EURO 2008 Musings...

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotThe OXman ComethSpot on Baboo, it was the commentators and (so called) pundits/experts who missed it, although Gordon Strachan pointed it out.[/quote]

And still today the (so called) pundits / experts are still trying to say that the goal should have been disallowed. Just couldn't bring themselves to admit they got it wrong / missed it or whatever. Redknapp even had the nerve to say the linesman just made a huge mistake saying that he could not have seen the defender off the pitch. How often do these guys ever give us anything extra. But, hey they are big personalities and are paid big bucks to come up with shallow talk so best let them get on with it. .I'm sure we get better analysis on this here forum.
Last edited by Baboo on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotboris&quot wrote:As it stands it's currently 2-0 to Sweden. So, Peña, it looks like we won't have to, er, continue :oops: learning Greek this time around.
Heh, I've still got the book and tapes.
entirely disenchanted
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Switzerland v Turkey in absolute cats and dogs is just brilliant!

All those &quotsilky european international skills&quot reduced to just lumping the ball everywhere and hoping for a fluky deflection.

... and a tapin for hakin yakin! :P
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Yes, it did rain a little didn't it.
Amazed how quick the pitch became playable once the rain stopped.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Fantastic. Away team, goal down, pissing down, blood pouring out of various players' heads at various times, rollocking equaliser, injury-time winner. I think I'll support Turkey from here.
entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:blood pouring out of various players' heads
Did anyone see Stevens take his eye off the ball in the deepening gloom of the Kent v Sussex Twenty/20 last night? Now that's what I call blood.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Last minute

Post by Swissbloke »

I think I have some sort of last minute curse.

Sigh.

Bloody rain stopping. :cry:
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Much as I like Switzerland as a team, and the Swiss as people, I wasn't too upset by your lot getting knocked out, Swissbloke. I have a (not very) profound belief that host nations shouldn't automatically qualify for tournaments just because they're hosting them, but that they should still have to qualify like everyone else (except the holders, and I'm not sure about them either, to be honest). So in a way I see it as justice served.

And Peña, at least now we won't have to learn a stupid language like Romansh, or whatever it's called. I'm not sure I'm up to learning Turkish, though. I'd quite like Sweden to win, I think, because my brother's just about to move out there, and so I can see some vague practical reason for learning the lingo. Tak sy mycket.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Sideshow Rob »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Much as I like Switzerland as a team, and the Swiss as people, I wasn't too upset by your lot getting knocked out, Swissbloke. I have a (not very) profound belief that host nations shouldn't automatically qualify for tournaments just because they're hosting them, but that they should still have to qualify like everyone else (except the holders, and I'm not sure about them either, to be honest). So in a way I see it as justice served.

And Peña, at least now we won't have to learn a stupid language like Romansh, or whatever it's called. I'm not sure I'm up to learning Turkish, though. I'd quite like Sweden to win, I think, because my brother's just about to move out there, and so I can see some vague practical reason for learning the lingo. Tak sy mycket.
It does seem a little strange that 3 out of 16 teams in tournament like this didn't need to qualify, especially considering the quality of the teams involved.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotboris&quot wrote: I have a (not very) profound belief that host nations shouldn't automatically qualify for tournaments just because they're hosting them, but that they should still have to qualify like everyone else (except the holders, and I'm not sure about them either, to be honest). So in a way I see it as justice served.
How different Euro 96 could have been.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Surely only the two hosts were excused qualification?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Noooooo - wooden spoon prize money snatched away by Howard Webb.

Oh well, Austria to beat Germany and go on and win! Go Austria!

PS - yeah, Greece had to qualify as well. Only the hosts are automatic.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:Noooooo - wooden spoon prize money snatched away by Howard Webb.
Well, snatched away by the arse who fouled in the penalty box. What a tool. Austria wouldn't have scored if they'd kept playing until the return of the Hapsburg monarchy.
entirely disenchanted
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotJimski&quot wrote:Surely only the two hosts were excused qualification?
Greece had to qualify, but I'm fairly sure that World Cup winners are excused qualification. There could, in theory, be some small justification in allowing the holders to qualify automatically, in that they could then defend their title (although it's not a view that I agree with, as they should defend their title through the qualification stages as well), but I can't think of any good reason why the hosts shouldn't have to qualify.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotJimski&quot wrote:Surely only the two hosts were excused qualification?
Greece had to qualify, but I'm fairly sure that World Cup winners are excused qualification. There could, in theory, be some small justification in allowing the holders to qualify automatically, in that they could then defend their title (although it's not a view that I agree with, as they should defend their title through the qualification stages as well), but I can't think of any good reason why the hosts shouldn't have to qualify.
No, Italy have to qualify next time round. Start their campaign on 6 September 2008 away at Cyprus.