And the negatives from yesterday

Anything yellow and blue
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

And the negatives from yesterday

Post by DLT »

Just read two postings on TIU by Manor Relic.

One relates to fact he was obviously in the gang that included Martin Keown at the match yesterday.

The other is publishing a rumour I also heard from a very commendable source. Alledgedly the rumour is that Mr Lenaghan has told NM that he wants out of OUFC and told NM to find an 'alternative' investor.

In Mr Keown's group were many of the 'old timers' that have loitered on the edges of the boardroom for many years.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Another negative: the crowd size. Our lowest in the conference by a reasonable margin... (Alty's small helping didn't exactly assist.)

Wonder how many will return on Tuesday.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Is it definitely right that all season ticket holders are counted as &quotpresent&quot whether or not they attend as seems to be the general contention? If so, it would be interesting to speculate what the &quotactual&quot crowd was. I'd have thought they could count, given that they tear off the slips from the seasons and we have to go through turnstiles.

Another negative: the sudden flowering of optimism, hope, ambition ... oh so easily crushed. Hey, the benefits of being a pessimist is that good things are a pleasant surprise and the kickings in the goolies are what you expect.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

To be honest I’ve never really fathomed why Ian Lenagan wanted to buy the club in the first place, unless he thought he could keep OUFC ticking over in League 2 and give his sons a bit of experience in running a professional sports team.

Given what it’s now costing him to give his babies some work experience, I’m surprised the “Lenagan to pull out
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Only if all the season ticket holders actually turned up, Snake, and I very much doubt that's ever happened.

I don't know about negatives, but there are some photos of yesterday's game on the Rage Online gallery, including some excellent ones showing Alex Fisher's glee at scoring.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Surely Snake's point is that season ticket holders are counted whether they turn up or not. Thus subtracting this total number from the gate will give the number of non-ST holders at the match.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

oh yeah :oops:
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

But if you think about the turnstile process, they take the ticket stubs of the &quotpayers&quot and they remove the game voucher from the season ticket - so there's no reason why they can't count those up to get the gate. Plus we push through a turnstile: don't they have a counter attached to them? I'd imagine that for health and safety reasons, they'd probably need to know how many were actually inside too. So I'm wondering if the actual gate is known and recorded somewhere?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I thought that it had changed so that no-show ST holders were no longer counted, which is why our attendance dipped so markedly?

EDIT: Oh, and the match - more of the same please!
Last edited by SmileyMan on Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:I thought that it had changed so that no-show ST holders were no longer counted, which is why our attendance dipped so markedly?
Crowd actually looked like just under 4k to me.
OUFC_Gav
Toddler

Re:

Post by OUFC_Gav »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:But if you think about the turnstile process, they take the ticket stubs of the &quotpayers&quot and they remove the game voucher from the season ticket - so there's no reason why they can't count those up to get the gate. Plus we push through a turnstile: don't they have a counter attached to them? I'd imagine that for health and safety reasons, they'd probably need to know how many were actually inside too. So I'm wondering if the actual gate is known and recorded somewhere?
The attendance quoted is the number of tickets sold - ie the for accounting purposes figure. The actual number of turnstile clicks is also recorded and monitored in the stadium control room for crowd monitoring/control purposes.
This method is I believe FA rules.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: And the negatives from yesterday

Post by ty cobb »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Just read two postings on TIU by Manor Relic.

One relates to fact he was obviously in the gang that included Martin Keown at the match yesterday.

The other is publishing a rumour I also heard from a very commendable source. Alledgedly the rumour is that Mr Lenaghan has told NM that he wants out of OUFC and told NM to find an 'alternative' investor.

In Mr Keown's group were many of the 'old timers' that have loitered on the edges of the boardroom for many years.
Had IL been looking to leave I would be surprised that he's making funds avaliable to bring new players in - there's another rumour doing the rounds that the stadium was paid for 8 weeks ago.

Glad OxVox are going to take a 'tougher' line, however, I don't really know what else we can ask for - funds are made avaliable for new players, they still want to buy the stadium, no-one is happy with current league position (hence Smith moved upstairs) what do we expect them to say?

However, a quartely meeting between the club and OxVox shouldn't be too much to ask and a yearly fans forum would be fine with me.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I was once told - possibly by Mick Brown himself - that in fact absent season ticket holders were not counted, but they could if they wanted and did in fact do so for one Mickey Mouse competition where otherwise the crowd would have been in three figures.
entirely disenchanted
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Mick via email confirmed to me that they do indeed count &quottickets sold&quot not &quotbums on seats&quot in the published attendance but that they do have a count of people in the stadium - not that he offered up that number! Was impressed by the speedy and pleasant response to the query.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Re: And the negatives from yesterday

Post by scooter »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote:Just read two postings on TIU by Manor Relic.

Had IL been looking to leave I would be surprised that he's making funds avaliable to bring new players in - there's another rumour doing the rounds that the stadium was paid for 8 weeks ago.

Glad OxVox are going to take a 'tougher' line, however, I don't really know what else we can ask for - funds are made avaliable for new players, they still want to buy the stadium, no-one is happy with current league position (hence Smith moved upstairs) what do we expect them to say?

However, a quartely meeting between the club and OxVox shouldn't be too much to ask and a yearly fans forum would be fine with me.
Agree with all of that.

To be frank the reason I joined OxVox wasn't to be part of an organisation that run the club, because that is not going to happen, it was because they were/are the only supporters link to the club and could hopefully be involved in developing initiatives that got bums back on seats such as tailored innovative ticketing packages.

Unfortunately now the club have decided to excommunicate them this won't happen.

However for £10 a year the free food at meetings saves me at least £6 a time for me and junior so still good value for money.