About 142 ml

Anything yellow and blue
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

About 142 ml

Post by OtmoorYellow »

What a frustrating match.

We were by far the better side for almost all the game. Yet we concede from distance again. We don’t bother to close the player down, and so they have time to line it up and shoot. Contrast that to the closing down by opposition defenders when our players try to shoot. In this case, I think Stevens was well sighted, so ought to have done better from that distance, which must have been nigh on 30 yards out.

Very well played to Herbie Kane. A thoroughly deserved MoM with some very classy movement and inter-passing.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: About 142 ml

Post by Dr Bob »

There was so much about that match that summed up my frustrations with the team currently. Having started well and scored a great goal, Taylor is unlucky to hit the post with a header. After that, Gillingham start to wake up, so we start our passing back, forth, sideways, around the back, to try to find new routes forward. OK so far. But then this turns into mere passing backwards and sideways, and all forward momentum and tempo are lost. We then, as OY says, give MacDonald all the time and space he needs to place a shot perfectly in the bottom corner.

From the latter part of the first half, but throughout the second half, time and time again, from crosses and set pieces, we either cannot get the ball past the first defender, or else it is put on a plate for their keeper. And even when we somehow manage to avoid both of those, high balls, tall defenders and somewhat shorter attackers inevitably means we struggle to get a decent head on the ball, let alone look like scoring from a header. Only on those few occasions when a lower ball came in, having made it past the first defender, did we look at all likely to threaten the goal.

Oh, and having watched the penalty incident on Quest, I do not think it was a penalty (nor did I at the time, BTW). The defender got between Sykes and the ball, which immediately put Sykes at a disadvantage. From then on it is shoulder to shoulder and Sykes is just not big and strong enough to stand up (literally or metaphorically) to a big defender in that situation.

On the drive home listening to all of the RadOx comments about how well we played, I was just in disbelief. The only thing I could agree with was how well Herbie Kane played. Clearly he still needs to get fully match fit, but his passing and his tackling were excellent. Maybe having him in the side will free up CamBran a bit to drive through the middle a bit more.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: About 142 ml

Post by Radley Rambler »

Another day and we win that 3 or 4-1, hit the woodwork twice and Bodin spooned over from 5 yards so I'm not pushing the panic button yet especially with Kane looking like a real asset.

However, I have growing misgivings about our manager. The intransigence on what are some obvious issues such as Whyte playing on the left and looking totally ineffective whereas 20 minutes on the right and he looks dangerous again, the giving Dan Agyei 2 minutes every game - what's the point of that? The recognition by him that we needed more physicality this season yet who has he signed to provide that? The lack of a real Plan B to open up teams who suss us and our pretty build-up play out. The ineffectiveness of our crossing and corners - why do we just float it in rather than whip it in at speed or try the odd pre-arranged set play?

There were loud boos at Cheltenham and some booing at full time on Saturday, I think there is a growing impatience with his approach.