Hoping history does not repeat itself

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Hoping history does not repeat itself

Post by Dr Bob »

So we are getting a keeper in on emergency loan:
https://the72.co.uk/256147/oxford-unite ... n-on-loan/

The circumstances may not have been as an emergency loan, but my immediate thought was of:
http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/player/200/
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Hoping history does not repeat itself

Post by slappy »

Didn't we have a couple of single appearance emergency GKs at the end of 2011/12?
Connor Ripley vs Southend L2-0
Emiliano Martinez vs Port Vale L3-0
Whatever happened to Martinez (apart from winning the FA Cup with Arsenal in 2020, moving to Aston Villa for £17M and then winning the Copa America with Argentina)?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I watched this on i-follow.
2 early goals made it a lot easier for the emergency GK.
For a makeshift team I thought we played well, though Fleetwood have dropped away.
Hasn't their owner got into some financial trouble?

Another one for the list (has anyone got one?) of clubs who sack their manager immediately after playing us. I always think of this as there seem to have been quite a few over the years though i can't remember them now.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

slappy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:33 pm I watched this on i-follow.
2 early goals made it a lot easier for the emergency GK.
For a makeshift team I thought we played well, though Fleetwood have dropped away.
Hasn't their owner got into some financial trouble?

Another one for the list (has anyone got one?) of clubs who sack their manager immediately after playing us. I always think of this as there seem to have been quite a few over the years though i can't remember them now.
He’s on trial for fraud and money laundering. If he has to pull the plug they are likely to be in serious trouble as it’s heavily rumoured that a lot of Fleetwood’s income comes from some rather creative inter-company rental arrangements.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news ... rt-3426023

And then there is this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... -Iraq.html
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I was worried about this before kick-off but we did ok. Fleetwood being very poor helped Us out - they hardly touched the ball for the first 20 minutes, even if they scored soon after that. It's hard to tell what Trueman was like - I thought he should have done better for their goal, and his judgement when coming (or not) for crosses didn't look too decisive, but it's sometimes hard to tell the angle from a fixed camera position. He had very little else to do.

The biggest positive was the defence - Long was immense in the middle, McNally won everything that came his way and Hanson did well at full-back too. I'm still not totally convinced by Seddon. In the midfield, Brannagan was at the top of his game, while Kane and Henry enjoyed the space the opposition gave them to play inviting balls into. They were both guilty of giving the ball away while attempting clever flicks too near their own goal, though, and Kane's underhit pass which led to their goal was very poor.

Holland (his excellent goal aside) and Bodin were generally unconvincing, wanting too many touches before moving the ball on. Whyte got into some nice positions as a central forward, but never looked like scoring. We really need a back-up for Matt Taylor, though they're notoriously hard to find in January.

Overall KR did a great job with the limited resources at his disposal. His touchline management style is reminiscent of my kids' football coaches though! The players obviously don't mind being constantly chivvied and encouraged during the game, so no complaints if it's working. You'd have thought professional footballers shouldn't need to be told what position to be in and which balls to chase throughout the game...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Bit worried about Saturday though. Beating Fleetwood at home when they're out of form and the manager's on the cusp of sacking is one thing (even if we're down to the bare bones); going to Rotherham will be different gravy entirely, and I fear they'll rip us a new one.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:42 pm Bit worried about Saturday though. Beating Fleetwood at home when they're out of form and the manager's on the cusp of sacking is one thing (even if we're down to the bare bones); going to Rotherham will be different gravy entirely, and I fear they'll rip us a new one.
We’re at home!
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

So it is! Still think they'll rip us a new one. :lol:
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Four points from six for Connal Trueman as he returns to Birmingham City.
Though I think we can count ourselves very lucky with the point on Saturday after Rotherham hit the post and the bar and missed from a few yards out.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

We were lucky in the first half there's no doubt, but were the better side in the second half and given all the circumstances deserved the point.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

One of those matches where the "shots on target" stats don't tell the whole story.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59356799

OUFC 5, Rotherham 1.

Hitting the post and the bar count as "off-target", whereas a soft "poke the ball towards the goalkeeper" who calmly picks up, counts as on-target.

Still I'm happy with a point against the league leaders, and they will probably say the same, win your home games and draw away is promotion form. About ten minutes into the game I was so cold I was ready to leave well before half-time if we were two down, and probably at half-time if just one down. I managed to stick the game out to the end, but need to dig out gloves and proper headwear for the future.