<< Gaskins
Rix Rex >>

Too much wind

From the Rage Online newsdesk Saturday, March 20th, 2004  

United’s game at Mansfield was abandoned at half-time this afternoon, with the score at 0-0, due to high winds that, in the opinion of referee H. Webb made the game unplayable. He was apparently influenced by a Dean Whitehead free kick shortly before half-time, when Deano needed several attempts at placing the ball before it kept still. This would have been David Oldfield’s first game in charge of the team, following Ian Atkins’s suspension by Firoz Kassam yesterday evening, following the announcement by Bristol Rovers that Atkins was due to join them in the Summer. Atkins has kind of denied this statement (claiming that nothing has been signed), but it appears that his position in charge of the Us will almost certainly be ended at a special board meeting on Monday.

Oldfield had been quite bold in his choice of team for the game, although his hand was tied to some extent by injuries. He brought Dave Waterman into the back three due to Matt Bound having a toe injury, and Paul Wanless returned to the midfield following Barry Quinn’s groin strain that he suffered in the Cheltenham game on Wednesday. Up front Oldfield handed a first start to Richard Walker, who is no longer a loanee, as United have taken over his contract until the end of the season. Unfortunately, the abandonment means that none of this is of any relevance. Other player-related news is that Andy Scott has allegedly left Oxford to sign for Orient, although this has not yet been confirmed.

Because of the game being called off the Us have slipped down to fifth, with Torquay going up to third after beating Cambridge 3-0 at Plainmoor. League leaders Doncaster needed another late equaliser to avoid defeat, this time by Darlington, the game ending 1-1. This takes them five points clear of Hull, whose game at Southend was postponed. Huddersfield’s match at Northampton was abandoned after 39 minutes, with the Cobblers 1-0 up, and Yeovil’s match at York was also postponed. Lincoln have now moved up to fifth, four points behind Oxford, after winning 2-0 at Orient.

At the bottom of the table Carlisle lost 2-0 at Rochdale, who move up to 19th, and Macclesfield had an amazing 4-1 win at Kidderminster, to leave the Macc lads just three points below a clutch of three clubs on 41 points, including Bristol Rovers who lost 1-0 at Boston. Swansea beat Scunthorpe 4-1 to move up to just five points below the play-off places. Lee Maddison scored for Gretna in their 2-1 win over Elgin City.

This entry was posted on Saturday, March 20th, 2004 at 12:00 am and appears under 2004, News Items, OldNews. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

© Rage Online 1998 - 2018 All rights reserved. If you want to copy stuff, please quote the source

another fine mash from ox4encoding