The good life

Post by SmileyMan »

So,
  • Top of the league
  • Five points clear
  • Eight unbeaten games since the beginning of the season
  • Equal-best attacking record in the league
  • Best defensive record in the league
Anyone else feeling a bit happy this morning?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Yes it is good to see the table and it is a (relatively) good time to be an Oxford fan.

An Exeter fan on the http&#58//www&#46confguide&#46com forum did mention however that they were in the same position last season but look what happened to them.

I like the stats they have on confguide and I used the week by week table page to see if he was right and after 8 games they were 3 points clear with 20 points but out of the next 4 games they lost 3 and drew 1 and never recovered for the rest of the season.

It’s time for the Marathon / Sprint conversation again.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

I suppose the classic example of not counting chickens before hatching is Millwall's 89-90 season in the top flight. Top and unbeaten after 5 games, got gubbed by ManUre and only won another 2 games all season.

For me, the next 2 games are vital ones to pick up decent results as after them it's not until we host Aldershot that we come up against another serious contender.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re: The good life

Post by Mally »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:So,
  • Top of the league
  • Five points clear
I do but I'm not sure about the bloke that sits about three rows behind me in SSU. Anybody would think we were botom of the league the way he continually moans and shouts throughout every home game.

Being charitable I suppose after so many years of crap it takes a while for some people to re-adjust their match day persona.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

I'm so happy. Doesn't it feel great to be back in love with your team and club, when it's such an integral part of your life. I want to read and chat about it all constantly. However, reading the forums is somewhat depressing at times with all the negative vibes going down. I guess that is a consequence of years of shite and expecting the worse to catch up with us.

Last night, as I was walking out, a guy was chatting to his mate on his mobile. You might think he'd be quoting Smilieyman's stats in joy, but no, his first words were: &quotIt was f*cking shit&quot. Some people, eh !!

Proud and positive again. Back to back promotions - believe it !!

Has there every been a manager who has won promotion, with the same club, from four divisions?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:Has there every been a manager who has won promotion, with the same club, from four divisions?
I'd imagine you'd be very hard pushed to find one who has done it with different clubs.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Three divisions? - Graham Taylor at Watford?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Three divisions: Arthur Turner at Oxford!
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

And the best start for 50 years in terms of league points as everyone keeps saying! The next target must be the games unbeaten record which I am guessing is 15 in 1959/60?? Do you remember those games Baboo? :wink:
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:I suppose the classic example of not counting chickens before hatching is Millwall's 89-90 season in the top flight. Top and unbeaten after 5 games, got gubbed by ManUre and only won another 2 games all season.

For me, the next 2 games are vital ones to pick up decent results as after them it's not until we host Aldershot that we come up against another serious contender.
Millwall in top flight versus Oxford in conference.

Hmm - hardly a valid comparison Myles.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Three divisions?

I'm a bit stuck too.

This is the best I can think of - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Bassett
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:And the best start for 50 years in terms of league points as everyone keeps saying! The next target must be the games unbeaten record which I am guessing is 15 in 1959/60?? Do you remember those games Baboo? :wink:
No, you bloody cheeky sod you.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re: The good life

Post by DLT »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:So,
  • Top of the league
  • Five points clear
And I .............

Not telling you that one.
Mark G
Puberty

Re:

Post by Mark G »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:I suppose the classic example of not counting chickens before hatching is Millwall's 89-90 season in the top flight. Top and unbeaten after 5 games, got gubbed by ManUre and only won another 2 games all season.

I wouldn't write York off just yet (or the other 6 teams in the games before Aldershot !). They've had a bit of sticky spell in the last couple of games but they're good enough to cause us problems and beat us on their day. Also, the management and players hopefully won't get a complacent attitude against the lesser teams such as Stafford or Cambridge (who may finally have a manager by then!).
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotMark G&quot wrote:

I wouldn't write York off just yet (or the other 6 teams in the games before Aldershot !). They've had a bit of sticky spell in the last couple of games but they're good enough to cause us problems and beat us on their day. Also, the management and players hopefully won't get a complacent attitude against the lesser teams such as Stafford or Cambridge (who may finally have a manager by then!).
I'm not suggesting complacency, what I'm trying to say is that if we can beat the likes of Grays, Crawley and (fair point) York, it puts us in a stronger position and gives us a bit of a cushion for when we (almost inevitably) lose to a team like Altrincham.