Zeke
Dashing young thing

Southend at home

Post by Zeke »

should get a decent crowd
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Dunno, they are not exactly Leeds or Forest. It will depend on pricing and if Patto can inspire good results before then, Did any notice the poor crowd for Wycombe v S*****n yesterday - 3,300.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Not really what we wanted but at least it's at home. Southend are riding high in League 1 so it's unlikely that we'll win and they aren't noted for a large away support.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

A long shot but it might be on the telly - chance of an upset and a famous team not doing so well.

Suppose we'll find out in the next couple of days.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Let's hope the club get the pricing right for this one.

This almost feels like the club is in a similar position to the dark days at The Manor when we needed a cup run to survive. This club should not have to rely on cup runs anymore.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Atmos

Post by Swissbloke »

A good game for the flags and singing?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Let's hope the club get the pricing right for this one.
What do you mean GY? I doubt they'll increase prices for a cup game. And we can hardly expect them to lower prices when the opposition is considerably better than most teams we play.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Let's hope the club get the pricing right for this one.
What do you mean GY? I doubt they'll increase prices for a cup game. And we can hardly expect them to lower prices when the opposition is considerably better than most teams we play.
I agree with you. Good draw for the club. We have a chance of progressing as well.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I can well imagine them trying to increase prices (from the Northwich game), on the grounds of playing higher level opposition. They should consider similar prices to the Northwich game, start drawing the crowds in again and re-launch the club under Patterson.

Its a poor draw for the club. We are playing one of the higher level sides in the competition making it a difficult game to win, who have relatively poor away support making the financial gain relatively small. Southend as an opposition are not going to attract many casual supporters. The only recompense is that it is a home draw, but given the difference in standards between the sides, that's not likely to be of too much benefit.

As Mally said earlier, a weak opposition at home would have been far better, giving a decent chance of a win and a big match and moneyspinner in the 3rd round.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
I can well imagine them trying to increase prices (from the Northwich game), on the grounds of playing higher level opposition. They should consider similar prices to the Northwich game, start drawing the crowds in again and re-launch the club under Patterson.

Its a poor draw for the club. We are playing one of the higher level sides in the competition making it a difficult game to win, who have relatively poor away support making the financial gain relatively small. Southend as an opposition are not going to attract many casual supporters. The only recompense is that it is a home draw, but given the difference in standards between the sides, that's not likely to be of too much benefit.

As Mally said earlier, a weak opposition at home would have been far better, giving a decent chance of a win and a big match and moneyspinner in the 3rd round.
I bet the club don't think it's a poor draw. Neither will 95% of the supporters. Southend will bring 1,000.

Let's have a crack at them. It's what the Cup's all about. There is not that much difference between L1 and BSP . As Torquay v Yeovil demonstrated.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
I agree with you. Good draw for the club. We have a chance of progressing as well.
In what way is this a good draw for the club? A poorly supported side that are 54 places above us in the pyramid. At least if we'd been drawn against other League 1 high flyers such as Leeds, Forest or Swansea they'd have brought plenty of fans.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Eh? They have the fifth highest average crowd in their division, and the seventh of any side that could be involved in the FA Cup 2nd round (one of these - Franchise - has already been knocked out anyway, and a further two are yet to confirm their places in the 2nd round).

Only Hereford v Leeds and Lincoln v Forest attracted more fans that Southend v Rochdale in the first round.

Sure Leeds and Forest (and, to a lesser extent, Swansea and Bradford) get a lot more than them, but those are the exception when looking at clubs eligible for these rounds.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

well i tend to agree that it's not a good draw. my reaction to the draw mirrored that of the torquay players on the BBC when their draw came out - i wanted to be excited, but clearly wasn't (it was funny watching them physically sag - then try and puff themselves up again). our draw didn't even have the build up of trying to work out who was still left to be drawn - everyone apart from us were!

for me, good cup draws are one of:

a) a 'big' club - one that we haven't had a chance of taking on for some time,
b) a local rival,
c) a team we can be reasonably confident of beating so we have a good chance of progressing to the next round to try again for one of the above.

No Disrespect To Southend... but i'm slightly surprised to read the attendence figures quoted above. i hope they do bring lots of supporters, but i'm not that excited by the game, we bobbled about in similar divisions as them for a while, and we will do well to beat them.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

People on this I-board seem to have diverse opinions on this FA Cup draw, but after months of almost blanket agreement on the more important aspects of the club it’s great to read that we can still disagree about things! (and long may that continue).

For my two pennyworth I’m quite pleased with this draw, for the following reasons:

1. It could have been a lot worse like maybe Mansfield, Hartlepool or Grimsby away.

2. Because it’s at home there is half a chance of winning it, and we’ll probably show as around 5-2 with the bookies to do so.

3. There is a decent chance of a night out and a big following of Yellows Fans in Southend for a replay, with a proper sized crowd watching! Dunno about others on here, but after 15 months of this non-league crap I’m getting really, really, REALLY bored of attending away games where the crowds are under 2,000. In fact the last time the away gate was over 2,000 was at Stevenage Borough way back in August.

4. Getting Leeds or Forest away (while bringing in some dosh) may have ended up in a confidence-sapping massacre, and we don’t want that at a time when the post-Jim rebuilding process is still quite fragile. I don’t think we’ve reached the point yet where getting the cash is more important than getting some of our pride back. Having said that I’d take Manchester United or Arsenal away in the third round!

5. Most importantly of all, it will provide the first real test of Patto’s motivational skills, given that he’ll have had the chance by then to impose himself on the team more. Since Wycombe last year Oxford United have not tested themselves against the sort of team we aspire to be, so Southend are just about perfect, imho.

(by the way, Jimski, Bradford City’s published figures for attendances do not reflect the number of fans turning up to their home games as they do a similar trick as we do with their season ticket holders).
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

It is a shite draw.

We are playing one of the strongest teams in the pot, so have minimal chance of progressing.

In my opinion the FA Cup doesn't start to round 3 and we needed the easiest draw possible to be in the bag for the next round.

Being at home isn't the advantage for us that it is for smaller non league clubs. Are will be one of the better grounds Southend visit this season and there won't be enough of a crowd to create an intimidating atmosphere.