Crewe-perbole

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Crewe-perbole

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

A lot of bluster knocking about on social media (from both sets of fans) over the decision to postpone today's game. But if you look at the club statement, it's neutrally-worded and measured. Crewe travelled down yesterday, a test showed up positive today, and all parties agreed the postponement.

The calls by some of our supporters for the game to be awarded to us are way off. This was a league game, not a cup game like Spurs v Orient a few weeks ago, so it can be replayed later in the season without upsetting the league schedule. Equally, the anger from some Crewe supporters because K-Rob was apparently the one agitating for the postponement is misplaced; of COURSE he wanted to err on the side of caution, any reasonable person would do. It was the right decision, albeit taken later in the day than would have been ideal, and it makes sense to replay it another day.

The more interesting question for me is whether the season is likely to complete with these sorts of incidences starting to happen regularly. We're already playing a compressed season, with very few weeks where there isn't already a slate of midweek fixtures. If we have a bad winter as well and a slew of postponements, things could start to get very tricky indeed.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Crewe-perbole

Post by Dr Bob »

Yes, but...
I understand that the EFL will review the circumstances because that is what they do with ALL postponed matches. But it does appear that Crewe came to the stadium and seemingly wanted to play the game even though one of their players had received a positive test prior to them leaving their hotel for the ground. It also appears that this action (which seems dangerous in and of itself to me) did not break any EFL guidelines (which seems crazy in and of itself to me).

I think how the EFL reacts to this particular instance will be extremely important in the context of the national upturn in Covid cases. Maybe nothing will happen in terms of the match itself (other than it needing to be rescheduled), but if all of the rumoured circumstances are confirmed, EFL protocols are surely going to have to be strengthened.

I agree fully with your final point, but I think the answer to that comes after the EFL sorts out its currently inadequate protocols. Because if it does not, then if games are called off over a single positive case within a group who have trained and travelled together, as they should be, then the number of postponed games could multiply very rapidly.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

To your last point, Dr Bob: the postponement of games will only happen if a positive case is discovered, which can only happen if players are tested. Ergo I can see why the ELF want to not have players tested on a regular basis, because it *will*, with a second wave, cause many, many postponements and an utter headache for the ELF. It is in the interests of the ELF to not have this tasting (as mad, sad and as dangerous as that sounds) because it is in their interest to not have games postponed.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

recordmeister wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:33 am To your last point, Dr Bob: the postponement of games will only happen if a positive case is discovered, which can only happen if players are tested. Ergo I can see why the ELF want to not have players tested on a regular basis, because it *will*, with a second wave, cause many, many postponements and an utter headache for the ELF. It is in the interests of the ELF to not have this tasting (as mad, sad and as dangerous as that sounds) because it is in their interest to not have games postponed.
Time for some 'ELF and safety' then........I'll get my coat.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Bloody autocorrect!
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Dr Bob wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:17 am Because if it does not, then if games are called off over a single positive case within a group who have trained and travelled together, as they should be, then the number of postponed games could multiply very rapidly.
Also, anyone who is in contact with a positive covid19 person should self-isolate for 14 days should they not? It's difficult to keep track but that's the actual law now isn't it?
So Crewe should be out of action for the next fortnight, but haven't seen mention of this so presumably I'm wrong.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Isaac wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:05 am
Dr Bob wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:17 am Because if it does not, then if games are called off over a single positive case within a group who have trained and travelled together, as they should be, then the number of postponed games could multiply very rapidly.
Also, anyone who is in contact with a positive covid19 person should self-isolate for 14 days should they not? It's difficult to keep track but that's the actual law now isn't it?
So Crewe should be out of action for the next fortnight, but haven't seen mention of this so presumably I'm wrong.
I was wondering the same thing. Apparently it's "close contact" and isolate for up to 14 days even if you've had a negative test. Or is there an "elite" sports exemption?
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

My understanding is that Crewe knew about the positive test before travelling.
When they arrived at the ground, despite knowing about that positive test, several of their team entered the stadium and worse still, entered our dressing room.
If those are indeed the correct facts, I can well see why some think Crewe should forfeit.

Robbo was entirely correct to refuse to play the game.

Fortunately, our squad has been subsequently tested and is COVID free, no thanks to Crewe.

Weren’t ELF a nineties indie band? 😃
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:48 pm My understanding is that Crewe knew about the positive test before travelling.
When they arrived at the ground, despite knowing about that positive test, several of their team entered the stadium and worse still, entered our dressing room.
If those are indeed the correct facts, I can well see why some think Crewe should forfeit.

Fortunately, our squad has been subsequently tested and is COVID free, no thanks to Crewe.

I'd also heard people complaining that Crewe had entered "our dressing room" which sounds like they went into the home changing room. I asked Steve Kinniburgh on twitter if this could be true (as he was doing the Radio Ox show) and he said that away teams NEVER go in the home changing room as managers have team plans up, tactics etc. So players would be very unlikely to be in close contact with our team before a game. Evenso, perhaps they went into the away dressing room meaning it needed a deep clean?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

slappy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:55 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:48 pm My understanding is that Crewe knew about the positive test before travelling.

I'd also heard people complaining that Crewe had entered "our dressing room" which sounds like they went into the home changing room. I asked Steve Kinniburgh on twitter if this could be true (as he was doing the Radio Ox show) and he said that away teams NEVER go in the home changing room as managers have team plans up, tactics etc. So players would be very unlikely to be in close contact with our team before a game. Evenso, perhaps they went into the away dressing room meaning it needed a deep clean?
They did indeed deep clean the relevant areas of the stadium prior to the game against the Gas:
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1877 ... tponement/