NINE (count 'em) in a row

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

NINE (count 'em) in a row

Post by Dr Bob »

Starved of live footie, this year I have even taken to watching the tinpot trophy games online. As the RadOx commentators said, with a starting line-up that included six who would probably not currently be in a first-choice 11 - and we still went 3-0 up and saw the game out comfortably. OK, so Hanson struggled height-wise, Grayson's wayward header set up their goal and in the second half their left winger caused us problems, but even so there were some really wonderful moments to enjoy.

I saw somewhere that someone had shown the league position of the teams we have beaten in this run. Even if this suggests an easier run than the 1982/83 team (no, I can't be bothered to go back and check), it should not detract from an astonishing upturn in form - let alone what is required to win nine games in a row against anybody in the same division. OK, so it would be pretty amazing if we were to extend this further, given Donny's form (Josh Ruffels' potential to repeat past heroics notwithstanding), but even a point would be welcome, and impressive.

I also have to say how my view of KR just keeps going up. His comment about being in the mercy of people like Jim Smith was pure 100% class. And the deadline day signings - well. Looking at the fixture list, the next two months will be a real test, but with the squad we now have - bring it on.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: NINE (count 'em) in a row

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Genuine question - should these trophy matches count towards records? I thought after the introduction of B teams they were downgraded from being first team competitive fixtures for some technical reason. Can anyone shed any light?

I didn’t watch the game and have no idea who is still left in the competition. I’ll probably watch if we get to Wembley, assuming it isn’t against a B team, but I think I’m right in saying they haven’t even played last year’s final yet! It would be nice to end our recent Wembley hoodoo before we have to go back for anything important, I suppose.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I know the FA Trophy games count as First Team Competitive Match for FA disciplinary purposes, but there is something odd about when suspensions come into force if for instance you get a red card in a PJT game.

So did we class the match against Chelsea U-21 as FTCM?

Anyway, this season at least all the quarter-finallists were proper league teams rather than the 'invited' teams. Also I notice when a player gets released by a big EPL club, often the only matches on their cvs for their parent club are an appearance in the FA Trophy or the League Cup.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I mean if you start a run when so far down in the league, you have to beat teams above you. When we started the run, more than half the teams we have beaten in the league were above us. That shows we should have no fear going forward.

Let’s not forget that we went into November (November!) bottom (bottom!).
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

recordmeister wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:56 pm I mean if you start a run when so far down in the league, you have to beat teams above you. When we started the run, more than half the teams we have beaten in the league were above us. That shows we should have no fear going forward.

Thank you! Even if you do wish to discount the Wombles game because you do not like the competition, we still matched that incredible team from the early 1980s. It was as if some were trying to downplay this run, rather than marvelling at it and enjoying it.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Dr Bob wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:55 am
recordmeister wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:56 pm I mean if you start a run when so far down in the league, you have to beat teams above you. When we started the run, more than half the teams we have beaten in the league were above us. That shows we should have no fear going forward.

Thank you! Even if you do wish to discount the Wombles game because you do not like the competition, we still matched that incredible team from the early 1980s. It was as if some were trying to downplay this run, rather than marvelling at it and enjoying it.
Not at all. It was a genuine point of order as to whether the trophy games count as first team fixtures, rather than any personal opinion of the competition. Which still hasn't been answered. There were plenty of people saying that we had beaten Sw*nd*n 7 times in a row because the draw in the trophy didn't count, so I am surprised there's no questioning that these pizza matches are being included in the current record run. But I honestly don't know the answer. I have no problem counting them if that's the right thing to do. But we can't only count them when it suits us if we're talking about official club records.

It goes without saying that we are on an excellent run regardless - our best ever in the league. If we can start beating teams in the top half too, I'll really start to believe. For the moment, my hunch is that we've probably hauled ourselves up to around our right position in the table. I mean, you can't just keep winning every week for the rest of the season, can you? I guess we'll see - tomorrow, against another team bang in form, will be a very interesting test.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

"It goes without saying"? Really KY. I disagree totally - it does need saying, and celebrating. As for the other issue, regardless of whether or not Tinpot Trophy games count - or are counted by individuals to suit their preferred narratives, we have either equalled or broken the club's all time record. Which brings me back to my first point...
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

The EFL Trophy has been around for a long time now. I’ve not heard anything official about the match status being anything other than a 1st team match for teams other than the U21 sides.

For the 92 club it is debatable whether matches played away at U21/U23 sides count, but otherwise it is a 1st team match for us.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

I believe they are not first team fixtures. The main reason for this is to ensure the little darlings in the U21 sides don't trigger first team match appearance fees which could cost their clubs a pretty penny.

Interesting question that OY raises though as to whether it could be deemed a first team fixture for EFL clubs and a non-first team fixture for U21 sides.