Green shoots

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Green shoots

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Four points from two away games can't be sniffed at. I'm happier with last night's point at Pompey than I was at scraping past an awful Wigan side at the weekend.

On Saturday our passing and thinking was poor, and we kept giving the ball away or making the wrong decision. The big positive is that we created chances and got the win, but we still contrived to almost throw it away against non-league standard opponents.

Yesterday we just seemed much more mentally switched on, like we knew what to do when in possession. Too often this season we have been ponderous on the ball, and easily snuffed out by the opposition. But last night we really worried Portsmouth for decent periods. We still looked a bit shaky when they had the ball - our defence still has a way to go before they will reassure me. But they had more protection from midfield - Gorrin particularly stepped up his game compared to recent performances. And Eastwood was a commanding presence behind them, which was good to see after his dodginess at Wigan.

I hope Robinson has finally seen the light regarding Sean Clare, though I can't believe it's taken him so long to see what we all could after a game and a half. Good to see the subs making a real impact too (Taylor aside, who, despite being our top scorer, hasn't really got into his stride yet and his frustration is evident).

Anyway, last night has convinced me that there can be more to this campaign than a relegation fight - our strongest all-round performance of the season so far imo.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Green shoots

Post by recordmeister »

Totally agree on all that. Saturday, despite the opponents, is going to be a big test to see if we can keep the momentum going. I almost feel as if it is a good thing that it is behind closed doors, as I think the carrying on of momentum is far more important for our season than a win against local rivals and to take the 'emotion' out of the game is probably no bad thing.

It is, however, also my birthday on Sat and the Black Friday offer of 50% off home shirts came at just the right time, so I'll be sitting in front of my computer with my new shirt on, a glass or two of bubbly, hoping we can do one over on the Scum... all in the name of 'momentum' you understand!?! ;-)
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Our win against a desperately poor Wigan side might have had its (considerable) limitations, but I also believe that the simple fact that we won, and scored two goals (in particular with Taylor getting one), was extremely valuable mentally, going into last night's game. This was clearly going to be a very different proposition with Pompey in such great form, but apart from Atkinson's failure to really attack the cross for their goal, there was nothing that particularly scared me about our first half performance. What was so great, though, what the fact that we can now bring on substitutes who can actually change the game - in this case the shift from sitting somewhere between and doing OK but without really being a threat, to really starting to push Pompey back and cause them problems.

I agree with with everything that has been said about Sean Clare. I also agree with his questioning how the hell he got booked when several Pompey players could and should have been - in large measure for their regular fouling of Clare. But I would say the same about McGuane's improving performances. He is starting to look like someone who finally understands what being a footballer in this division requires.

But this also begs the question - will the Crewe defeat prove to be the turning point for our season? Whatever was said in the dressing room and the subsequent 1-2-1s with KR, something has shifted. It started to show on Saturday and was more visible (and effective) last night - just in time for Saturday. Of course, the two matches next week will be a thoroughly tough test of this, but one game at a time and I am at least feeling more positive about our chances against The Auld Enemy.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »