Could do better

Anything yellow and blue
grandpont tom
Brat

Could do better

Post by grandpont tom »

Although, with a quarter or so of the season gone, we are doing ok, I sense a nagging feeling that we could/should be doing better
I have been to over half the games and I don’t think we have been particularly unlucky or robbed - my conclusion is that whilst we are above average for this level going forward, we are not up to scratch defensively
I don’t think our goalie is quite as good as Eastwood was at his best and Long is nowhere near as good as he was last year
If I were running things, I would play McNally and Forde and give Eastwood another go
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Could do better

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I haven't seen as many games as you but would agree with the overall feeling. Tuesday's match against the Shrews was of pretty low quality, and while the clean sheet and victory were very welcome, we did not look convincing defensively. I did think that Sam Long improved dramatically as the game went on though, and would not be in a hurry to drop him. I'm more worried about the left back position, where Seddon has not impressed me. And will someone please relieve him of dead ball duties? His corners are awful - even the normally positive RadOx commentators called him out on this. I would also keep Stevens in over Eastwood - Jack hasn't done nearly enough wrong to be dropped yet imo.

The Charlton match was the only one I've seen this season where I thought we looked like a really quality team, but looking at the table maybe we shouldn't have been so impressed with that result as I was at the time. Tuesday's performance was not one of a team who look likely to trouble the top of the table too much. But a win on Saturday would likely take Us back into the play-off places, so who knows.

Looking forward to my trip to Burton on Saturday, though it still seems an odd place to go for L1 football - last time I went to the Pirelli Gary Twigg scored for Us!

Another observation - we're paying good money to keep some quality players sat on the bench aren't we? Bodin and Williams are barely featuring, Forde is probably under-used, and MacGuane isn't even making the matchday squad. Is he injured again? Having said that, Kane has been a massive signing, so big credit where it's due there.