I've ever seen them plainly not try. A few years ago when I was working in Hammersmith I went to see the tennis at Queen's: I saw it then, players plainly not bothering after they'd lost the first set. I don't think I've ever seen a footballer do that.
entirely disenchanted
newhinkseyyellow
Toddler

Carruthers off the transfer list

Post by newhinkseyyellow »

A rare bit of good news amidst the gloom.

However, if he is off the list, why, on Saturday against Crawley,was a right back playing left back, a centre back playing right back and a left back sitting on the bench?

Any ideas?
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

They were trying to do the Whirl, but they got it wrong?
entirely disenchanted
disillusioned
Sperm

Post by disillusioned »

i know very little about football...but oxford's run at the mo is dire. maybe time for a new manager? can't do any worse!
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by YF Dan »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:On the general question of players trying, while I think I've seen players give less than 100%, I don't think I've ever seen them plainly not try. A few years ago when I was working in Hammersmith I went to see the tennis at Queen's: I saw it then, players plainly not bothering after they'd lost the first set. I don't think I've ever seen a footballer do that.
Dean Windass at QPR in his last game. A really nasty end to an otherwise (short but) sweet time with us.

There will have been others. Let me think.

Peter Fear every match.
x586
Brat

Post by x586 »

Matt Elliott at Bradford, Christmas 1996.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

The entire Barnsley team when we beat them 5-1 in 1997, after they'd just won promotion to the Prem. They were obviously still pissed or hungover, and didn't seem to care as the goals rattled in.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

That last is the only one of the cited games I remember, but I still don't think it's at anything like the same level. There's giving close to 100%, and there's obviously not giving anything close 100%, and then there's not chasing balls that you plainly could get because you're trying to get off as soon as possible. I think football fans see the second of these and mistake it for the third.
entirely disenchanted
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotx586&quot wrote:Matt Elliott at Bradford, Christmas 1996.
Rubbish (although I did only see the second half due to awful traffic).