Taming of the Shrews

Anything yellow and blue
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Taming of the Shrews

Post by OtmoorYellow »

For the second game in succession, we looked as though we could really play.

But don’t get excited at 7th place in the table. We’ve played more games than most others. To have a chance at achieving the play offs, we would probably need to win all our remaining games. Not impossible, but not likely either.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Taming of the Shrews

Post by slappy »

It was similar to the Crewe game in that for the first fifteen minutes the opposition were the better team, but then once we got into our stride, we took over the game. So apparently that is ten goals from ten different scorers in the last two games. I had Rob Atkinson to score anytime at 28/1 which was nice.

If we get close at the end of the season, we will be looking back to see which games were the ones that cost us. Probably Northampton and Accrington from recent games.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

It's the hope that gets you. In all of the last 5 completed seasons (so ignoring the last one), 74 points has got a play-off place, although once only on goal difference. So really 4 wins should be enough, 5 wins would make it certain, I'd think. We do have a habit this season of getting close to the play-offs and stumbling though.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

As someone famously said, it's a funny old game. two games, 10 goals, 10 different goal scorers. After Accrington, who could have seen that? Just what did we do that was so different? And my immediate reaction to the foul on Sykes was that is was bad. On seeing the replay it looked like a clear, deliberate stamp on his Achilles after the ball had gone and should be the subject of retroactive punishment. From what people are saying about Gillingham's 'style' of play, if we can beat them, then we shall deserve to get into the playoffs. And if not? Well, that will be the same old Oxford...
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

slappy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:20 pm It was similar to the Crewe game in that for the first fifteen minutes the opposition were the better team, but then once we got into our stride, we took over the game. So apparently that is ten goals from ten different scorers in the last two games. I had Rob Atkinson to score anytime at 28/1 which was nice.

If we get close at the end of the season, we will be looking back to see which games were the ones that cost us. Probably Northampton and Accrington from recent games.
Gulp! Swinedown?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 pm
slappy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:20 pm It was similar to the Crewe game in that for the first fifteen minutes the opposition were the better team, but then once we got into our stride, we took over the game. So apparently that is ten goals from ten different scorers in the last two games. I had Rob Atkinson to score anytime at 28/1 which was nice.

Gulp! Swinedown?
If we just miss out on the play-offs, I think I'll pin the whole season on Trevor Kettle's failure to stop the Sunderland quick free-kick when Brannagan was on the floor.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

slappy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:31 am
OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 pm

Gulp! Swinedown?
If we just miss out on the play-offs, I think I'll pin the whole season on Trevor Kettle's failure to stop the Sunderland quick free-kick when Brannagan was on the floor.
I thought at the time that Sunderland were no great shakes, despite the run they were on - and subsequent results have supported this. Kettle is a menace and I am right with you Slappy.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

That +9 goals in the last two games could be vital as it currently puts us above Charlton, and as we need other teams around us to drop points, hopefully our relative goal difference will improve and be the best of the play-off contenders. (Sunderland excepted, who I think are pretty much guaranteed top six, although they do have to play Blackpool home and away, and Hull.)

Also I see that every team plays this weekend, Tuesday, next weekend, before the final two mid-weeks of just some teams catching up their games in hand.