Stafford Rangers

Anything yellow and blue
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Only reporting what my friend said ...

Interesting re: crowd noise: shows what ground configuration and positioning can do.

There's a pretty fair report on the Staff Rangers unofficial site:

http://www.srfc.co.uk/new.php?sect=matc ... report=425
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Bash did have a goal attempt, Mally - it was from his header that was cleared off the line that Willmott spooned over from 2 yards. Apart from that, he was disappointing, and although I'd like to see Beechers get a run out, perhaps that wasn't the right game for wor Billy.

Agreed on Pettefer, and I thought Anaclet was alright, but too lightweight. The surprise for me was Steady Eddie - we looked much better once he'd come on, and he got forward to support the attack well.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I used to stand near happy clappy at the manor, so the chant brings back some memories.
Blimey! has that song really been around for that long, I'm glad I've never heard it before because I would have been moaning about it earlier.

I take the point about originality though, it's been a long time since we had truly original (good) chants coming from the London Road.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Isaac »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I used to stand near happy clappy at the manor, so the chant brings back some memories.
Blimey! has that song really been around for that long, I'm glad I've never heard it before because I would have been moaning about it earlier.

I take the point about originality though, it's been a long time since we had truly original (good) chants coming from the London Road.
I was a bit misleading there, it was never previously a chant, he shouts out, at various times &quotDown the line&quot &quotkeep your shape&quot &quotJocky him&quot &quotIn the mixerrrrr&quot. He also had a referee chant, which was quite funny in a puerile sort of way.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

I was a bit misleading there, it was never previously a chant, he shouts out, at various times &quotDown the line&quot &quotkeep your shape&quot &quotJocky him&quot &quotIn the mixerrrrr&quot. He also had a referee chant, which was quite funny in a puerile sort of way.
I wasn't at Stafford, so can't comment on what was being sung there, but I remember a kind of 'homage to Happy Clappy' chant from a few years back, sung by those near him. To the tune of 'here we go', it went something along the lines of:

&quotKeep your shape [x3]
Second ball [x3]
Jocky him [x3]
In the mixer [x2]&quot

That was at the Kassam, though. We certainly don't have the same inventiveness with songs as we did at the Manor. But that's because it's so much easier to start a chant and get it to catch on when you're on a packed terrace behind the goal, where people are generally keen to join in rather than sit and occasionally clap their hands.

Hand clapping without singing -which used to be prevalent in the first years of the Oxford Mail stand - is worse for getting an atmosphere going than not singing at all. I hope none of you lot are guilty of such heinous crimes :wink:
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

''Duffy (as he trapped the ball) your (as he nudged it forward) fucking (as he pulled back his leg to shoot) USELESS (as his foot hit the ball)' '

So let me get this straight we're top of the league unbeaten drawing nil nil away from home and you're telling our top scorer he's useless.

Some people.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

It is a bit of a recurring theme with Mally.

Actually I realise part of my report is incorrect. Mally only ever refers to him as 'Duffer'.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Well has anyone on this forum really been impressed with Duffy?
Other than
- clinical penalties
- a quality finish at Stafford
- a couple of headed goals

Oh I feel a bit of
-sanitation
-medicine
-education,
-wine
-public order
-irrigation,
- roads,
- a fresh water system,
- public health
- brought peace
coming on.

That's better.

Well other than that lot, what have the Romans er, I mean Duffer ever done for us?
Mark G
Puberty

Re:

Post by Mark G »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Well has anyone on this forum really been impressed with Duffy?
Other than
- clinical penalties
- a quality finish at Stafford
- a couple of headed goals

Oh I feel a bit of
-sanitation
-medicine
-education,
-wine
-public order
-irrigation,
- roads,
- a fresh water system,
- public health
- brought peace
coming on.

That's better.

Well other than that lot, what have the Romans er, I mean Duffer ever done for us?
I happy with Duffy contribution othre than his goals. He competes well in the air while having a decent touch and being able to hold the ball up while waiting for support. Premiership/Championship quality he is not but he has shown he is good enough at this level and I would be surprised if he didn't have a similar impact at L2 level given a decent run of games at that level.