January window

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

January window

Post by Kernow Yellow »

So we've belatedly heaved open the transfer window. A bit surprised by Obita's departure, but not all that gutted - I thought he'd be an integral part of our team when we brought him in, but he's been little more than a bit part player.

McNally continues our trend of signing promising young centre backs. Are we planning to send him out on loan, as KR implied before he signed, or will he stay and provide cover for Moore and Atkinson?

And we want Will Grigg. Again. But so do today's opponents, apparently. Scoring goals has not been a problem for Us recently, so I'm not sure it's a priority position, is it?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: January window

Post by recordmeister »

Hi get the feeling Robbo uses Grigg as a distraction technique- we’ve all seen the Sunderland Til I Die episode so we all know the eye watering wage he’s on, which I believe far exceeds that of anyone else at the club.

as for Obita- good business or have we become a club that The Chairboys now buy from? I can’t work out if I should be sorry or not bothered. I’ll tell you when the results start coming in...
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Agree about Obita. His performances and impact have, at best, levelled off. Hearing about his personal circumstances, his move makes sense all ways round. Interesting listening to the post-match discussion yesterday and speculation around the perceived failures of Winnall since his move. Would Grigg compete with Taylor and WInnall, or replace Winnall? Still find it an odd move, though, to be chasing him so publicly.

In other news, I found this amusing:
https://the72.co.uk/217693/plymouth-arg ... -loan-ace/
- how both Oxford and Plymouth were being linked with a player (Harrison Biggins) that neither manager had any interest in.

In the other direction, we have reportedly turned down a £500k bid from Millwall for Brannagan. Hard to imagine there is time for them to sort out such a deal in time, or is that just wishful thinking? But I guess this is just a sign of things to come, putting us back to where we were last Spring should we not get promoted...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Cameron Brannagan, imo, is a better player than either Ledson or Rothwell were when they got picked up by Championship clubs, and they have both been regular starters since their moves. CamBran isn't quite performing at his best at the moment thanks to his recent serious health scare. Are Millwall gambling that we would rather cash in now than risk waiting to see how good he gets? Not sure of his personal circumstances, but Millwall is definitely the wrong side of London from his native North West.

I think he'd be a massive loss, and would be absolutely gutted if he goes.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

It’s the financial model that keeps us competitive, so whilst I want us to keep all our best players, I also accept that we have to move players on when decent fees are available.

Cam Bran is a £2m player all day long in my view. Millwall are trying it on.

Unless it was for crazy wages, I would hope no Oxford player wants to leave for a Championship club, when we could easily be playing in that division next season.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Very good business - impressive stuff. Feels like we are really going for it now, only slight concern is the number of loanees - would be nice to have some of these players on a perm (and not sure we can fit them all in a matchday squad!) but the 18 (or whatever it is now) is going to be something else.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I agree Ty - very good business. We have defensive cover from Grayson, and I wonder if McNally might now go out on loan, as Atkinson did last year. We have the winger (hopefully 'pacy'). After Obita's departure, KR said he was looking for two wingers - can Lee play out wide?

But I get the impression that, in the last few years, the loan market has become ever more important for lower league clubs - especially in the January window. Starting from the PL, the way clubs build up squads there and in the Championship means limited space for younger players to get direct game time in 'men's' football, as opposed to U23 (as with Grayson). And from this year, with the salary cap exemption, this route is more popular than before for clubs in Divisions 3 and 4.

Sometimes it might result in permanent moves (eg Roofe), or developing players who do well for us then go onwards and upwards elsewhere (eg Baldock, Kenny) - but we have got to have the reputation of a good style of play and treating players well to get decent players this way (Barker looks really interesting and there seems to be some surprise he even went out on loan, let alone down to English Division 3). With Lee, it is a case of a player in a team that goes up the leagues, and he does not get as much game time as previously. Another situation where a loan might turn permanent.

Bottom line - I think the transfer market has been getting more complex and multifaceted for a while now - and our incomings (and outgoings) capture this perfectly.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Agree that the transfer and loan market is changing with the salary cap.
At Oxford United we can see two aspects:-
Players will drop down from higher leagues to get game time and be developed and then move up the leagues again.
The club can get decent transfer fees selling a player or two each season.

However, due to salary cap, it is more likely that players will only come in on loan, preferring to keep their higher salaries from the EPL and Championship, as we are unlikely to be able to afford to buy players and pay big wages within the cap.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

The best part of yesterday is not losing any of our best players. With Grayson and McNally coming in, I was worried we might lose Atkinson or Moore. Isn't it too late for McNally to go out on loan now? Surely that's what yesterday's deadline was about, judging by the nature of our business. A word of caution on the defensive signings - Grayson has zero league appearances at our level or above, and only 8 in total (with Grimsby). McNally has even fewer appearances in the Irish League. They provide cover, and might end up being very good, but certainly do not bring any experience.

The forward players are very promising, although Barker has surprisingly few first team appearances given that he's 24. I imagine he will provide competition for Shodipo, and Lee for Henry.

I guess these new arrivals will replace Mousinho, Cooper, Clare and Obita in the first team squad of 22. Is that how it works?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:45 pm Isn't it too late for McNally to go out on loan now? Surely that's what yesterday's deadline was about
OOPS! Of course, we signed Atkinson but then sent him back out on loan from whence he came, as part of the one deal. :oops: