Shaking the ketchup bottle

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

Shaking the ketchup bottle

Post by slappy »

During the Doncaster match build up did anyone hear the Robbo / Radio Oxford interview where we were likened to a team with goals like a bottle of ketchup, just needing a good shake for them to come spurting out?

Anyway, I thought we were good value last night, Taylor has found his mojo, and will take the second goal however it goes in. Doncaster were very poor defensively, but dangerous on the attack. So we kept attacking them instead and were well rewarded with a 3-0 lead by half time.

Results around us mostly went our way and quite a few teams who were well in the play-off mix with games in hand are dropping away.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Shaking the ketchup bottle

Post by Kernow Yellow »

It's often said that a striker just needs a goal to go in off his arse to get going again, and while that didn't quite happen last night, there was some definite good fortune in both of Taylor's goals yesterday. For the rest of the game, the ketchup bottle remained half shaken really, as some really good chances were squandered during a prolonged period of total dominance.

While I don't want to denigrate our performance, it has to be said that Doncaster's play was completely suicidal - I don't think I've ever seen a team present us with the ball in dangerous situations quite so often. They created more of our opportunities for us than we did ourselves! I thought both teams played a lot better in the away fixture, in fact. One player particularly deserving of praise is Liam Kelly. I still find him frustrating at times, particularly the time he takes to recover position after losing the ball, but his dead ball delivery was excellent last night, and his pressing and harrying contributed to Doncaster's defensive disintegration. And that pass inside the full back to Shodipo had me positively purring. I want to see more of that on a regular basis though.

With that particularly tricky run of fixtures behind us, and particularly with Lincoln leaking goals, the next few games are a huge opportunity. If we go on another run, there's all to play for. But the league is very tight - the bottom half of the table is only three points behind us. So there will be lots of clubs eyeing the play-offs. It's getting to the point where we can't afford many more stutters. Nice to be in the mix again, though.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I agree with much of what KY says, but I have to disagree with his comments about Taylor's goals. The first goal involved a sharp turn in a very tight spot and a tidy finish through the keeper's legs. The second was really well worked - the cross to the back post over a crowded box, great header back by Ruffs, then a really cool flick from Taylor while he had his back to goal.

Yes we should have had even more goals, but at least we took enough on this occasion for a comfortable win. Also, as the game wore on and Rovers came back into it, we continued to defend well, with Atkinson's header off the line ensuring Rovers never got a foothold.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Who would have thought we would be having this conversation in November, esp at the end of the month... *phew*
grandpont tom
Brat

Post by grandpont tom »

Yes I think we would all have settled for worrying about whether we can sneak into the playoff places after the first dozen or so games.
And when I look at Wycombe - I think that could have easily been our fate and if you are only in the Championship for one season - it's a shame that the fans can't see new teams, go to bigger grounds etc. So even if this is a non-glory laden, middle of the road end to the season..it could be a lot worse