Euro 2020+1

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Euro 2020+1

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Might as well talk about some football!

I can't believe how carried away everyone is getting by England beating a reasonable but not great Germany side. I've heard it described as historic, and generation-defining. Even one of the players in a post-match interview said they were glad to be part of making history by winning last night. We're through to the quarter finals of a tournament - that is all. This win will be forgotten in a heartbeat if we lose to Ukraine (or Denmark, or Czech Republic). We beat Germany at Euro 2000 (yes, at the finals), but nobody remembers that because neither we nor they even qualified from the group. In fact it has virtually been written out of history, with all this bogus talk of 55 years of hurt.

Don't get me wrong, I think England have an excellent chance of getting to the final now, and then who knows. But that's unlikely to happen if everyone thinks we've done the hard work with one win over Germany. We'll probably have to beat one of Italy, Belgium or Spain, as well as the aforementioned, if we want to actually win the thing. Now that would be something to celebrate.

My judgement may be clouded by the fact that I didn't see last night's match, so didn't get caught up in the emotion - I had a 5pm meeting, which finished just in time for me to see the added time board being held up. But judging by the match thread on Yellows Forum I didn't exactly miss a classic. Now Monday's matches on the other hand - that's what tournament football is about. Unbelievable stuff. More please!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Euro 2020+1

Post by Dr Bob »

Exactly! Then again, I always despair at the hype and hyperbole that surrounds the England team. I too missed the game (not prepared to sacrifice my CrossFit session), but listening to Radio 5 Live after, it sounded like Germany controlled chunks of the game and missed a number of decent chances. There is no question England have a decent chance of making the final, which will be nice, but there is only one football team whose performances and results really matter to me. I smile when England win, and laugh when they lose. I might just about get excited if they reach the final though.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Euro 2020+1

Post by Kernow Yellow »

It's coming home! We thrashed Denmark with an own goal and a missed (dodgy) penalty. Actually I thought we played very well for much of the match, but there were two worrying spells, in either half of normal time, when we got very nervous, stopped doing the basics and allowed Denmark to get on top. Also, we sat so deep after subbing Grealish off again and effectively playing five at the back, and invited the Danes deep into our half. Luckily they were knackered and couldn't take advantage, but they did manage to win a few corners. If we do that against Italy they will kill us. Which they might do anyway, but it's certainly not a foregone conclusion.

Why is the final at 8pm on a Sunday? Not very work or school friendly, with the potential 11pm finish (midnight or later in most of Europe). I'm sure major finals are usually late afternoon (or Saturdays) aren't they? Strange planning. At least we won't have to watch god-awful ITV coverage again.