How are you feeling, just before the big push?

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

How are you feeling, just before the big push?

Post by recordmeister »

At the start of most seasons, the few days before the first game feels a little like that scene at the end of Blackadder Goes Forth when they line up and wait for &quotthe big push&quot. No one really wants it, but you can't stop it. No matter how many pencils you shove up your nose, pants atop the head and the words &quotWibble&quot falling from your lips. The whistle will blow. The troops will onward rush.

But this season I feel more welcoming than normal to the first game. A string of good signings. A restruturing of the team. A winning mentality (almost) in pre-season. And most importantly, good football. I have a good feeling about this season.

But then I am an optimist. I can't see how you can support OUFC and not be. You'd do yourself an injury if you weren't... YFDan, however. A personal friend and a total and utter pessimist. The total opposite to me. How he does, I have no idea.

So how are you feeling about this season? I wanted to turn this into a poll, but it was too limiting, so just post your thoughts below.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

It looks really positive. Potentially we have the makings of a team who can play attractive attacking football with speed. We look fitter, hungrier,more athletic and better coached and motivated.

The only fly in the oitment is the small squad which could be severely tested over a long season.

I've just spoken to a colleague who rarely goes to see Oxford despite living in Cowley and he took his young seven year old son to last night's match. He was very impressed especially with the second half performance. He thought Oxford played some good passing football and was singing the praises of a lot of the boys wearing Yellow.

So much so - he is even contemplating two season tickets as his son loved it so much !
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

The Barrow game will be interesting. While I will feel sorry for their fans if it happens, I would love for us to go out and royally stuff them by a cricket score.

But much more optimistic than last season. Let's get back in the League!
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Soooo positive

Post by Swissbloke »

Very positive, but starting to get butterflies and it's only Tuesday.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:The Barrow game will be interesting. While I will feel sorry for their fans if it happens, I would love for us to go out and royally stuff them by a cricket score.

But much more optimistic than last season. Let's get back in the League!
Barrow will be a bearpit.

Live T.V, their return to the Conference, fans in a bouyant mood and it will be tough I'm sure.

Going away to these northern footballing outposts
is not easy. They will be up for it but so will we. This is not a match that I would be placing any bets on. If we emerge from S.W Cumbria with a point then I would be relatively happy.
Yellow River
Brat

Post by Yellow River »

I am very optimistic. More than I have been for several seasons.

The fact that I am very optimistic makes me very anxious/worried/concerned for the coming season.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Wishing I hadn't eaten that hot curry last night.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

As I'm flying to Stansted on Saturday evening and won't have internet access after some point on Friday evening, it's entirely possible that I won't even know the result until two days after it's played. Unless somebody can get them to announce the previous night's English non-League scores at Zaragoza airport?
entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:As I'm flying to Stansted on Saturday evening and won't have internet access after some point on Friday evening, it's entirely possible that I won't even know the result until two days after it's played. Unless somebody can get them to announce the previous night's English non-League scores at Zaragoza airport?
Get sombody to send a text to your mobile.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Curiously enough the notion had not escaped me, but I'm reluctant to ask people to send expensive transnational texts. Besides, the notion of having the English football scores read over the PA at Zaragoza, perhaps along with the details of scorers and a short match report, rather appeals to me....
entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Curiously enough the notion had not escaped me, but I'm reluctant to ask people to send expensive transnational texts. Besides, the notion of having the English football scores read over the PA at Zaragoza, perhaps along with the details of scorers and a short match report, rather appeals to me....
I'll send you a text, I'm sure my employers won't mind footing the bill for the odd text message.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Very kind of you. Shall I PM you? And can I have scorers, too, in the unlikely event that we have any?
entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Yes - PM me. As it happens I'll probably be receiving texts myself because I'm at The Oval on Friday so there's a more than even chance I'll be travelling home at kick off time.

I'll only send Oxford scorers, I'm not interested in opposition scorers.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

That should keep it below 160 letters then....
entirely disenchanted
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:Yes - PM me. As it happens I'll probably be receiving texts myself because I'm at The Oval on Friday so there's a more than even chance I'll be travelling home at kick off time.

I'll only send Oxford scorers, I'm not interested in opposition scorers.
A-Ro. I'm at the Oval on Friday too. I live 500 yards away from the stadium, so you're welcome back to my gaff to watch the Barrow game on telly after.