Games v Franchise

The message board for the Oxford United supporters team. They were once called Raging Bull until a merger with Yellow Fever led to a new era

Moderator: Radley Rambler

boris
Grumpy old git

Games v Franchise

Post by boris »

I have to say that I'm deeply disappointed that Raging Fever is giving Franchise undeserved recognition by agreeing to play games against their supporters' team. Shouldn't we be playing against AFC Wimbledon supporters instead? It's bad enough that the bastards look like they're going to get promoted (although well done Wrexham on Saturday's result) without us having to get our reputation sullied by playing their alleged supporters. Can we not cancel these games and play proper fans instead?

I for one will refuse to play (although I realise that will make no difference as I don't play much anyway), and I would hope my team mates would also boycott these fixtures.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Interesting one, and I have much sympathy with your viewpoint.

When I was organising the fixtures, it was certainly frowned upon for IFA teams to play against Franchise fans, but I see that MK Dons are actually IFA members themselves now, so must have been welcomed into the fold (or at least tolerated) by fans with some pretty strong views about the club.

I have to say my view has mellowed a bit. They've been established a fair few years now, their fan base is presumably local to their current location, their young fans haven't known anything different and, let's face it, they're not going to go away. So while I don't intend to darken their doors or ever give them a penny of my cash, I think if we ever played Franchise it would be reasonable to offer their fans a game.

Also, while AFC started out as an anti-Dons outfit, they're now an established non-league team in their own right, and have their own fans' fixtures lined up against local opponents most weeks.

So although I don't think we should ever forgive or forget, it might be time to move on.
oxfordjames
Puberty

Post by oxfordjames »

I'm thinking one of the games will be off anyway (26th April) as we are away at Ebbsfleet, due to the fixtures have been moved!

I agree with you Boris about how wrong Francise FC are, but will play as a) I have friends who &quotsupport&quot them, and b) We will put them in thier place by giving them a sound thrashing....
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Noted Boris but the way I look at this is that there are a bunch of football fans 40 miles away who support 'their' local team and want an eleven-a-side. They approached us for a game and as fellow IFA members, it would have been a little churlish to refuse.

As Kernow Yellow said, they aren't 'the club' and just want a game of footie.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I am surprised the Dons fans wanted to play a team who simply cannot be much worse than the club they support. :lol: :lol:
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

I told John I wouldn't be available for Raging Fever for a match vs MK Dons that was provisionally arranged, but subsequently cancelled earlier in the season for similar reasons to those outlined by Boris. I will probably do the same for the forthcoming fixture, but the rate things are going I'll probably be injured or absent anyway!

What other people decide to do is up to them, but John shouldn't be criticised for his stance.
oxfordjames
Puberty

Post by oxfordjames »

Its off anyway, Fucksticks