What a difference a day makes

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

What a difference a day makes

Post by Dr Bob »

So, the game against Wigan has been postponed for 24 hours. Do those of you around Oxford reckon that the extra 24 hours will give the pitch time to defrost and be playable? If the temperature there now and as forecast for the next 36 hours is anything like Nottingham, I find it hard to believe. Is it just wishful thinking, not wanting to add further to fixture congestion?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: What a difference a day makes

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I think it's a good idea to give the game as much chance as possible to go ahead this weekend with both teams prepared for it. Quite apart from anything else, postponements mean that there are fewer and fewer Tuesday nights available later in the season so trying to reduce congestion where we can is a good move. Frankly, I think most clubs will end up playing thrice a week for at least some of April - so if we can work extra hard now to reduce the likelihood then that is a Good Thing™.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Thrice a week.

Christ, that better be some robust consistent starting XI hey YF Dan... ;-)
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

i note Oxford City managed to get their game on...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

recordmeister wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:10 pm i note Oxford City managed to get their game on...
Don’t they play on astroturf though?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:15 pm
recordmeister wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:10 pm i note Oxford City managed to get their game on...
Don’t they play on astroturf though?
Yes!
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

What a difference a day, and then another hour, and then a 40-minute fire delay(!) make!

Given all that has gone on since Friday lunchtime, that ended up being a big game to win - especially after going behind - and should mean our mojo is well and truly restored after that blip against Donny. Starting to allow myself to dream now.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Absolutely, KE! To come back as we did from a goal down, having really struggled to get going against a side that pressed very well and on a pitch that did not help our style of play, was powerful sign of resilience.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The next five league games will be a real test, if we can grind out some wins against play-off contenders that will be most welcome.
I saw that Doncaster lost 4-0 to Sunderland, after Doncaster beat us 3-2 the other week. Also Accrington keep on picking up points, somewhat off the radar, but a 2-2 draw to leaders Lincoln helps keep the top half of the division close.

Trying to make much sense of the table is tricky with teams playing between 24 and 28 games, but the bottom seven look fairly adrift, and the top five have a little gap from 48 points down to the last play-off place at 44 points.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I've been trying to think what sort of fire would need the whole stadium evacuated and half the floodlights go off, but then allow the game to restart with only a 45 minute delay?
Perhaps a smoke alarm tripped a switch for the lights and then all it needed was a quick reset once the reason for the alarm was eliminated?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Yep, that was an extraordinary game on Sunday, and one which we did very well to get three points out of, given everything that went on. Once we got the first team on (and Kelly off) we were clearly the better team.

However, our last three games (including last night's PJT shambles) have not been overly impressive, and I don't agree that our mojo is back. What on earth has happened to James Henry? I've never seen anyone so regularly pass the ball straight out of play. It is also noticeable that performances have picked up in the last two games after Gorrin has been withdrawn from the action. That's two players who have been absolutely key for us in the past not really cutting it. And Brannagan is still making his way back from illness. I think the engine room of our team is looking a distinctly wobbly.

Anyway, the serious business of playing fellow play-off/promotion hopefuls starts in earnest this weekend. Let's hope we can lift our game for that, as I have a feeling we're going to have to.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

slappy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 pm I've been trying to think what sort of fire would need the whole stadium evacuated and half the floodlights go off, but then allow the game to restart with only a 45 minute delay?
Perhaps a smoke alarm tripped a switch for the lights and then all it needed was a quick reset once the reason for the alarm was eliminated?
I think it was a fire in the plant room, which provides power to the entire stadium.