Strange things ...

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:&quotLeeds got a late equaliser to take the game into extra time during which Jim Magilton scored the winner and his last goal for us I think.&quot

....... last kick for us, maybe?
And that prompted my one and only call to 606 on the following Saturday - when I had the misfortune of having to speak to David Mellor.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Roo »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]And more recently, at Forest Green, “five one and you can’t go home
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Kevin Brock's backpass

Roy Burton's butt crack

Swipe cards years ahead of time

FA Cup R5 1971 Leiceter City away, Dick Lucas with a late equaliser, Keith Cross? punching the ball out of the Leicester net and the ref not seeing it, my very first away game.

Joey Beachamp's peach of a goal, Easter Saturday 1996 v Blackpool - and the ensuing run that led to promotion.

The 100 Club - oh how I miss the 100 Club

Manorettes

Ernst Kowalski and that flag

Not strange but dedicated, Winnie Crawford

Beating Everton away in September 1999 - another Joey wonder goal. Everton hadn't lost a home game that season and they didn't lose another until Feb 20th.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Graham Cross
The OXman Cometh
Brat

Post by The OXman Cometh »

Sometime in the mid 70's at a home night game versus, I think Charlton, the opposing goalkeeper was taking his time with a goalkick when out of nowhere (London road) appeared this old fella who promptly ran up to the keeper and whacked him across the posterior with a walking stick in an effort to make the keeper get a move on. Truly hilarious.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:FA Cup R5 1971 Leiceter City away, Dick Lucas with a late equaliser, Keith Cross? punching the ball out of the Leicester net and the ref not seeing it, my very first away game.
Along similar lines, I'm sure I remember seeing a Charlton defender doing the same at the Manor. The ref gave the goal AND sent him off, much to everyone's amusement.
x586
Brat

Post by x586 »

Home vs Millwall, circa 1996 ....

Certainly the fatest supporter I've ever seen in the away end, revealed in all his (?) glory when a group of 10-20 Millwall fans moved behind the goal to verbally abuse Whitehead.

&quotFat C***, give us a wave, Fat C*** Fat C*** give us a wave&quot, with other versions following on. In the second half, he couldn't be discerned from the LRT.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Two of the more memorable &quotstrange&quot events for me were, first, a Birmingham supporter climbing half way up one of the Cuckoo Lane floodlights and then urinating over the packed away terrace, to cheers from both ends of the ground, and second, Pluggy (I think it was) running onto the pitch and booting the ball away as an opposition player was about to run up to take a penalty. If I remember rightly, he made it over the Beech Road wall before the OB could get to him.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Went to a game at Grimsby (great fish and chips). We were two up in about 10 minutes (Moody?) and two of the fattest lardy boys imaginable waddled on to the pitch from the Grimsby stand and sat down in a two man protest. It took about 6 stewards to pick them up.
The OXman Cometh
Brat

Re:

Post by The OXman Cometh »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Two of the more memorable &quotstrange&quot events for me were, first, a Birmingham supporter climbing half way up one of the Cuckoo Lane floodlights and then urinating over the packed away terrace, to cheers from both ends of the ground, and second, Pluggy (I think it was) running onto the pitch and booting the ball away as an opposition player was about to run up to take a penalty. If I remember rightly, he made it over the Beech Road wall before the OB could get to him.
That penalty was against Reading Boris and the penalty taker was Kerry Dixon.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotboris&quot wrote: Pluggy (I think it was) running onto the pitch and booting the ball away as an opposition player was about to run up to take a penalty. If I remember rightly, he made it over the Beech Road wall before the OB could get to him.
We've discussed this amusing incident before. I do recall him getting over the Beech Road wall before he completely ran out of energy. Not the fitest of blokes.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Strange technology…

The giant video screen - firstly stuck on the police box in the Cuckoo Land End, then bizarrely put underneath the roof in the London Road end.

The digital thing that alternated between the time and the temperature at The Manor. It once showed minus two at a night game (which one I’ve no idea, I just remember it showing minus two).

Daily Mirror Cards swipe cards. I never did know what benefits they had, other than acting as a season ticket.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Strange technology…

The giant video screen -
which Tim Midgley was convinced all the leading clubs would be envious of and we'd make a fortune selling them. It turned out to be a one off - strange that.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Does anyone know if Tim is still alive?
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Or if he ever was?
entirely disenchanted