Yemi Yemi Yemi

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Yemi Yemi Yemi

Post by ty cobb »

ON ON ON.

So we've given up on trying to catch Daggers then, content with a point against a very poor Halifax team. Once we conceeded there was only one team looking for a win, new striker clearly knackered so why leave Yemi on the bench - I was fuming as the minutes ticked by.

What a rubbish game, I find it hard to beleive that anyone other than a Oxford or Halifax fan would want to watch that tripe, I think it was the worst game of football I have ever seen on TV and made me seriously consider renewing my season ticket should we not go up. The pitch didn't help but not watching a game live for once hammered home just how devoied of any real talent we are. It was like a Sunday league game, as soon as we can get the ball into the box and hope they make a mistake so we can score from it, the only bit of skill really was their goal but he was certainly given enough space.

The only plus point for me was that I had a 10 minute walk home rather than a 3 hour drive down the M1 - fair play to those who went.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re: Yemi Yemi Yemi

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:ON ON ON.

So we've given up on trying to catch Daggers then, content with a point against a very poor Halifax team. Once we conceeded there was only one team looking for a win, new striker clearly knackered so why leave Yemi on the bench - I was fuming as the minutes ticked by.

What a rubbish game, I find it hard to beleive that anyone other than a Oxford or Halifax fan would want to watch that tripe, I think it was the worst game of football I have ever seen on TV and made me seriously consider renewing my season ticket should we not go up. The pitch didn't help but not watching a game live for once hammered home just how devoied of any real talent we are. It was like a Sunday league game, as soon as we can get the ball into the box and hope they make a mistake so we can score from it, the only bit of skill really was their goal but he was certainly given enough space.

The only plus point for me was that I had a 10 minute walk home rather than a 3 hour drive down the M1 - fair play to those who went.

Poor pitch but a reasonable game. Totally disagree with you.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

As one of the unfortunates who actually went, I didn't think it was the worst game in the world but maybe that's because from behind the goal you can't see as much. There's been far worse this season anyway. The team certainly competed throughout, which hasn't always been the case but lacked quality and composure around the penalty area. A decent summary of our season really. These tv games always get an extreme reaction don't they? Or maybe it's because we finished the game so poorly?

It wasn't clear if we changed to 4-4-2 after scoring, but if we did I'd rather Quinn was right back than Corcoran, who is good but not experienced enough to play out of position. Next season it'd be nice to have one player who could play left back/wing back properly rather than two who are about half a player each. Johnson is the better one at the moment, but he clearly can't play more than one game a week.

The lack of subs was mystifying too - did Smith say anything after the game? Halifax bought three on and finished very strongly, our lot looked half dead, especially up front. It might not have created a winner, but it might have made it more comfortable.

I take it the late handball by Foster looked as obvious on tv as it did at the ground?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I watched on Sky too, and I find myself uncomfortably in agreement with Ty yet again. :lol:

Both sides were poor. OK the pitch didn't help, but there was so little evidence of skill. The game dragged on and was completely dour as a TV spectacle.

When you go to wtach matches, I think the atmosphere can let you believe what you are seeing is better than it really is.

The handball wasn't handball. He fell as the ball hit him.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re: Yemi Yemi Yemi

Post by Mally »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:ON ON ON.

Poor pitch but a reasonable game. Totally disagree with you.
Why's everything so black or white with you Res Ox? ty cobb's posting had 4 paragraphs. I &quottotally&quot agree with the first two and the last paragraphs but don't think it was too bad a game,. Certainly not as bad as the last time we were on Sky against Rushden.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the atmosphere that made it better, the crowd was sparse, quiet and freezing.

It's possibly just the inherent optimism/stupidity of someone who travelled an hour and paid to get in to see a game he could easily have watched from the warmth and comfort of his own sofa!
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

well, for what it's worth, i thought it was a poor game for the neutral. i base this on the fact that i took an oxford 'sympathiser' with me to the pub, and at several points i caught him looking at the photo's on the wall.

but, i'd like to get back to ty's initial point - why wasn't odubade used (or for that matter any of the subs)? several people in the pub confidently predicted we'd see odubade for the last 30/20 minutes. fair enough, he's probably due a rest, but the dagenham game now looks entirely meaningless having not taken three points away from the shay - and at one-nil i was as confident as i ever am that we were going to do that.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

I wasn't at the game and didn't watch on Sky - was reliant on the yellow-tinted commentary of Radio Oxford - so you can take these comments with a pinch of salt, but it sounds like it started to really unravel when Smith moved from 5-3-2 to 4-4-2 - putting Anaclet up the park and Corcoran in behind at right back.

I thought Kiddy at home had proved that Corky is not a full back? Surely it would have made more sense to have moved Quinn to the right (or even brought Day on)?

It also sounded like both strikers were out on their feet well before the end - so I also wonder why Yemi didn't come on. I just don't buy the &quotsaving him for Dagenham&quot line as, let's face it, we're not going to catch them are we? Fine to play for pride but with our home record at the moment I'll settle for a point to consolidate our playoff place.

I'm getting ever more worried that Smith is making way, way too many schoolboy errors tactically.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

As another TV watcher, I found myself yelling in fury at the screen (fortunately I was at home rather than in a Reading pub) at Smith's tactics and lack of substitutions. They struggled against pace, we had a pacey forward and the bench and .... The switch to a flat four reduced our control of the middle and didn't prevent problems on the flanks either. Anyone with a vestige of belief in Jim's residual managerial ability (other than Res Ox!) surely had that dented severely last night. That said, Zebra looks a reasonable acquisition, bit of pace and mobility.

As for the game, it was low quality (the TV exposes the poor basic skill levels of many of the players) but not the worse one we've endured, I suspect. The distant camerawork and poor lighting may have made it look (even) worse.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotShoobedoo&quot wrote:I'm getting ever more worried that Smith is making way, way too many schoolboy errors tactically.
How many schoolboys actually get to make errors as managers and coaches of football teams?
entirely disenchanted
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I'm pretty sure it wasn't the atmosphere that made it better, the crowd was sparse, quiet and freezing.

It's possibly just the inherent optimism/stupidity of someone who travelled an hour and paid to get in to see a game he could easily have watched from the warmth and comfort of his own sofa!
I think we all suffer that Isaac!!
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Don't get me wrong I don't think the performance was that bad - there have certainly been worse but in terms of quality this was the worst game I have ever seen on TV at least Rushden knocked it about a bit - even Sky couldn't put a positive spin on things with 'interesting first half' being the best they could come up with at half time! Mind you I don't have Sky so don't ever watch much football lower than the Championship.

Last night made me realise just how used I have become to watching really poor football, by going every week you give up a large chunk of your free time and I really don't know if I could be bothered with another season at this level. When you're at a match the buzz and atmosphere quite often make up for the football on show but a half empty pub where you could really see the poor control, lack of ideas and movement on show makes you think that maybe its time to spend my money on something else.

We desperatly need something to cheer about to make me think its all worthwhile, bar S****** at home in the cup theres not been much over the last 8 years and you come to think why bother.

Roll on Wembley!!
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

D'you think Yemi's strengths would be apparent playing on a pitch like a ploughed field?

Why all this anti Smith nonsense? This year it appears, according to our fans, that finishing second will be a massive disaster, for which Smith will be responsible. If two, or more, went up automatically, as in the first four divisions, it would be considered a great success thanks to our god like manager. Pathetic !!!!!

I think that years of constant battering and mental torment has lead to us, the fans, losing all sense, reason and patience.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Possibly Neil but is it not also possible that Smith isn't as sharp as he was twenty years ago?

It's possible to think of some reashons why.
entirely disenchanted
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

If we do finish 2nd then that's a pretty good season by most standards. I dunno if Smith is less sharp than he was 20 years ago, possibly I guess, but I think it's difficult to compare back, especially when 20 years ago we were 3/4 divisions higher so I try not to.

On that basis I reckon Smith has done a good job and I don't understand the anti-smith feeling that's around. The team have nearly always looked well organised and for most games they've looked well motivated too (barring a couple of miserable exceptions).

There have been some considerable improvements in individual players too which isn't often commented on. Anaclet and Yemi are two who have got much better as the season has gone on (Quinn is unrecognisable from last years player too), so on balance it seems got some coaches who know what they're doing. There's obviously a lack of quality and consistency in the side, but this is the conference. Smith also arguably signed too many old players (Gilchrist, Johnson, Brevett) who aren't fit enough for the whole season but generally his signings have been &gt50% good which is a decent ratio for any manager.