Not top anymore

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMally&quot wrote:With football league status being so imporant for a club like Oxford United (particularly as it doesn't own its stadium and has a £500,000 rent bill to pay regardless of income) the only objective this season is to finish top and go up automatically.
I thought the rent bill was nearer £300k - must have gone up since I last looked. But when Nick &amp co. buy the stad company this cost will disappear to be replaced by a rather large mortgage(?)
And on that topic - its even quieter than news on a new striker.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: I was a tad disappointed with the facilities for away fans this afternoon, what with no beer or food available for Us in the close vicinity of the ground (the food inside the ground was fab, however) though parking was relatively easy, given the attendance.
There was a decent pub (and shops and takeaway) ten minutes walk from the ground, and loads of free parking available round there up until shortly before kick-off. But I guess you had to know where it was - or guess correctly, as we did! All in all I thoroughly enjoyed Weymouth, and the Wessex stadium - the only slight down side being that it isn't a tiny bit closer to the town centre.

I think Baboo's criticism of the crowd is extremely unfair - check the players' reaction at the end of the game to see what they thought of the support. Speaking to Weymouth fans after the game, they were very impressed with the level of noise we created, especially when our goal went in!

The players played poorly, never stringing more than two passes together in the first half. Our strikers didn't link well at all. The midfield (and Hargreaves in particular) managed to break up play a lot - it's just a shame they did so when we had the ball! Gilly's distribution was appalling.

As Snake says, 7 points away from home after the three performances we've put in makes you start to think it could be our year. Or that our luck might run out.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotKernow Yellow&quot][quote=&quotSnake&quot]
I think Baboo's criticism of the crowd is extremely unfair - check the players' reaction at the end of the game to see what they thought of the support. Speaking to Weymouth fans after the game, they were very impressed with the level of noise we created, especially when our goal went in!

quote]

Given the size of the crowd I thought we could have made more noise at times, but I may have been influenced by some of the negativity coming from those stood near me. I don't think it will take much more than a defeat or two for the boo boys to resurface. (Hope I'm wrong, but those negative gits who so loved having a go at Lee Bradbury (now doing the business in the Championship) will be looking for the next scapegoat.)

Would the players reaction have been less if we had taken fewer fans? Perhaps they were just excited cos they had salvaged the unbeaten record with 30 secs to go.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Thanks for that Kernow. One of the disadvantages of going to all these ‘new’ grounds is that you don’t know the landscape the first time around.

/

As for Lady Luck, then the Exeter City game will be the real test of that, imho, as it’s being played on a Tuesday night at Minchery Farm when our long standing Gypsy Curse is in operation…

/

Re: Stadium Rent.

boris is a member of OV so he’ll be able to clear that one up very shortly I would have thought, so I won’t go off on a tangent and even suggest that it was originally offered for it to be paid for in uncut gemstones.

With regard to Ian L./WIP buying the Stadium, isn’t there something that the FA insist upon with regard to football investors only being involved with one club? You know, that rule that was put in place when Maxwell went and bought Derby.

Anyway, maybe “Resurrection Ox
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]Interesting to see that Oxfordshire County Council are not exactly busting a gut to get those vandalised “Kassam Stadium
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]Thanks for that Kernow. One of the disadvantages of going to all these ‘new’ grounds is that you don’t know the landscape the first time around.

/

As for Lady Luck, then the Exeter City game will be the real test of that, imho, as it’s being played on a Tuesday night at Minchery Farm when our long standing Gypsy Curse is in operation…

/

Re: Stadium Rent.

boris is a member of OV so he’ll be able to clear that one up very shortly I would have thought, so I won’t go off on a tangent and even suggest that it was originally offered for it to be paid for in uncut gemstones.

With regard to Ian L./WIP buying the Stadium, isn’t there something that the FA insist upon with regard to football investors only being involved with one club? You know, that rule that was put in place when Maxwell went and bought Derby.

Anyway, maybe “Resurrection Ox
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

ResOx

I wasn't hung over. Just completely knackered.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:
Just completely knackered.
That's what you said at D&ampR too.
Is there an away game pattern emerging here?