Cup out

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Cup out

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Bit of a sickener last night. I just knew that we would regret missing all those chances in the first half, but for Watford to leave it so late, and then completely annihilate us at penalties, was grim viewing. Still, at least we showed that we can play more incisive football than we did on Saturday.

Clare was much improved, and looked useful. Sam Long filled in well at left back, and made some storming runs. A better winger might expose his weaker foot more though. Moore played well for 89 minutes, and proved a real threat from corners. Forde was a revelation. Hall was right on it, which is nice to see. And Cooper got stuck in well, despite missing an absolute sitter and some dodgy decision making. Agyei didn't really see enough of the ball to create much, despite our complete dominance for the first half hour. Osei had a bit of a thankless task, but didn't do it very well at all. Just didn't look up to speed mentally with his teammates.

The big worry is how much we crumbled in midfield after Kelly and McGuane came on, particularly when up against ten men. I reckon they both featured heavily in KR's plans for the season, but haven't got going at all.

Stevens' only mistake was starting to come for the cross which left him out of position for their equaliser. He looked very assured otherwise. Shame that he didn't get to be a shootout hero.

Much of the game was extremely watchable, made more so by the fact that the ifollow camera work was such an improvement on Lincoln's efforts. Not a bad service really for a tenner with RadOx commentary perfectly synched, especially when viewed on a big telly using an HDMI cable.

Oh well, we can concentrate on the League for a few months...
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Re: Cup out

Post by OtmoorYellow »

It was bad enough not being able to break down Lincoln's double decker bus park.

In truth it was much more difficult to swallow the defeat against Watford because we created so many top notch chances. Shooting over the bar from 6 yards out with a virtually open goal to aim at, hitting the post at least once, their keeper making 3 worldy saves in the 90 minutes, and numerous other near misses.

And then to be hit by the very late strike on a moment of lapse of concentration at the back.

And then the worst penalty shoot out I've ever seen us take part in.

Sickening as an away tie against Newport in the 3rd round represented another great opportunity to reach the latter stages of the competition.

And we had to pay £10 for the privilege of watching on a screen.

We need very much to start putting our chances away to get what we deserve from the games.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Forde needs to learn to put a penalty the other side, his last three were in the same place, goalies do get told.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Another cup exit. Can't say I'm as bothered by this as in most years - the joy of the FA Cup for me is getting a nice juicy tie and a chance to visit a new or great ground, which obviously isn't an option at present. And we could do with a bit of concentrating on the league. When did City last go further than Us? I have a feeling it wasn't that long ago, but it can't have happened very often in recent times. Two ex-Us scoring the goals as well, and David Oldfield as manager (memories of his overhead kick at Dover at the same stage of the competition come flooding back).

Anyway, our match was more of the same really. Playing some nice football, looking on top, conceding silly goals, losing. At least we created some decent chances this time - Hall and Taylor should both have scored. Time and patience must be running out for Kelly and McGuane - they are not what we need in the middle. What we need is Brannagan and Gorrin back, but who knows when we'll see that partnership together again. Sykes and Hall were no better either. Shodipo can be a bit frustrating, and needs to stay on his feet, but at least he gives us something different and unexpected. I definitely want to see more of him. Stevens can't really be faulted for the goals, but I thought he looked a little too eager to come and claim balls at times, and only just got away with rushing out of his box on one occasion. He at least provides decent cover though if nothing else - I won't be watching the Pizza Trophy match to see more of him tonight. Did Winnall touch the ball? He looks well off the pace to me.

And we've signed an experienced left-back. Hooray! Much as I like Ruffels, he's had a bit of a torrid time this season so far. If we could move Long to right back, push Clare forward and use Forde centrally I'd be more comfortable, with Ruffels as cover for a couple of positions. That relies on having another centre back available though.

Hey ho, COYY.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I missed the first ten minutes or so didn't see their first goal or the penalty decision. But after that I thought we played well, Peterborough seemed happy to sit back and defend their goal lead. It wasn't a game where I thought we looked like a team in the relegation places against the league leaders, which gives hope for the rest of the season. But hasn't it often been the case over the last few seasons that we play well against good sides, but struggle against 'anti-football' sides?

Shodipo perhaps tried a little too hard, but having a player like that to create chancesI think will do us well, particularly against some of the slower defenders in the league.