Gas Meeters

Anything yellow and blue
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Gas Meeters

Post by Geoff »

It seems an eternity since the Burton Albion game. Can't wait. It's good to have a settled winning side with competition for places. I'm optimistic of three points today assuming the extended break doesn't take its toll. Hopefully Bristol won't injure Taylor like they did at the Memorial.

My forecast is 2-0 Henry and McGuane.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Gas Meeters

Post by slappy »

Well that was an enjoyable three points.
That would have been a great atmosphere with a packed away end sent home after a 2-0 defeat with a double from Matty Taylor.
I can imagine the home crowd singing "Matty Taylor hates the gas" for a good part of the match.

How are we still only 11th after winning five games in a row in the league?

Also a fitting send off for Lloyd Calcutt and Dave Cudd, two Oxford fans through and through. I didn't know Lloyd to talk to, but he was a recognisable character home and away. Dave I knew first from TiU and then in person through saying hello when he was fund raising at the Priory, and he always took time to say hello with a kind word.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

slappy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:04 pm How are we still only 11th after winning five games in a row in the league?
Probably because of the games we have NOT played, whilst other teams have continued to have games and pick up points.

One thing that was really clear to me was the value of having a really tall centre back. I thought Moore was phenomenal - although defensively we were pretty good throughout. And that one save from Stevens, having had so little to do behind the defence, helped prevent The Gas get any momentum or encouragement.

I feared we would start too slowly and whilst we took a while to get back up to speed, we maintained sufficient solidity to keep them at bay. After that, it was just a question of being patient and seeing how we could build up pressure.

Reading one or two pieces from their side, much was made of their inability to defend set pieces (and not just in this game), but since Mous got involved, our greater effectiveness from set pieces has been fantastic - especially given that it seemed, for season after season, that we were incapable of scoring from them.

Solid all-round performance - but how good for the snake to get a brace. Just hope McGuane's injury is not serious. Heading into an extended period of two games a week, we need everybody fit. I have not enjoyed us missing so many games but (dangerously?) I am so looking forward to the rest of the season.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

I managed to forecast the score even if the scorers were wrong!

For the first ten minutes we seemed to struggle with the pace of the game. Understandable as we hadn't played for 11 days and many of yesterday's team didn't start that day either. We gradually started to pass the ball around well and deserved to go in at half time one up. Brannagan was playing better than we had any right to expect considering his layoff and the fact he ended up playing for over 75 minutes. Hopefully McGuane's injury won't be too serious. Taylor showed the value of having a CLASS striker in the team, his second goal was very coolly taken. Stevens wasn't called on very often but was effective when needed and pulled off one terrific save to stop them scoring in the top corner. Bristol had two really good chances in the second half which better L1 teams would have definitely had on target but given Stevens' current form might not have been scored anyway. Hanlon looked to be their best player. Generally though our defence looks a solid unit and it was a good team performance. Can't wait for Tuesday!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

slappy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:04 pm How are we still only 11th after winning five games in a row in the league?
Something to do with our awful start to the season I imagine. We've really hit some form now though. Saturday was another where it wasn't too stressful to watch, unusually. That's not to say Rovers didn't have chances, but after a shaky opening spell we were pretty much in control of the game thereafter.

The defensive five are looking really good now. Another assist for Josh Ruffels too! Great to see Brannagan back - he wasn't up to his usual standards, but was well worth his place on the pitch. The weak link for me was Kelly - he's a flair player with obvious skill and vision, but sloppy at times and too weak defensively. Having our top striker bang on it is obviously a massive help. Winnall again committed more fouls than actual touches of the football - will he ever be ready?

Great to have some football to watch - this lockdown is getting very boring.