Up hill and down Dale

Anything yellow and blue
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Up hill and down Dale

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Much better.

How we have missed Gorrin. So important for us.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re: Up hill and down Dale

Post by Ancient Colin »

I have never understood why people don't call him Rodríguez (which would, by convention, be his name, patriarchal though that might be, and is what's on his shirt). Isn't that what we used to sing, too? I mean, we don't talk about the Spanish tennis player Rafa Parera, or Manchester City's manager Pep Sala, do we?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

The result was certainly a huge relief. Were we that much better though? Once we get a couple of goals we look like a confident team who could score at will. But we could so easily have found ourselves 2-1 down at the start of the second half, without really having created any great chances ourselves up to that point. And for the first hour we often seemed to be out of shape, with big holes in our midfield which Rochdale exploited. Henry's passing was particularly wayward, and it just looked like a poor game of football, barely worthy of League 1.

The catalyst was Shodipo, not only for his emphatic first touch but the energy and pace he brought to the team. A great impact player to bring off the bench. And we defended better as a team - Elliott Moore is becoming a really solid player, and it's so nice to have a genuine threat from set pieces now.

A big win definitely, but I'm not convinced we've turned the corner yet.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:34 am The result was certainly a huge relief. Were we that much better though? Once we get a couple of goals we look like a confident team who could score at will. But we could so easily have found ourselves 2-1 down at the start of the second half, without really having created any great chances ourselves up to that point. And for the first hour we often seemed to be out of shape, with big holes in our midfield which Rochdale exploited. Henry's passing was particularly wayward, and it just looked like a poor game of football, barely worthy of League 1.

The catalyst was Shodipo, not only for his emphatic first touch but the energy and pace he brought to the team. A great impact player to bring off the bench. And we defended better as a team - Elliott Moore is becoming a really solid player, and it's so nice to have a genuine threat from set pieces now.

A big win definitely, but I'm not convinced we've turned the corner yet.
I agree, not a performance that different to the last few but we had a bit of luck with Rochdale missing the open goal then scoring immediately afterwards. Not all luck though, as although Eastwood made a mistake with save, he did very well to recover and must have influenced the Rochdale player who shanked wide. On the plus side we got better as the game went on and Moore looked the part even without his goals. There seemed more determination to block shots, which led to the penalty, but saved us a number of times. McGuane is very one footed (and goes backwards a lot) for a player with what is quite an impressive history.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

We were certainly not that much better in some regards, but the way we got bodies behind the ball to block shots and the way our subs actually made an impact were important shifts. Moore and Long are working well together. Shodipo certainly made a huge impact, but I thought Sykes played well also. His willingness to defend from the front, but also to really get stuck in and look to drive forwards, all helped shift the momentum of the game. But I also think that the nature of our passing game requires a rhythm that does not just happen. It takes time to come and if along the way we get a few wins from adequate rather than spellbinding performances then so be it. But along the way, that sort of defensive display and strong performances from substitutions will help stabilise things.