Big hole in squad

Anything yellow and blue
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Big hole in squad

Post by DLT »

Up front.

The fact that we have lower league players on trial indicates few options from more proven players.

Hope a rabbit comes out of Jim's hat next couple of weeks.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Don’t disagree with you there, although I don’t see any harm in continuing to try out players from lower down the pyramid in case we do unearth that diamond that makes the difference.

Other than that though, I’m reasonably impressed with the people coming in so far (though I always say that), as two or three are coming from league clubs where they have featured strongly in the last year or two.

Look like we’ll be pretty solid at the back again and he has added some of the width we’ve been asking for, though maybe a creative central midfielder would be a nice addition too.

By my reckoning, as it stands his first choice team will probably look something like:
GK Turley
DEF Dempster, Willmott, Gilchrist, Johnson
MID Pettefer, Hutch, Quinn, Burgess
FW Basham, Beechers

Subs:
Tardif, Mansell, Hargreaves, Anaclet, Yemi

Further Backup:
Def – Weedon, Gunn,
Mid –Winters, Kennett,
FW – trialists
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Post by Resurrection Ox »

Have patience Dave. Its 4th July ffs!

I think some care and attention has been put into the signings. Hutchinson and Pettefer are particularly interesting.

I understand Hutchinson 'likes a tackle'.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Hutchinson sounds like the same pedigree as Hargreaves.

I hope he hasn't got the same passing ability!

What we need is an Andy Morrison type of player.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: Big hole in squad

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Up front.

The fact that we have lower league players on trial indicates few options from more proven players.

Agree completely DLT. The triallists are exactly that. They are not first XI first choice by any means.

Am I the only one concerned that Johnson is now 35?
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

35 is fine in a central role.

But a 35 year old wingback, up and down the line all game is a big ask.

Be interesting to compare him with Stuart Gray in a few weeks time.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:35 is fine in a central role.

Ah yes, Stuart Gray, the man who is only able to associate the word &quotpace&quot, with a long step!!! :D
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Am I the only one concerned that Johnson is now 35?
Teddy Sherringham is still going strong, our boy is a spring chicken in comparison.
Mark G
Puberty

Post by Mark G »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

Agree completely DLT. The triallists are exactly that. They are not first XI first choice by any means.
Hopefully, Dale proves good enough but know nothing about him but the other one (Duffy?) doesn't seem that promising considering he has been around the last few years without really making an impression at his previous clubs. Although happy to be wrong about Duffy. :)
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote:35 is fine in a central role.

Ah yes, Stuart Gray, the man who is only able to associate the word &quotpace&quot, with a long step!!! :D
Very good GY. Now if you had Mansell's engine and Gray's ability to pass.............. you would call the result................Dean Whitehead.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Getting a little worried that there does not seem to be any movement on this front, once teams start pre-season then presumably players are less likely to move.

I'd like to think that between them Yemi, BB &amp the two triallists will be able to contribute something, but I'd be happier with a more experienced pairing up front - we dont want a repeat of last year do we?
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Makes you almost wish we still had Jefferson Starship doesn't it?

Always resist judging new signings before a few games, but it does appear a bit of a folly signing two senior keepers when the chairman talks of wage cap's and difficulty finding a striker.

Time to make an offer for Concannon I guess. Beavon is always trumpetted of the Didcot pair but it is Conker who bangs in the goals.

.............................The last paragraph was tongue in cheek of course. Ian wouldn't dream of signing for Oxford.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Nothing out of Jim's Hat just yet it seems apart from promoting Yemi to the front line.

Now remind me, who's idea was it to bring him to the club?
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: Now remind me, who's idea was it to bring him to the club?
a large number of oxford supporters after the eastbourne game?

duffy's been offered a deal. still yet to see him play due to the washout, so if he signs, it won't be until pompey that i get a chance. but no one seems to be clamouring to see him signed up.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Duffy looked reasonably OK at holding the ball up with his back to goal but didn't do anything at either Didcot or Eastleigh to convince me he could actually get in the box and score.

IMHO we still need to find/sign a 20 plus goals a season striker.