Site redesign

Thoughts on the Forum? Or the Rage Online web site? New sections. new layout, new editors? Post your ideas here
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The site works fine as it is.

Having comments after news items and match reports will just spread the comments around and make it harder to see comments on one topic in one place.

I'd move the Hat into a separate section though, like the Boot.
What Boogie said.

Particularly re comments after articles - better to keep the comments in one place (the forum) so the debate can remain focussed and coherent.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

As per earlier comments, the only change I would like is the Hat league in a separate section.

Great site. Thanks Martin.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

At the moment you cannot post anything on the site using Firefox. I would appreciate it if you could fix that.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:At the moment you cannot post anything on the site using Firefox. I would appreciate it if you could fix that.
If by 'the site' you mean this forum, this reply is posted using Firefox, so there!
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

and so is this! Opera used to be a problem though ...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The site works fine as it is.

Having comments after news items and match reports will just spread the comments around and make it harder to see comments on one topic in one place.

I'd move the Hat into a separate section though, like the Boot.
I'd bring the Boot into the main section.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Thanks for the feedback one and all. As a result of comments made here, we've decided that we won't have a comments feature on the main site, but will instead included a link at the foot of news items etc directing readers to this forum (that'll learn ya). We won't be incorporating the Boot into the main forum, nor will we (for now at least) create a separate section for the Hat.

Changes that will be made will include some design tweaks and some reorganising of how the stats info is displayed. We're still taking feedback, though, so please feel free to make other suggestions before we get down to it in the close season.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Disable the &quotQuote&quot button.

Lock threads.

Mark a post as off-topic / linking to a new or existing thread.

Typical example the Stevenage ticketing thread which degenerated into 5 or 6 pages of arguments about Oxvox, a lot of which was &quotquote all&quot.

--
Unfortunately this would involve more pro-active moderation, a feature which luckily this forum doesn't really need too much of.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: changes to rageon

Post by Snake »

&quotSTEVE F&quot wrote:i see no reason to change anything about rageon as it works ok as it is rather stupid action on part of admin changes not wanted or needed unless admin intent is to mess up rageon site
am not happy with this admin action and am sure most users will agree with my opinion
Last suggestion from me.

Can we sponsor STEVE F next time rather than a player.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I don't think that disabling the Quote button is a good idea, although I wonder if it would be technically possible to make it so that just the post being replied to is quoted, rather than all the posts previously quoted. Probably not.

More proactive moderation? Nah, not gonna happen.

Sponsoring STEVE F? Unlikely, but I wonder if there's some way of disabling the Caps Lock key (I know on some forums they have a filter that prevents posts appearing that are written in block capitals, but all that's needed is one letter in lower case and it doesn't work).
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I found it quite difficult to find the Oxfordshire Senior Cup Results (I wanted to check the date and score of the Kidlington game). First I looked under Fixtures, which includes League, FA Cup and FA Trophy, but not OSC. Then I looked under Testimonials and Friendlies. Finally I found it under Reserves, which doesn't seem to fit this season.

Is there a hidden section for the Youth team too?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Yeah, I had a bit of a problem deciding where to put the OSC results. They're not proper 1st team games, neither are they testimonials or friendlies. And I take your point about them not being reserve games either, but historically that's what they've been so I left them under Reserves for consistency's sake.

One of my projects last close-season was to introduce a section for youth team results, but I had so many problems finding them for the period from th early 60s to the mid 70s that I gave up in the end. I will endeavour to resurrect the project, time permitting, as I too think it would be a useful addition to the archive.

Projects for this summer include finding a way to incorporate results before 1949 and adding League tables (for every season from 1894).
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotboris&quot wrote:I don't think that disabling the Quote button is a good idea, although I wonder if it would be technically possible to make it so that just the post being replied to is quoted, rather than all the posts previously quoted. Probably not.
If you're going up to phpBB3, there's a configurable &quotmaximum nested quote&quot option.

Regarding STEVE F, I think he's posted before that he uses all caps because he is partially sighted? In which case, removing this would be an offence under the DDA. Personally I have more of a problem with WHAT he writes, rather than how he writes it!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

In the statistics section, I would like to see attendance records for the &quotnew&quot ground. We are not going to beat the current &quottop 20 at home&quot in the current 3 sided stadium, but I would like to see a run-down of the top attendances. The question often pops up, and most of us know the 10,000|| crowds includes Orient, Villa, Woking, Northwich, Reading, Slumdon, Elton John, Man United pre-season etc. But what is the official list?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Something I've been thinking of is a webnews section of the forum. A bit like the NewsNow news scraper, but so we can comment after the stories. Obviously I don't want it to overlap with the news section of the site, but sometimes I find interesting little titbits from a news search I have running which are perhaps worth sharing. For instance the John Baker story / Gambian Oxford United. Perhaps it could replace the Road Rage section as that hardly gets any use?
As I don't know how to write an automatic news finder, perhaps we could just start a new topic for each story. (sadly I got this inspiration from the townendforum news monkey )